Canada's MMA Forum at Top MMA News

 
You must be logged in to post Login Register


Register? | Lost Your Password?

Search Forums:


 






Wildcard Usage:
*    matches any number of characters
%    matches exactly one character

WTF kinda advice was that from Tompkins tonight?

UserPost

12:23 am
December 17, 2010


ARMBAHH

Member

posts 18

1

telling Horodecki to take the fight to the ground….wow! I was personally amazed at how well Chris was doing on his feet.

12:27 am
December 17, 2010


alex

Member

posts 22

2

faulty advice i reckon

7:39 am
December 17, 2010


Robin Black

Member

posts 235

3

When you are lighting your opponent up on the feet, and he doesn't have to worry about your takedown, he will make some striking adjustments between rounds, especially pertaining to defence and countering.

If you start threatening and attempting takedowns early in the next round, he will have to adjust to concern himself with defending the takedown. Which will re-open him up on the feet.

11:16 am
December 22, 2010


Tyler Davis

Member

posts 160

4

Wow well said robin! I see you take this whole mma thing pretty seriuosly
, I got my skills from playing mike tysons punch out and therfore fail my arms about in random directions and just see whut happens

7:50 pm
December 22, 2010


Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

5

Robin Black said:

When you are lighting your opponent up on the feet, and he doesn't have to worry about your takedown, he will make some striking adjustments between rounds, especially pertaining to defence and countering.

If you start threatening and attempting takedowns early in the next round, he will have to adjust to concern himself with defending the takedown. Which will re-open him up on the feet.


Robin, are you saying Tompkins gave good advice? Or are you just giving some insight on why Tompkins may have chosen to give this advice?

The fight did go to the ground in the first round at times and Cerrone almost got Horodecki's arm once and he did get Horodecki's back for a bit.  I think Horodecki was doing well on his feet in the first and not doing well at all on the ground on the first. Generally, Cerrone never has concerns with being taken down and fighting off of his back either.  Bad advice, in my opinion.

8:19 pm
December 22, 2010


Robin Black

Member

posts 235

6

Yeah, just kind of throwing a possible reason out there as to why he might have given that advice. Things are often not as obvious as they seem. In retrospect, that advice obviously didn't work out. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but if Chris did take him down once, did a little gnp, then got back up, then faked a second takedown and landed some huge right hands off of the fake, Sean would look like a genius now.

I think Sean was just trying to get Chris to mix it up a bit. If he was unpredictable, it would open up more options. If we were in there with them we could get a read for the feel of how the fight was really goin. Its different on TV.

2:03 pm
December 26, 2010


LBoutin

Member

posts 17

7

It was obvious that Cerrone was leagues about Horodecki on the ground.  Weird advice to say the least. 

 

Not the first time I've seen/heard Tompkins give some suspect advice (ex. He was telling Coleman to continue standing with Couture despite getting completely picked apart.  You'd think an Olympic caliber wrestler might go for a takedown once, especially considering Couture Has looked weak off his back in the past.)

Its always easier to look back after the fact and say what could have/should have worked better though.

2:07 pm
December 27, 2010


Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

8

LBoutin said:

It was obvious that Cerrone was leagues about Horodecki on the ground.  Weird advice to say the least. 

 

Not the first time I've seen/heard Tompkins give some suspect advice (ex. He was telling Coleman to continue standing with Couture despite getting completely picked apart.  You'd think an Olympic caliber wrestler might go for a takedown once, especially considering Couture Has looked weak off his back in the past.)

Its always easier to look back after the fact and say what could have/should have worked better though.


It is easier to criticize after the fact, but both of these are examples of bad advice that had many fans yelling at their TV screens while it was happening.

2:20 pm
December 27, 2010


Marc-Andre Drolet

Admin

posts 216

9

Sometimes what you hear from the corner, isn't even what they mean.

I've seen guys call from the corner for a double, and what they are REALLY doing is wanting the opponent to think that's what is happening, and while preparing to sprawl a big uppercut or head kick happens.

So you momentarily think the cornerman is an idiot, without knowing what is happening.

Hind site is a bitch though.

2:46 pm
December 27, 2010


Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

10

Marc-Andre Drolet said:

Sometimes what you hear from the corner, isn't even what they mean.

I've seen guys call from the corner for a double, and what they are REALLY doing is wanting the opponent to think that's what is happening, and while preparing to sprawl a big uppercut or head kick happens.

So you momentarily think the cornerman is an idiot, without knowing what is happening.

Hind site is a bitch though.


Sure… miscommunication is a good strategy.  However, what they say between rounds to their fighter is what they really mean and not miscommunication to their opponent.

11:58 pm
December 28, 2010


Tyler Davis

Member

posts 160

11

touche

No Tags


About the Top MMA News at topmmanews.com Forum

Most Users Ever Online: 196

Currently Online:
11 Guests

Currently Browsing this Topic:
1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1
Forums: 6
Topics: 1618
Posts: 5453

Membership:

There are 66770 Members
There have been 2 Guests

There are 3 Admins
There is 1 Moderator

Top Posters:

boygirl – 491
T.J. COLETTI – 300
harry balls – 290
Robin Black – 235
Jamie Locke – 222
Mike Davis – 212
Bobby Karimi-Busheri – 206
Sean Quinn – 196
Tyler Davis – 160
DeViLBoY – 105

Recent New Members: at0307769, starwar16, andrew14nov, rajmehta021010, Movingsolutions



 

Discussion contents reflect the views of individual participants only. Top MMA News bears no responsibility for accuracy of participant comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results. By using the Top MMA News forums, you are agreeing to abide by the Top MMA News forum rules.