Canada's MMA Forum at Top MMA News

You must be logged in to post Login Register

Register? | Lost Your Password?

Wildcard Usage:
*    matches any number of characters
%    matches exactly one character

Predictions: How many OAC sanctioned pro MMA shows will be held in Ontario in 2011?

UserPost

7:03 pm
October 31, 2010

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

Now that MMA will be legal in Ontario in 2011, how many shows do you think will be held there?

Will MMA thrive or will it be Vancouver-like and only allow the UFC there or will it be somewhere in between?

Boxing has had tough times working with Ken Hayashi in the past.

There was a card this weekend and that promoter is fuming at Hayashi at how hard it was. Here is the article. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Colu…..99041.html

7:16 pm
October 31, 2010

Robin Black

posts 235

There will be 2. Crazy outside chance that everything goes right- 3.

We'll see a UFC before the summer then maybe one more by a trusted org before the end of 2011.

Realistic bet.

7:25 pm
October 31, 2010

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

I was thinking a couple UFC shows and maybe one or two others. One UFC in April and one in the fall. If they fill the SkyDome then they will be coming back before the year is out.

8:59 pm
October 31, 2010

DeViLBoY

posts 105

I'm putting my money on a MFC show in ontario in 2011… just a hunch though.

11:42 pm
October 31, 2010

harry balls

posts 290

Not gonna happen with Hayashi there.

• The standard of excellence on any job
    site is defined by the sloppiest piece of work you will accept.

– F. Jones

If Darwin was right Bobby’s back should be turning into a matress soon.- Get Realz, on Bobby K

9:11 am
November 1, 2010

Marc-Andre Drolet

Admin

posts 216

This is one of the wierdest things i've seen. The QAC suspended a fighter until a catscan was provided.

The fighters suspension was lifted by the quebec commission without the scan being provided.  Ontario wanted the cat scan before they licensed the fighter.  When the catscan was completed there were issues with it and that's why the fighter wasn't able to compete.

Has nothing more or less to do with anything. 

Good job Ontario commission for noticing this.

Ken isn't what he was.  soon we will all see him as an ally.

10:14 am
November 1, 2010

Jamie Locke

posts 222

I can see one UFC show happenning, then a long wait for another, similar to Vancouver.

Pav has promised he will have a show in ON, I'd like to see the MFC travell to ON and BC.

2:55 pm
November 1, 2010

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

Marc-Andre Drolet said:

This is one of the wierdest things i've seen. The QAC suspended a fighter until a catscan was provided.

The fighters suspension was lifted by the quebec commission without the scan being provided.  Ontario wanted the cat scan before they licensed the fighter.  When the catscan was completed there were issues with it and that's why the fighter wasn't able to compete.

So MAD what is your prediction on the number of fights with the new found ally?

3:46 pm
November 1, 2010

Sean Quinn

posts 196

Keith Grienke said:

Marc-Andre Drolet said:

So MAD what is your prediction on the number of fights with the new found ally?

Ya, way to not answer the question. I cant see there being too many. I bet it will be very costly to put on a show and that will keep most "would be" promoters at bay.

3:47 pm
November 1, 2010

Marc-Andre Drolet

Admin

posts 216

Hard to say, i'm curious to see what their process is.

I predict 2 maybe 3 promotions run events there in 2011 MAX.

Ontario right now is not an easy place to run a boxing event. They have the most process and do more research than any other commission in the country, so it's more about who is willing to play by the rules.

Cause the crap some commissions let people get away with, won't be happening.

11:08 pm
November 1, 2010

Bobby Karimi-Busheri

posts 206

Either 1 show or around 4.

If 1, then it'll be like Vancouver, and it'll be UFC.

If 4 or so… UFC, MFC, also prob W-1 and maybe Strikeforce.

8:43 am
November 2, 2010

Robin Black

posts 235

Ken ain't pissing around. I don't know realistically if you'll see MFC , W1, or any of those…. we'll see 1 to 2 UFC shows and perhaps one new show.

It'll be a super slow process. But, in the long run, it sounds like he's gonna do things slow and get it right.

I agree with Marc-Andre that it's good to see the Ontario commission is supervigilant, like with the CT scan example above. They took heat for it in the press but they made the tough decisions.

10:40 am
November 2, 2010

trobertson

posts 6

As long as Hayashi is in charge there will be UFC only! He is lazy and makes it impossible for there to be more than one event in Ontario every few months. I agree that the requirements should be stringent to get licensed to fight or promote an event. But, the harder they make it for enough shows to happen to establish a system of smaller shows feeding experienced established fighters to bigger shows and giving athletes a chance to get work in Ontario, then the more "illegal/unsactioned" shows will keep happening around the province. The amount of events happening in Ontario needs to equal the demand for events in Ontario by athletes and fans.

Hayashi will be worse for mma than he is with boxiing, his opinion of MMA has been well documented in public for sometime now. NO way he changed his stance and anything he is saying is based on his hand being forced into doing mma events.

Ontario needs to get rid of Hayashi and get someone truly interested in developing combat sports in Ontario into a thriving industry, reaching the full potential Ontario has to be a true combat sports destination.

Ego is Potentials worst enemy.

12:53 pm
November 2, 2010

Marc-Andre Drolet

Admin

posts 216

From the conversations I had with Ken at our last CFC event he came to check out, i can't agree with you

He wouldn't have even been interested in our event if UFC was the only thing on his agenda.

It may not have been by choice that he got pushed into this direction, but based on the types of questions he was asking and the way he was involved in watching every step of our show, he is very process driven.

1:23 am
June 20, 2011

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

predictions were out to lunch

2:57 pm
September 2, 2011

Jamie Locke

posts 222

Ha, lots went down so far in ON, but also lots have fell through.

No Tags

About the Top MMA News at topmmanews.com Forum

Most Users Ever Online: 196

Currently Online:
9 Guests

Currently Browsing this Topic:
1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1
Forums: 6
Topics: 1602

Membership:

There are 66676 Members
There have been 2 Guests

There are 3 Admins
There is 1 Moderator

Top Posters:

boygirl – 491
T.J. COLETTI – 300
harry balls – 290
Robin Black – 235
Jamie Locke – 222
Mike Davis – 212
Bobby Karimi-Busheri – 206
Sean Quinn – 196
Tyler Davis – 160
DeViLBoY – 105

Recent New Members: ks35645883, randy14nov, fifaco123, PriyaReddy, williamson

Discussion contents reflect the views of individual participants only. Top MMA News bears no responsibility for accuracy of participant comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results. By using the Top MMA News forums, you are agreeing to abide by the Top MMA News forum rules.