Canadian Heavyweight Rankings – June 2011

Read original Top MMA News article

UserPost

9:48 pm
June 21, 2011

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

It's been one year since Top MMA News ranked the Heavies. Since that time, Nick Penner and Rodrigo Munduruca have not fought and this Canadian division has become desolate. Aside from Tim Hague, the absolute King of Canadian Heavyweights, its very difficult to put together a reasonable Top 5 list.

So, after considerable sulking, kicking, and screaming as well as consulting with various people around the country, Top MMA News revisits the Heavyweights. Surprisingly enough, I think we nailed the Top 5. If you disagree, please respond in the forum post here. There will be no comments allowed on the main site…

Read original Top MMA News article

9:51 pm
June 21, 2011

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

1. Hague
2. Fortin
3. Chemelli
4. Bergman
5. Mein

10:05 pm
June 21, 2011

Bobby Karimi-Busheri

posts 206

Bobby "The Peoples Voice" Rankings

Hague

Fortin

Chemelli

Mein

Bergman

10:15 pm
June 21, 2011

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

Phew.

I thought we nailed the HWs but was worried that my spider sense was off, but I know we are hitting it close when I read BKB's rankings. He is one of the most knowledgeable guys in MMA I know and he generally rearranges our rankings and rarely feels we missed someone completely.

As Pavelich called him in Fort Mac – Bobby "The MMA Gypsy" Karimi-Busheri. (As if he needs a longer name).

10:20 pm
June 21, 2011

Bobby Karimi-Busheri

posts 206

HAHAHA, screw you Keith!

12:32 pm
June 22, 2011

KURT-TRIPLE CROWN FIGHTER

posts 49

You will be seeing Jon Ganshorn coming up on the radar in the near future.  Hes been taking it one fight at a time, but I see him stepping up in the near future for some bigger fights.  His only loss is to Tim Chemelli so far, and has been spending time down in Cali training with Jamie Yager and some other pros and is ready to smash his way into the rankings.

Also my boy Vladimir Starcencov out at Tristar in Montreal.  He will be making his pro debut after two big KO's in his amature fights (one 8 seconds). Very heavy handed with a very strong Judo background.  Watch out for "The Russian Experiment"!!

12:42 pm
June 22, 2011

Bobby Karimi-Busheri

posts 206

Isn't Gashorn the guy fighting Penner in July?

10:29 pm
June 24, 2011

harry balls

posts 290

Speakin o' hevvyweights, Bruno Hosier's FB page says he is fighting Donald Brashear at Ringside 12…………..

• The standard of excellence on any job
    site is defined by the sloppiest piece of work you will accept.

– F. Jones

If Darwin was right Bobby’s back should be turning into a matress soon.- Get Realz, on Bobby K

10:18 am
June 27, 2011

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

We put up the rankings and suddenly every Heavyweight is fighting.

Hague vs Decorah
Penner vs Ganshorn
Munduruca at CFC
Hosier vs Brashear
Mein at Too Tuff II

10:35 am
June 29, 2011

Bobby Karimi-Busheri

posts 206

Need to update ranks after those fights

9:49 pm
July 6, 2011

Cody Rempel

posts 205

From Ryan Fortin’s Facebook…

“Ryan Fortin vs Raphael Bergmann for the KOTC heavyweight title. October 28th, Dawson Creek BC.”

Just waiting for confirmation from Orest before I post it in the upcoming events!

"Believe in yourself. Believe in your own potential for greatness. Believe that you can change the world.

It is something that is within each of us. Believe in the Power of One"

-Evan Tanner

11:51 pm
July 6, 2011

Bobby Karimi-Busheri

posts 206

I wanna see Mundurucca vs Brian Heden at CFC.

12:28 pm
December 16, 2011

Jamie Locke

posts 222

Anyone know anything about this guy from Kingston?

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter…..elle-17375

12:44 pm
December 16, 2011

Jamie Locke

posts 222

I can't seem to find any info on this "J-1" organization…. Is that why this guys cred is questionable?

12:58 pm
December 16, 2011

Jamie Locke

posts 222

I can't find anything on the old Google about the J-1 organization. All I can find is the Sherdog fight list…

http://www.sherdog.com/organiz…..s/J-1-2655

1:32 pm
December 17, 2011

Cj Saftic

posts 40

As far as I know, Mike Martellle is a 15-2 MMA fighter with a 2-0 boxing record.

He's the head trainer at the Grizzly Gym in Kingston, Ontario but has never competed in Canada during his pro career.

Although he's predominantly a Muay Thai fighter, he does have a brown belt in BJJ and was a semi-finalist at the 2009 ADCC world championship in Spain.

Martelle has not had a recorded MMA fight since July 10th 2010 but made his boxing debut four months later on December 19 winning a decision and again in August of this year, knocking out Jorge Cerrato in the fourth round.

For the past 2 year's he's had 1 fight in Mexico and 5 fights in Jamaica. Both of his boxing matches we're also in Jamaica giving his 7 fights there in two years.

J-1 is Jamaica Vale Tudo Championships which is Jamaica's premier MMA organization. Martelle won their four man heavyweight tournament last year.

His last 5 opponents in MMA combined for an impressive 29-10 record showing he's not fighting total cans. Both of his boxing matches we're against boxers making their debuts.

3:02 pm
December 17, 2011

Cody Rempel

posts 205

Post edited 3:03 pm – December 17, 2011 by Cody Rempel

It's odd that despite living and training in Canada, he's never fought here… although I suppose when you could fight in a slightly warmer climate like Jamaica it's not a bad thing! lol

"Believe in yourself. Believe in your own potential for greatness. Believe that you can change the world.

It is something that is within each of us. Believe in the Power of One"

-Evan Tanner

12:03 am
December 18, 2011

Jamie Locke

posts 222

I think the question is whether these fights or shows even happened, because if they di, how could you not rank this guy.

10:48 am
December 29, 2011

Cj Saftic

posts 40

You know what that's a great question. I myself would say that although it seems a tad shaddy, I do beleive that Martelle did comepte in those fights and with a 15-2 record does indeed deserve to be ranked.

Problem 1 tho is that he hasnt taken a fight in almost two years.

Problem 2 is that since his last MMA fight he's dabbled in boxing showing he might have jumped ship

and Problem 3 is he's never competed in a serious organization or on Canadian and American soil.

About the Top MMA News at topmmanews.com Forum

Most Users Ever Online: 196

Currently Online:
12 Guests

Currently Browsing this Topic:
1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1
Forums: 6
Topics: 1602

Membership:

There are 66690 Members
There have been 2 Guests

There are 3 Admins
There is 1 Moderator

Top Posters:

boygirl – 491
T.J. COLETTI – 300
harry balls – 290
Robin Black – 235
Jamie Locke – 222
Mike Davis – 212
Bobby Karimi-Busheri – 206
Sean Quinn – 196
Tyler Davis – 160
DeViLBoY – 105

Recent New Members: ks35645883, randy14nov, fifaco123, PriyaReddy, williamson

Discussion contents reflect the views of individual participants only. Top MMA News bears no responsibility for accuracy of participant comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results. By using the Top MMA News forums, you are agreeing to abide by the Top MMA News forum rules.