%    matches exactly one character

Best of 2010 – Canadian MMA Personality of the Year

Read original Top MMA News article

UserPost

11:24 am
January 1, 2011

Top MMA News Staff

posts 11

The Canadian MMA Personality of the Year award is for the Canadian who influences the world of MMA the most with his/her personality OUTSIDE of the ring or cage. The influence of these individuals can be positive or negative.

There were a vast array of nominations for this award and they ranged from Canadian fighters and promoters to politicians and media personalities. Regardless of their order, all the people on this list promoted MMA in 2010 and raised the level of awareness of our great sport.

Top Canadian Personality of 2010

1. Ariel Helwani (Journalist) – Ariel Helwani was the hand's down…

Read original Top MMA News article

12:36 pm
January 1, 2011

harry balls

posts 290

Post edited 12:37 pm – January 1, 2011 by harry balls

Helwani is great; intelligent, understated, self-deprecating , doesn't wear hideous MMA shirts, professional.

I would rather pour turpentine into my ears than listen to Mauro Renallo call a fight.  Hey Mauro, the DJ at the titty bar called: he wants his voice back…

• The standard of excellence on any job
    site is defined by the sloppiest piece of work you will accept.

– F. Jones

If Darwin was right Bobby’s back should be turning into a matress soon.- Get Realz, on Bobby K

2:08 pm
January 1, 2011

trent_thorne

posts 83

i have to agree with harry balls Ariel is by for the best canadian journalist!!! no oofence to anyone else but i just see him leaps and bounds ahead of anyone! Id give it to him easily! GSP is a great ambassador for MMA as a fighter but i think Ariel takes it one step further by the fact that everything he does is of his own volition! meaning, we all know gsp has a guy/girl who tells him exactly what to say in certain situations! Ariel is the man! hands down!

2:15 pm
January 1, 2011

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

harry balls said:

I would rather pour turpentine into my ears than listen to Mauro Renallo call a fight.  Hey Mauro, the DJ at the titty bar called: he wants his voice back…

I thought Mauro was great at the last Strikeforce.  "KOs for Christmas" was a great line.

2:43 pm
January 1, 2011

harry balls

posts 290

Nails on a goddamn chalboard.  And (Quel Surprise!) has a background in calling pro wrestiling. Great. Just great.

btw Coletti is MMA personality of the year in my books.

SILENT RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

– F. Jones

If Darwin was right Bobby’s back should be turning into a matress soon.- Get Realz, on Bobby K

5:36 pm
January 1, 2011

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

harry balls said:

Nails on a goddamn chalboard.  And (Quel Surprise!) has a background in calling pro wrestiling. Great. Just great.

Who is your fave play-by-play man?

5:50 pm
January 1, 2011

harry balls

posts 290

Jesse Ventura when he was with Gorilla Monsoon. :)

– F. Jones

6:32 pm
January 1, 2011

Keith Grienke

Admin

posts 714

harry balls said:

Jesse Ventura when he was with Gorilla Monsoon. :)

Ventura was the color man – not play-by-play.

7:36 pm
January 1, 2011

Tyler Davis

posts 160

Hairy balls good call with the titty bar dj voice. And th colleti is for sure my pic

9:40 am
January 2, 2011

Robin Black

posts 235

Ariel Helwani is the man. His interviews are always in that sweet spot in between the questions of the casual fans and the details that obsessives are after. And he’s a workhorse. The guy will take 15 interviews out of a show. I’m a big fan.

Humbling compliment to be mentioned after great names like these. Sincerely, thanks so much.
PS. Hey, I don't see how anyone can take shots at Mauro. He's encyclopedic in his knowledge, passionate, and individual i his approach. He is also in a tight race with Marc-Andre Drolet for the CMMAWSC (Canadian MMA Weed-Smokin Championship).
And seriously, when Mauro was getting on planes alone to fly to Japan and call PRIDE 10 years ago, there was no template on how to do MMA play-by-play. He was part of CREATING the MMA pbp job.
Respect to you Mauro, thanks for paving the way, and congrats.

10:23 am
January 2, 2011

Marc-Andre Drolet

Admin

posts 216

I wasn't sure how to read Mauro when he first came out, but he's grown on me, and I've really enjoyed his work. One of my highlights was having him call one of our fights (CFC 5) for the Score Fighting Series. That was a blast, and really added some legitimacy to what we were doing. Mauro doesn't pull any punches and tells it like it is.

Great point Robin about creating his own style and paving the way for MMA PBP.

It's insane how much knowledge the guy has in his brain.

LOL @ CMMAWSC (There is only 1 way to settle it!)

2:18 pm
January 2, 2011

harry balls

posts 290

Glad you like him ; I am sure he is well-versed in the sport. I just think he is ear-poison. Rogan does a decent Ranallo btw :)….

– F. Jones

2:33 pm
January 9, 2011

Jamie Locke

posts 222

Ariel Helwani number 1 for sure. Like has already been stated, this guys works his ass off to get interviews with everyone and asks all the questions both casual fans and the hard cores want to hear!

Robin Black seems to be on his way for next year though, keep it up!

3:24 pm
January 9, 2011

Robin Black

posts 235

Thank you Jamie, kind of you to say. Really appreciate it.

Keep doin yer thing too and I'll seeya out west dude.

4:47 pm
January 9, 2011

Tyler Davis

posts 160

ya robin your commentary i find is very insightful, and youve been in there so you bring the prospective of a fighter, and commentator

10:15 pm
January 15, 2011

Matt Dunning

posts 10

I have to agree Ariel Helwani is by far the best we have!But Robin has a tone of style and energy just give him some time and you will see!!!

About the Top MMA News at topmmanews.com Forum

Most Users Ever Online: 196

Currently Online:
14 Guests

Currently Browsing this Topic:
1 Guest

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1
Forums: 6
Topics: 1610

Membership:

There are 66759 Members
There have been 2 Guests

There are 3 Admins
There is 1 Moderator

Top Posters:

boygirl – 491
T.J. COLETTI – 300
harry balls – 290
Robin Black – 235
Jamie Locke – 222
Mike Davis – 212
Bobby Karimi-Busheri – 206
Sean Quinn – 196
Tyler Davis – 160
DeViLBoY – 105

Recent New Members: starwar16, andrew14nov, rajmehta021010, Movingsolutions, ks35645883

Discussion contents reflect the views of individual participants only. Top MMA News bears no responsibility for accuracy of participant comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results. By using the Top MMA News forums, you are agreeing to abide by the Top MMA News forum rules.