Rogers Place Hosts UFC 216 in Edmonton on September 9

Edmonton, Canada – UFC® announced today that it will stage its first-ever event in Edmonton at Rogers Place on Saturday, September 9. Edmonton now becomes the 10th Canadian city to host a UFC card. UFC® 216 marks the UFC’s second Canadian event this year, following a successful return to Halifax in February.

A special UFC® 216 microsite – UFC.com/edmonton – launches today, providing registering fans with pre-sale access to tickets and event related information. Stay tuned for bout announcements.

“We are thrilled to hold our first pay-per-view event in Edmonton,” Joe Carr, UFC Senior Vice President, Head of International and Content said. “Fans have long been asking us to bring the Octagon® back to Alberta, and we can’t wait to deliver a blockbuster event at state-of-the-art Rogers Place this September.”

“Edmonton is a great sports city and what we’ve been able to accomplish, and the energy and excitement we’ve been able to bring to Rogers Place is truly remarkable,” Bob Nicholson, Oilers Entertainment Group CEO & Vice Chair added. “I can’t think of a better way to celebrate our one year anniversary and say thank you to fans in Edmonton and across Western Canada than by bringing a championship UFC fight to Rogers Place.”

Ticket and card information will be released at a later date.

UFC® 216 will be available live on pay-per-view on Saturday, September 9 at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT on UFC.TV, iN DEMAND, DirecTV, DISH Network, Vubiquity, and in Canada on BellTV, Rogers, Shaw Communications, Sasktel, and Canal Indigo for a suggested retail price of $49.99 US/CAN for Standard Definition and $59.99 US/CAN for High-Definition.

Since 2008, the UFC has staged 23 events in the Great White North, across nine different cities – Calgary, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Saskatoon, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg. UFC events have set single-day event gate records in four Canadian venues: Calgary’s Scotiabank Saddledome (UFC 149), Montreal’s Bell Centre (UFC 124), Toronto’s Rogers Centre (UFC 129) and Winnipeg’s MTS Centre (UFC 161).

For more information or current fight news, visit UFC.com. All bouts live and subject to change.

48 Responses to “ Rogers Place Hosts UFC 216 in Edmonton on September 9 ”

1. MMAFAN!!! says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 8 Thumb down 21

2. Rancor says:

Here we fucking go ahead. Why in gods name do local fighters feel that they should be signed to the UFC just because the UFC comes to their hometown?

The UFC doesnt need local fighters to fill every single seat in Rogers place. They have a stacked roster of some of the best fighters in the world, people will pay the retarded amount tickets will be to see these elite fighters, not some local Edmonton fighter.

Already we have morons like Parwez Ghulam and Victor Valimaki on the fucking news wanting to be on the card. Why? Tell me one fucking reason why Parwez should be in the UFC? Guy got rolled on by Demarce and Sabah yet thinks he’s UFC calibre. Why? Oh because they are having a show in his hometown.

Thats like having one of the Oilers get hurt and then some kid that plays Junior A that is born and raised in Edmonton starts demanding a shot to fill his place. That would never fucking fly.

UFC is for the most elite fighters. They have more than enough money to fly down elite fighters from their roster to Edmonton.

Enough with this local fighter bullshit

3. topmmafan says:

Couldn’t agree more with the statement above ^^^

Entitlement really bugs me. I think anyone who says, “The UFC is coming to Edmonton so there needs to be local fighters such as this guy, this guy and this guy be on the card” is just a fair-weather fan who knows minimal about the sport and feels a sense of entitlement. Does Arnett deserve to be in the UFC? Yes. Miles Anstead? Lost to Dewsbury who is on a 5 fight finishing streak, he aint in the UFC, Anstead shouldnt be neither. And Boser? He just lost a month and a half ago to a guy with 9 fights and 4 wins, I don’t think so. Enough with the amateur entitlement comments.

4. Patty says:

I hear Pat Reid is the man responsible for bringing the UFC. Good job

5. LL Cool P says:

The new arena is responsible for the UFC being here.

6. JohnnyG says:

Ya I was just on the phone with Dana, he told me I’m in! SO excited to be on the card!!
    #blessed

7. Mmafan says:

Marcus Hicks?

8. Ridicilous says:

^^^^hahahahahahahaha….

9. EPerez says:

ARE YOU THE QUEEN OR NO?!

10. Snooze Crew says:

Piss in my mouth.

11. Jangle says:

They should grab Ryan Machan. Kid is 24-9 and on a 6 fight win streak. Sure one of those wins was against Hicks, but hey, he will take any fight! He has more experience than most other names who people are talking about, and has been quite consistent throughout his career. His last Los against Madrid was a joke of a split decision, and be tapped Cody quite easily. He’s got Riggs for his next match next month, and if he wins that, he should get his ticket punched for the big show.

12. Jangle says:

They should grab Ryan Machan. Kid is 24-9 and on a 6 fight win streak. Sure one of those wins was against Hicks, but hey, he will take any fight! He has more experience than most other names who people are talking about, and has been quite consistent throughout his career. His last loss against Madrid was a joke of a split decision, and be tapped Cody Mackenzie quite easily. He’s got Riggs for his next match next month, and if he wins that, he should get his ticket punched for the big show.

13. Cyberspace says:

Ryan Machan really does deserve to be in the UFC especially if he beats Riggs so does Arnett also. It would be really awesome if it happened however there is no forsure but IMO even if the UFC wasn’t coming to Edmonton both guys deserve to be in the UFC roster regardless.

14. LL Cool P says:

Machan could do well. He’s a vet who has fought lots of really solid, talented fighters, plus Marcus Hicks. I’d like to see him compete with an international opponent, not another Canadian though. He’s already beaten foreign fighters so I think that’d be better to see.

And I think the mma fans who have decided to like Arnett know that his fights are fan-friendly, he’s beaten talented guys
    and he deserves a platform with exposure because he’s not some cookie cutter personality, or zero personality like half of the fighters out there. UFC would be more fun with Jesse Arnett in there. Watching him punch the tits off Roland Delorme was one of the most fun fights I’ve watched live, really enjoyed it, nothing against Delorme. Just a really good performance.

15. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

If the UFC needed to rely on locals to sell tickets for one of their PPV’s (Which they don’t have to do in any other markets)

They’d have locked the fighters down before announcing the show. Not sure how people expect a flood of Alberta fighters to be signed.

I’d expect to see Mitch Clarke and Sheldon Westcott on the card though.

16. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

I can see a case for Arnett based on his record and opponent’s skill, but not because the UFC is going to Edmonton.

17. mmafan says:

Machan shouldnt be in the ufc everyone he fights is coming on off losses, the last time he beat a fighter that had at least a 2 fight win streak was Hullet in 2011.
    Mckenzie- was on a 4 fight losing streak and won 3 out of his last 12 fights, pretty obvious he just fights for a paycheck. Use to fight at 145 not a good win.
    Hicks- cmon it’s Hicks.
    Whitson- 1 and 3 in his last 4 before they fought.
    Tierney-lost his last 2, about a career .500 fighter and was 38 at the time.
    Sriyapai- lost his last 3, 1 and 4 last 5, and was 41 at the time.
    Gunn- This is probably one of his best wins 3 and 3 last 6 before they fought but I always liked Gunner he came to fight.
    Macarthur-8 and 25 career record and lost his last 5
    Chambers-2 and 9 his last 11.

Those are his wins of the last 5 years, If he wants in the ufc he should fight some top Canadian talent, Dwyer, Dwesberry, Hill, Jebb, rematch Macgrath

18. Cyberspace says:

Lol he’s fighting Joe Riggs a legit fighter, that could beat any of those guys that you listed. If ryan Machan beats Riggs there is a good shot he gets a call. And if not all he needs to do is get a few more wins on his record or fight one of those guys you listed and he will be undoubtedly be the top Canadian mma welterweight fighter outside of the UFC.

The only problem with Machan though he is not the most marketable guy, meaning that he is not a young up and comer like some other guys the UFC wants. Really Machan needs to win his next fight and beat one of those guys you listed to be Canada’s top welterweight outside of the UFC.

He also needs to up his activity if he wants a shot. UFC is around the corner if he wants it.

19. OilcityRyan says:

There is only 1 Edmonton fighter not already signed to the UFC that should be on this card but that guy is taking over the boxing world!! I’m sorry but I don’t wanna pay big dollars to see guys I could pay $50 to go watch at a Unified show.

20. Edmonton Fan says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 3 Thumb down 19

21. Ridicilous says:

^^^^hahahahaha

22. EPerez says:

Ask his grade 4 students. They seem to be calling the shots.

23. Stu Jeffries says:

If Tim can get some sort of winning streak going from now until then, then I would assume he would have some what of a chance on the undercard,

24. mmafan says:

He’s got no shot

25. mmadoesntloveyou says:

Tim Hague tried to join the class action lawsuit and was willing to settle for 500k. Doubt they will ever have interest in him.

26. Dennis James says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 5 Thumb down 19

27. Cyberspace says:

Ryan Machan will become the top welterweight in Canada and get the call!!!!!

28. Dennis James says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 6 Thumb down 19

29. Spike says:

racking up the wins LMAO

30. Stu Jeffries says:

Though I cannot see Tim going on a 3 fight win streak against serious contenders, I can see him getting the call to fill up the prelims.

31. Ridicilous says:

Holy F enough about Tim Hague….. he’s washed up… he blew his chancd in the big show… MOVE ON

32. Orangina says:

So anyways, pretty sweet that a PPV card is coming to Edmonton.

And possibly 2 or more title fights….

33. mmafan says:

If they were to sign a Canadian kid for this card it should be Hakeem Dawodu, he’s young, explosive, and charismatic. Give him one of they fight pass prelims again another striker for guaranteed fireworks!

34. J.Taylor says:

Tim hague vs either a Roy Nelson or even a Mark Hunt would be a fun fight on this card, I am sure Tim would up his training and his overall game for the big show, and it would not be as one sided as people might think.

35. LL Cool P says:

Yes it would. The guys Tim has been fighting are not in Roy Nelson or Mark Hunts class and they’ve still been knocking him out. If Tim had started consistently training BJJ and wrestling from the get-go over 10 years ago, he’d have those skills and probably would have fought a style better for longevity. But those days have come and gone, and so have his chances of winning fights at that level.

36. J.Taylor says:

Tim Hague vs Big Foot Silva probably makes more sense for Septembers UFC Edmonton card I see Tim winning by a close split decision.

37. mmafan says:

Bigfoot doesn’t fight in the UFC anymore, and Tim fighting in the UFC doesn’t make any sense at all.

38. Cyberspace says:

IMO Jesse Arnett should be on the card if any Canadian is. But if Machan wins against Riggs he should fight Miles Anstead and the winner should possibly get a shot at the UFC.

39. TimHague says:

1. I will fight anyone anywhere anytime

2. I do not, at this point, deserve to be on the card. And I sure as hell do not deserve to be talking about the card on the news.

3. I’m signed exclusively to ACB, not sure what their dealings with UFC are.

4. I know I’m going to get flamed for this, but whatever. Ask the guys I’m sparring with. Right now…I’m currently so far beyond my best ever that I am confident I would surprise a lot of people.

Roy Nelson would be an epic fight and I’m sure fans would be going absolutely nuts when I ko’ed him, because not many people can. I can. I’d be more interested in a rematch with 245 lb Duffee who is currently searching for a scrap. When I fought him, he was a bigger leaner 275.

Anyone doubting me, come check out the sparring at the private gym west end on Saturdays. There’s something special going on with all the local heavyweights. I’m extremely proud to be a part of bringing us all together. We are going to help one another go collect those 5, 6 figure paydays all over the world. Boser, Larson, Dragich, Hague, Anstead, Bhullar, Krahn, Carrol. All over 200 lbs, and 5 of us are over 250. That makes for some pretty incredible shark tanking before fights, which is exactly what all of us need.

I hope this post gets a couple people excited, especially that twirp Perez who seems to be obsessed with little kids

40. TimHague says:

Duffee Rematch might have a few people watching.

41. ken kupsch says:

I understand why some fans don’t want local fighters on the UFC card. It’s just a different point of view. But for me, if there are no Canadian fighters, I probably wouldn’t go.

42. Randy Roads says:

Ken, Its not that fans do not want local fighters on the card its that if their gonna spend good money they want to watch contenders not palooks with losing records, You might not mind spending a couple hundred dollars to watch a Oilers game but your not gonna spend the same amount to watch a University or your local community hockey game.

43. Randy Roads says:

That being said if you were to put a Jesse Arnet or a Jordan Mein on the card I do not think anybody would complain.

44. Joe Dirt says:

UFC has signed a hundred fighters who have done less than Arnett.

45. J.Taylor says:

Well tell us joe dirt maybe you would have a tim hague , a parvez or a valimaki on this Edmonton card.

46. ken kupsch says:

Yes, Arnett, Mein, Jebb, Boser or either of the Machans for a start. All these guys have worked hard and done well and there’s probably several more. Not saying they should use them all but I would love to see 2 or 3 of them on the card.

47. Randy Roads says:

I would rather spend my money supporting the local promoters, Jebb, Boser and the Machans I would spend my money seeing them on a kotc card, Arnett and mein are on a different level and ufc should be their next logical step.

48. OilcityRyan says:

First fight announced. Gavin Tucker be Rick Glenn. Nice to see Gavin get the call.