Canadian MMA Rumour Mill – February 7, 2017
MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani recently reported that UFC has 3 total events planned for Canada in 2017. It appears that UFC 216 is targeted for September 9 in Canada and although no venue has been specified we’ve heard extensive rumours that the Octagon would be making it’s way to Rogers Place in Edmonton, could that be the date?
Of course we already know about UFC Fight Night 104 in Halifax later this month so that leaves one more Canadian event for the 2017 schedule… Who’s gonna get it?
…and now on to the Rumours!
- Misha Cirkunov has been removed from the UFC rankings…. How can this be, he’s been on a tear going 4-0 in the UFC with 4 straight finishes. Traditionally, fighters are removed when they are cut or no longer under contract but it sounds like Cirkunov is still hoping to re-sign. What if Bellator throws a big number at him? Could we see him cross enemy lines and join the likes of Phil Davis and Ryan Bader in their ever growing LHW roster? Anthony Johnson recently singled out Cirkunov as one to watch in the UFC LHW division!
- Sarah Kaufman has signed a one fight deal with upstart South Korean promotion Battlefield, not to be confused with BFL in British Columbia. One of the opponents being considered is fellow WMMA pioneer Jan Finney.
- Hard Knocks 54 will see Jesse Arnett take on Nova Uniao prospect Alexandre Cirne in the main event. Also on the card, Peter Grajcar meets Vyron Phillips, Keegan Oliver meets Terrance Chan and Kurtis Higgins takes on Devon Smith.
- Marc-Andre Barriault will make his TKO debut at TKO38: Ascension against newly signed Yacine Bandoui and Dimitri Waardenburg is set to face David Sachs. Tony Laramie and Derek Falk meet in a clash of young Flyweight prospects.
- Also on TKO 38 will be Adam Dyczka, Davis dos Santos and Charles Huppretz all against opponents to be named.
- Rumble in the Cage 54 will go down in Lethbridge, Alberta on April 7. The event will host the Gold Medal matchups for the Canadian Amateur Team Tryouts which will be held April 5th and 6th.