Canadian MMA Rumour Mill – January 10, 2017
Well… the closest you can get to watching MMA in Manitoba these days is going to a Jets game. It seems that since Brock Lesnar has moved to Canada, he has become a hockey dad and a Jets fan.
Here is Lesnar at last night’s Jets game at the MTS Centre:
On to some rumours:
- Tim Hague is set to return to the cage against Mike Kyle at Absolute Championship Berkut 51 in Irvine, California on January 13. Both men are coming off losses inside the ACB cage in 2016.
- XFFC is back February 3 and here’s what we’re hearing for the card. Spencer Jebb will take on Adam Smith in the Main event. Also on the card will be a dynamite matchup between Austin Ryan and Brad Katona as well as Alex Martinez in his second pro bout against Mike O’Neill.
- Fight Night 3 is confirmed for Medicine Hat on April 8 and Fight Night 4 and 5 are in the works for Saskatoon in June and Calgary in September respectively.
- Hard Knocks 54 will take place March 17 and will feature Ryan Pang taking on Krzysztof Dobrzynski as well as the returns of Jesse Arnett and Alexi Argyriou.
- Also in the works for HK54 as a special St. Patty’s Day treat, Hard Knocks will welcome Pro & Amateur fighters from SBG Ireland (The home gym of Conor McGregor) to face a number of Canada’s promising MMA fighters. A sort of ‘Team Canada vs. Team Ireland’ theme for the night!
- Despite what I said before Christmas, Prestige Fighting Championship in Fort McMurray is not dead. They are looking at putting on a card in late March.
- Fight Xchange 2 premieres on Monday January 16th at 7:30pm on Superchannel. This season Canadian MMA fighters train in Asia and vice versa.
- Kyle Prepolec is taking on David Newport at Warrior Xtreme Cagefighting 66 on January 13th. His Maximum Training Centre teammate Josh Taveirne will also be on the card taking on Willis Black.
- Don’t forget that TKO 37 and its 19 fights are on UFC Fight Pass on Friday, January 13.
- Hey Rino Belcastro! With the Laramie’s fighting at TKO and your other MTC guys fighting in Michigan for WXC on the same night, where will you be?
- Global Warriors is looking at two potential dates for a spring card in Burlington, Ontario. Bet you that Ken Hayashi’s retirement has a lot to do with Garnet Ace’s returning interest in putting on another event!
- Mandel Nallo was supposed to fight for the VFC title in in Kansas right before Christmas. He had to pull out of that one with an injury.
- Speaking of Victory Fighting Championship, nothing official yet for a Manitoba show that I mentioned late last year.
- Did you know….. that Lee Mein is the new matchmaker for Hard Knocks?
- You can vote for some very deserving Canadians in the World MMA Awards. Vote for them all HERE.
- Fight Analyst Robin Black, creator of the Sapp Alvarez Scale, from Fight Network continues to gain followers for his thoughtful fight breakdowns and color commentary.
- Toronto journalist Karim Zidan of Bloody Elbow has done some fine investigative work in 2016.
- Top Canadian referee Yves Lavigne also makes the list.
- By the way, it would have been nice to see Mike Russell on the journalist for his pieces on Ali Abdel Aziz get some recognition in the journalist category.
- Hey! The UFC has a Canadian owner! Ontario’s Abel Makkonen Tesfaye, otherwise known as The Weekend, is one of 23 celebrity shareholders of the UFC. Check them all out HERE.
- Yoni Sherbatov will be back in the ring fighting MMA on February 9 at the Casino de Montreal.
- Micah Brakefield will be on Submission Underground 3 in Oregon against Lee Flores.
- Lastly, HERE is an interesting CBC piece on Canadian Olympic gold medalist Erica Wiebe. She is professional wrestling (real wrestling, not WWE) in India’s Pro Wrestling League.