Canadian MMA Rumour Mill – January 1, 2017
HAPPY NEW YEAR CANADA!!! I managed to get all my work done last night before I went out to ring in the New Year so I could start this year off right. My new years resolution is to keep bringing you all the hottest rumours throughout 2017!
- Ontario fighters and promoters rejoice! Ken Hayashi is out as Executive Director of the Ontario Athletics Commission and Ministry Policy Advisor Ray Dempster will take over in the interim until a suitable candidate is elected. Hopefully Hayashi’s successor is a little easier to work with and that translates to a big increase in the number of shows in Ontario in 2017.
- The Edmonton Journal has is reporting that it’s just a matter of time before the UFC announces their first show in Alberta’s capital city. Rumour is the event will go down late summer or early fall and is likely to be UFC 210, 211 or 212 and of course will take place at the brand new Rogers Place.
- With every new Canadian UFC event announced there’s speculation on who could be next to sign with the big show. With the Octagon returning to Alberta you’ve got to think Tanner Boser and Jesse Arnett would be at the top of the list… who else do you think could be on the UFC’s radar?
- KOTC Canada’s return to Cold Lake is coming together with the announcement that Elmer Waterhen will kick off the event with his retirement match against Dan Amyotte at Light-Heavyweight. Also on the card will be Behrang Yousefi returning from a two and a half year layoff to take on Tom O’Connor at Lightweight.
- Hard Knocks is back January 27 and will feature a Bantamweight bout between Noah Ali and Corey Gower. Also slated for the event will be undefeated Bantamweight prospects Justin Basra and Thomas Godin, Chris Boisvert taking on Vyron Phillips at Welterweight and the return of Kurtis Higgins who meets Devon Smith at Middleweight.
- Battlefield Fight League 47 will feature the pro debut of Jamie Smyth who takes on Caio Machado. Also on the card will be Curtis Harriot vs. Zavch Conn in a Welterweight bout and Nick Ghaeni vs. Christian Tremayne at Featherweight.
- June 9 is a long way away but Havoc FC 12 will go down then and is already coming together with names like Justin Basra, Patrick Ward and Tanner Willshaw… and do you remember the Robin Black vs. Adam Bodwell matchup that was supposed to go down years ago, well it may be happening on this card!
- Shane Campbell will return to the cage at Unified 30 on March 17 in a Lightweight bout. Also on the card Tanner Boser, Garret Nybakken and Nick Campbell will all defend their titles.
- Xcessive Force FC will be back February 3 and April 28 from Grande Prairie, Alberta.
- Congrats to Jesse Arnett who was recently promoted to brown belt by long time coach Anderson Goncalves. Congrats also go to Brad Stewart who got his purple belt from coach Shawn Albrecht.