Canadian Heavyweight Rankings – February 2016

Prince Rama is still firmly seated on his throne this rankings period.  But there are big changes in this division as fighters retired or became inactive and some new blood is pushing up at the bottom of this shallow division.

Here are the Top 5:

Official Canadian Heavyweight Rankings

1Smealinho Rama (9-2)
3 year stats: 4-2 – Opp combined record: 77-26 (75%) – Wins combined record: 50-21 (70%)
(W-Mehmen, Mocco, Hague, Hackert : L-Ivanov, Hamilton) – Previous Rank (1)

Rama vs Mocco (photo: Rob Trudeau)

Rama vs Mocco (photo: Rob Trudeau)

“The Prince” Smealinho Rama still reigns supreme as Canada’s Top Ranked Heavyweight! Despite losing his WSOF HW crown to Blagoy Ivanov at WSOF 21 in June of 2015 and not having a win in nearly 18 months, Smealinho Rama’s current three year body of work will keep him firmly seated on his throne for the foreseeable future.  Victories over the likes of Derrick Mehmen, Tim Hague, and Steve Mocco do that for you. Rama will stay on top unless he continues to remain inactive or one of the Heavyweights ranked below him go on a run similar to his 2012-14 run.  Next Fight: TBD

__________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________

2Kalib Starnes (17-10)
3 year stats: 5-2 – Opp combined record: 102-58 (64%) – Wins combined record: 55-42 (57%)
(W-Hague : L-Herman) – Previous Rank (3)
The rankings between #2 to #4 are very tight, but Kalib Starnes, the man of multiple weight classes, comes in at #2 ! Now, some may argue for Hague or Boser, but our pick is Kalib Starnes.  Half of Starnes’ six fights in the last three years have come at Heavyweight with the former UFC Middleweight fighter going 2-1 in the Big Boys division, including a win over Tim Hague! Kalib Starnes picked up the XFFC HW title this past October stopping Craig “War Dog” Hudson and sending him packing into retirement. Whom will he defend against next? A rematch with The Thrashing Machine! Next Fight: vs Tim Hague at XFFC 9 on April 15.

3. Tim Hague (20-11)
3 year stats: 6-4 – Opp combined record: 131-77 (63%) – Wins combined record: 51-42 (55%)
(W-Boser : L-Lopez, Erokhin, Rama, Starnes) – Previous Rank (4)
Coming in at #3 is the much maligned Tim Hague! This decade has been quite a rollercoaster ride for Tim “ The Thrashing Machine” Hague. After sitting on the throne as Canada’s top Heavyweight for arguably over five years, Hague is now at a crossroads in his career. Never has the former KOTC Canada and Unified MMA HW Champ (never lost his KOTC title) lost three in a row outside of the UFC.  He now faces that challenge coming off back to back losses when he takes on a Tanner Boser, who’s looking to redeem himself after being obliterated in six seconds in their much hyped first fight! Will the former long reigning King of the Heavyweights ever regain his title as Canada’s best? We will have to wait and see. Next Fights: vs Tanner Boser at Unified 26 on March 4, vs Kalib Starnes at XFFC 9 on April 15.

4. Tanner Boser (8-1)
3 year stats: 7-1 – Opp combined record: 55-41 (57%) – Wins combined record: 35-30 (54%)
(W-Valimaki : L-Hague) – Previous Rank (NR)

At #4, Tanner “Bulldozer” Boser! Gone is the mullet and it’s all business for Boser, who’s shown that maybe his shocking six second loss to Tim Hague nearly one year ago may have been just youthful exuberance gone recklessly wrong.  He’s picked up two dominant wins since that bout. One of those two wins was an absolute dismantling of former UFC fighter Victor Valimaki, in what has to be considered Tanner Boser’s signature win! Will Boser come out successful in his redemption bout versus Tim Hague and get a step closer to a big show shot or will Hague send him back to the drawing board again?  Next Fight: vs Tim Hague at Unified 26 on March 4

5. Arjan Bhullar (3-0)
3 year stats: 3-0 – Opp combined record: 4-4 (50%) – Wins combined record: 4-4 (50%)
Previous Rank (NR)
Arjan Bhullar, the Battlefield Fight League Heavyweight champ, rounds out the Top 5. This large man is the biggest unknown as we have yet to see the evolution of the Commonwealth Games Wrestling Gold Medalist into a true Mixed Martial Artist! How complete this transition will be is still up in the air, but boy would a successful metamorphosis from Canada’s top Heavyweight wrestler to top Heavyweight mixed martial artist create a dangerous man!  Next Fight: vs Tom Aspinall at Hard Knocks 49 on April 22

Outside the Top 5:

6: Mike Kent (11-6)
7: Adam Dyczka (2-0)
8: Nick Campbell (7-7)
9: Blake Nash (3-2)
10: Dan Amyotte (3-2)

Fighters who dropped out of the Top 5/Inactive/Retired:  Mike Hackert (was 2nd), Craig Hudson (was 5th), Paul Cheng, Jordan Tracey

Related Posts:

22 Responses to “ Canadian Heavyweight Rankings – February 2016 ”

1. mmafan says:

Hudson vs Kent
    I hear both are coming out of retirement and Kent said he’d fight HW

2. Ryan D says:

Hudson is coming out already?

3. Zuma Cheerleader says:

Get ready to add Dustin Joynson to that list.

4. mmafan says:

Yeah
    Apparently his broken forearm from the Starnes fight is healed up.
    He’s been back in the gym and is looking for boxing or mma fights!

5. Cody Saftic says:

In that case sign me up for some Wardog verus Lee Mein!

6. @Zuma Cheerleader..Joynson looked good at Prestige. We need to see more of him!

7. zumacoach says:

Thanks Keith, Joynson is booked for a BFL fight shortly. He is hoping to have a very active year.

8. Wardog says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 8 Thumb down 18

9. Wardog says:

Unless Lee Mein wants to stand and bang,I might come out of retirement. if not see you in the boxing ring where I belong.

10. Mike k says:

War dog I’ll stand and grapple with you. No punching to the face or body though

11. Zach b says:

This is MMA lol if you can’t adapt after how many years of fighting in the sport , maybe you should stick to boxing .
    I like watching you fight and wish you all the best !

12. Wardog says:

That’s the plan.

13. Nash75 says:

My boy Wardog, I heard former UFC fighter Mike Cieznoleics is coming back to MMA and might have called you out previously. After a nearly 5 year layoff and looking to fight in Canada since he has ties here. Perfect time to get a win for you. He is a decent grappler but I think his takedown skills are lacking and he has been out with injuries forever.

14. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

I’m a WarDog fan, but honestly Mike Ciesnolevicz would win by KO early in the 1st. He’s got top level striking to go with his overall game. I think he could challenge for Canada’s #1 spot if not be #1 in Canada.

15. Nash75 says:

BKB, so how you figure when Mike hasnt done fuck all in years? Wardog took Hague to the limit and had him beat until getting caught with a lucky shot. Wardog is too big, too strong for a guy like Mike C who used to be a light heavyweight also. Wardog runs over him early in the fight. He could not take Wardog down and would be forced to trade punches which means get the man a pillow he is going to sleep!

16. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

It’s not like Mike wasn’t training. He is a bjj black belt, mfs black belt and a karate black belt. Has a ufc win at hw. He’s a good fighter. Beat Neil Grove quickly in UFC and Grove was a giant of a man. Again not taking anything away from WarDog as I’m a fan but this is not a good fight for him.

17. Wardog says:

Haven’t heard of Mike before Nash or him calling me out,not looking for a easy fight either,never had easy fights,my opponent list is very high quality fighters,Starchankov,Blake Nash,Tim Hague,Ryan Fortin,Smelinho Rama,Kalib Starns,you get the point and a lot of them on last notice to help out promotion when people got hurt or didn’t want to fight at the last minute they would call me because they knew I would come which I’m not complaining because it gave me great opportunity and opened doors,anyway I don’t see a MMA fight for me in the future unless against the right opponent and the right reasons if someone was going to challenge me in a exciting stand and bang it out slugfest well you never know Lol.

18. Henderson says:

I was offered Wardog before Starnes. I said yes before they finished the sentence. I have a thing for taking mismatched fights haha. I was pumped to the fullest. I was all heart and bombs. But injured myself. Now I actually train with boxing, jitz, strength and conditioning coaches….showing respect to this great sport. Hoping to bust into the top ten in the future. Im sure Wardog will be back…goodluck pal and good luck to the Canadian Heavy Weights

19. Wardog says:

Thanks Henderson.good luck on your career.

20. OhCanada says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 3 Thumb down 18

21. Nash75 says:

I cant believe some of you guys gave the thumbs up for Mike Ciez to beat Wardog. Wardog go blast that chump! I think Lee Mein and Boser both beats Mike C at this point also. Guy has been out of the game too long. Looking forward to seeing him fight in Canada so I can say I told you so!

22. Hollah says:

Is that you mike c (nash75)