KOTC Makes Winnipeg Debut With Doerksen, Lopez, Black, Milko, Phillips

Joe Doerksen (photo: Jim Beattie)

Joe Doerksen (photo: Jim Beattie)

King of the Cage Canada will be in Winnipeg, Manitoba on September 19 at the Winnipeg Convention Centre. The promotion, which has held shows from coast to coast in Canada, will be making their Winnipeg debut.

Joe Doerksen vs Tony Lopez

The KOTC Canada: Madness card will be headlined by Manitoba’s own Joe Doerksen (50-16), a veteran of 66 MMA fights including nine fights in the UFC octagon.  Although ‘El Dirte’ has decreased the frequency of fights in recent years, he remains one of Canada’s top ranked Middleweights.  Doerksen will be coming into this Light-Heavyweight fight on a three fight winning streak with wins over Kalib Starnes, Joel Powell, and Mike Kent in the past three years.

The other half of the KOTC main event is California’s Tony Lopez (34-15).  Lopez is 1-2 in 2013 with the win coming over Canada’s Tim Chemelli at KOTC: Mach 1 on June 6th.  Most recently, Lopez lost to Chase Gormley on August 10th due to an injury suffered in the third round.

Semi-Main Event

Jarod Milko (photo: Rob Trudeau)

Jarod Milko (photo: Rob Trudeau)

In the semi-main event, Winnipeg Academy of Mixed Martial Arts’ Jarod Milko (8-3) will take on CFC Gym’s Vyron Phillips (3-0) in a cross-town matchup.  Milko is coming into the fight with a recent XFFC title fight loss to the red hot Matt MacGrath.  Aside from that setback, Milko has won three of his last four fights including a TKO victory in Winnipeg over Chris Stranger last fall.

Milko will be the best fighter that Vyron Phillips has faced so far in his career.  Phillips has looked dominant in the cage so far and has kept his record clean over three pro fights.   In his last fight, Phillips stopped Aaron Berke in the second round at CFC 8 last September.

In other action, renaissance man Robin Black will attempt to improve his record to .500 against Adam Bodwell. Not only a fighter, Black is a well-known fight analyst on the Fight Network.  In a previous life, Winnipeg fans may also remember Black from his days as the front man for the Ballroom Zombies.   Now in his forties, Black is nearing the end of his fighting career and is looking to finish on a two fight winning streak.  Black defeated Derek Charbonneau in 2012 in his last time in the cage.

Other fighters scheduled to appear on the September 19th card include David Quangvan, Andrija Pavlic, Lee Gaudet, Kyle Oliveira, and Steve Roy. Click HERE to see the entire card.

24 Responses to “ KOTC Makes Winnipeg Debut With Doerksen, Lopez, Black, Milko, Phillips ”

1. Derek Pearson says:

I’m definitely going to make the trip in just to support Andrija Pavlic now that i see he is on this card!

2. Andrija Pavlic says:

Thanks Derek! It has been three years since my last fight, and I look forward to competing again!

It should be a great night, best of luck to all the competitors.

3. Quinnfan says:

Joe doerkson and robin black? They couldn’t do any better than these two? Terrible decision making on the match makers part. Sean Quinn should easily be headlining this card. Quinn would wreck both of these cans with one arm tied behind his back.

4. bjj fan says:

Quinn fan are you on Crack? Lay off the pipe!

5. If I had Quinn on this card he’d be the headliner and I woudknt even need any other fights

6. Unfortunately I couldn’t find anybody more relevant for Winnipeg than Joe Doerksen.

7. machine says:

be nice to see Bongfeldt on this card!

8. the goods says:

is he still competing?

9. Bear Rugg says:

I don’t have a problem with the card, but the ticket prices are a bit much. $150 for a first row table seat. Not sure the card warrants that kind of price. This is mainly local fighters, and dudes that are past their prime.

10. The goods says:

150 for a first row seat is a steal in my opinion, there are some gems on this card

11. Bear Rugg says:

I’m thinking it’s $30-$50 over priced. Not saying it’s the promotions fault. Winnipeg has maybe one event a year. If we could bump that number up, then I’m sure ticket prices would come down.

12. The goods says:

Ya probably would, but as a province we need to support these shows so other promotions will come and give local 204 a chance to showcase at home, lots of talent in the province

13. Graham Weenk says:

to see Joe Doerkson, Jared Milko with fights, thats not a bad price for tickets…those are some solid fighters worth the price of admission

14. I’ve had 7 guys fight on my cards and work their way into the UFC.

You might not recognize all the names before the show, but you will after!

15. CM says:

^^^ agreed. Brad Katona is one of those names. Looking forward to seeing his pro debut.

16. Bear Rugg says:

True that “the goods”. I will support any show that comes to the peg, just not willing to pay top dollar for fighters I just saw last Sept.

17. Bear Rugg, msg me and maybe we can work out a deal.

I want everybody to leave happy, and feeling that they got their money’s worth.

madprivate@gmail.com

18. Michelangelo says:

$40-50 is usually the average for mat events I’ve seen in Ontario and Quebec.
    It’s true most have never heard of many of these fighters but one of the first events I saw was GSP’s second pro fight and Rich Franklin. Who knew both would later become UFC champions, plus the 7 others fighters who also fought later in the UFC, some currently. You never know…

19. Jeremy says:

Robin black vs Gerry Dee

20. Bear Rugg says:

^^^ How awesome is that. I never really thought of it that way.

21. Louis Fisette says:

Brad Katona and Kyle Oliveira… Just let that sink in. Remember those names… 2 of the best small guys out of wamma

22. james stevenson says:

I believe Robin Black vs Gerry Dee was a spoof on the score several years ago.

Hate to say it but that may be the only way robin gets back up to .500

23. RickRoll says:

Hey Doerksen, you should eat some pizza and go up to hwt and smash Tim Hague. That would be a nice feather in your cap also!

24. Bear Rugg says:

Having a closer look at these match-ups, and this is actually a stellar card. I was wrong by calling these fighters locals, and past their prime. I should have done my homework before flapping my lips. Sorry guys