TUF Nations: Episode 11 Recap – Theodorou vs Manawaroa

TUF Nations 2Last episode, fans saw Chad Laprise move into the finals after KOing Kajan Johnson. It left Canadians feeling bittersweet over the fight. This week, TUF Nations is back to the Canada vs Australia format at Elias Theodorou takes on Tyler Manawaroa in the second semi-final matchup.

The episode starts with the Canadians in the car and the team reflecting on Kajan Johnson’s injuries. They feel bad for Johnson. Chad Laprise also mentions that he heard some of the Australians cheering for Johnson. The team tells Laprise that the Australians felt bad because Fabio Holanda was not yelling and only said the time.

Next, we see the Australians driving back to the house. They are saying that Holanda was the worst cornerman. They said that Holanda said beforehand that he was not going to say anything. Vik Grujic says that Holanda said that everytime he showed Johnson a technique, Johnson would say ‘I know that’ everytime. Holanda said “let him do his thing”. Grujic tells the camera that “it would have sucked being in (Kajan’s) situation” and he would have helped corner. Most of the Australians did not like the situation Kajan was in.

Chad Laprise says he had sparred “probably 100 times” with Kajan at Tristar. He tells the camera it was the biggest win of his life with a huge knockout, but he feels terrible.

Both teams were waiting in the house for Johnson to return. They great him warmly. Johnson says it is broken in three places and will be getting surgery soon.

Zein Saliba said you could hear his jaw break during the fight. Johnson is very swollen. Laprise feels bad and Johnson is trying to keep it light and tells Laprise that it is OK.

Tyler Manawaroa tells the camera that he started training at 15. He does not game plan, he just goes into the cage and does whatever he wants. Saliba says he throws fights from weird angles and is very unorthodox. Kyle Noke says Manawaroa is better everywhere and will win the fight easy.

Coach Adrian Pang says that Manawaroa has the talent to win the show. For his troubles, Tyler bags him with a kick.

Next we see Elias Theodorou talking with Sheldon Westcott, who is telling Elias that if he keeps doing what he is doing he will win.

Tater tots and fries are the pre-fight meal for Manawaroa.

Richard Walsh knows Theodorou’s game plan will be to grapple and grind out the win with Tyler.

After getting his Bachelor of Arts, Theodorou has dedicated himself to fighting. He says that Manawaroa will not handle his pace.

Patrick Cote brings former UFC champion Murilo Bustamante to the training camp. Cote is Theodorou’s sparring partner and Bustamante coaches.

Theodorou says he does not have a stop button. “I am going to do what I want when I want…The smarter fighter usually wins….(Manawaroa) is going to be throwing things for the sake of it. Mine are all calculated.”

Weigh-Ins: Tyler Manawaroa (186) vs Elias Theodorou (185)

At the face off, Elias “The Spartan” Theodorou puts on the Spartan helmet and yells “This is Sparta.” Vik “The Spartan” Grujic says he has the nickname due to his beard, his appearance make him look Leonidas from 300. He says Theodorou looks like the parody movie “Meet the Spartans.” (good line)

Kyle Noke says that if Theodorou has seen the movie 300, he should realize that Leonidas dies.

“What makes Tyler so dangerous is that he doesn’t give a fuck,” says Theodorou. Manawaroa says Theodorou does not like to be hit. “I am going to finish him in the first round.”

Tyler Manawaroa vs Elias Theodorou
R1. Kick by Theodorou. They clinch up and Manawaroa and Theodorou push each other against the fence reversing each other. Small knees by Theodorou and he pulls Manawaroa down. Back up quick though and Tyler’s back is against the cage again. Small punches by each and a couple of knees each. Ref Lavigne warns Theodorou about low knees. Theodorou picks up Manawaroa and drops him to the mat. Tyler gets back up. Knee by Elias and an elbow by Manawaroa. Theodorou picks him up again and drops him to the mat. Manawaroa gets to his feet quickly again. Two minutes left. They exchange knees while tied up in the middle of octagon. Manawaroa gets Theodorou down and takes Elias’ back. Theodorou gets to his feet and drops Manawaroa. Theodorou gets to his feet and ties up Manawaroa again. One minute left. Theodorou shoots a single, then a double and drags him down. Back right up. One more takedown by Theodorou as the round ends. No damage but Theodorou wins the round.
Top MMA News scores the round 10-9 Theodorou

R2. Manawaroa lands a leg kick. He’s keeping his distance now. Leg kick by Theodorou. Jab by Manawaroa but Theodorou gets his hands on him and pushes him up against the cage. While standing, Theodorou has his back. Theodorou gets a double and takes Manawaroa down. He can’t keep him down though. Two small shots by Theodorou. They break. Knee by Manawaroa lands hard. Jab by Manawaroa. A knee by Manawaroa lands as Theodorou locks him up and pushes him against the cage again. Manawaroa takes Theodorou down, but right back up. Theodorou picks up Manawaroa again and drops him. He is in Manawaroa’s guard. This is the first time he kept Tyler down. Some punches to the side by Elias and some punches off his back by Tyler. Round ends.
Top MMA News scores the round 10-9 Theodorou

R3. Leg kick by Theodorou. Again. Again. Theodorou ties him up again. Body shots by Manawaroa. Theodorou gets him to the mat. Body shots by Theodorou while on top. Mixing it up with some headshots. Nice right from the top. Round half over and Theodorou is still in the full guard of Manawaroa. Manawaroa shrimps out and gets to his knees and then to his feet. Theodorou pushing him back against the cage. No space given to Manawaroa. Nice elbow by Manawaroa. One minute left. Theodorou puts him back on the mat. Theodorou in his full guard. Theodorou passes to side. He lands some punches near the end.
Top MMA News scores the round 10-9 Theodorou
Elias Theodorou defeats Tyler Manawaroa by Decision

Noke said that Theodorou just grapple humped him the first round. He said Manawaroa just did whatever Theodorou was doing.
Cote says its very hard to fight Elias as he does not stop.
Noke says it was a boring fight.

Elias says he kept to his game plan. He was the better wrestler and kept to the wrestling. Sheldon Westcott says he will pose more problems for Theodorou.

Dan Kelly says that Manawaroa “learned a lot from that fight.” Noke says he just wasn’t there today.

Manawaroa said he “didn’t click into the zone.” “I didn’t do what I could have done.”

Next episode: The boys don plaid and have a Lumberjack coaches challenge.

48 Responses to “ TUF Nations: Episode 11 Recap – Theodorou vs Manawaroa ”

1. AMLECF says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 11 Thumb down 24

He broke him before the end of the first.

I wouldn’t expect you to understand without experiencing it.

3. terry robertson says:

Ouch, Blaber wins. Robin proves what most have thought for a while.

Analyst? Commentator? You would never have seen a guy like Ernie Harwell react to a fight fans or sports fans opinion with such a egotistical holier than thou tirade.

Mr. Industry Black must know who Ernie Harwell is right?

Yes I know, I am a can too. An overweight, balding can who was never any good at mma. I don’t pretend to be different so I will save you guys the trouble of telling me how shitty I am hahaha.

Yay Terry showed up from doing nothing to use hate to reinforce the importance of his (who knows why?) enemy!

This guy is the dork who just keeps on giving!

5. terry robertson says:

awww, I hate no one. I asked you some questions I thought were pretty relevent and you answered although never really answered but I thought your answer was pretty cool.

Than I read a post where you slam a group of people for not putting enough work into the sport in your eyes for you to consider them legitimate and thats fine. So I asked you where the line was between them and a guy like bodwell or kalmakoff or even a robertson, and why are you more tolerant of one and not the other when it seems to advance your own needs.

You didn’t like that and accused me of being a hate monger haha among other things.

Im cool with it.

If you’re tolerant of Robertson you must be tolerant of Bodwell and you must be tolerant of Black.

I happily tolerate you.

We good now or what?

7. terry robertson says:

I was never not good with anything. The attacks on my fighting ability don’t bother me.

I wasn’t very good, I knew with my injuries and my age I would never have time to be very good. I would never want to call myself a professional or step in the cage pretending to be professional if I couldn’t dedicate what true professionals do. I stopped.

But I still think you are very critical at times of others but are willing to turn a blind eye to what you have been critical of when it suits you.

I’m equally as mediocre a fighter as you.

And I contribute slightly more than you while being critical slightly less about people in the business.

So NOW we’re good?

9. Mma guy says:

Zach your a 1st year electrician, barley even an electrician straiten out

10. Pat Wilson says:

Well that was entertaining good morning read, I’m not going to get in that.

Only thing i will say is On paper beating a guy that is say 9-2 looks better then beating a guy who is 0-3, but it does not always mean it was a tougher fight.

11. Mike kent says:

I like this new robin

I really don’t know exactly what it is.

But I woke up after 6 1/2 hours of sleep and I’m still pissed off at this guy.

Maybe if enough crap picks away at you over months you just kind of snap at the last new crap dealer.

I dunno man.

13. Puck says:

Intense. Robin, I assume you train with Elias? I’m just glad our Canadian dude won and it sounds like he worked him over. All Canada final is cool with me. Hey but I listened to your advise…do the same, smoke one and relax man….lol

14. Glenny says:

If you follow Robin on twitter and facebook and stuff you notice that he gets hate 24/7. He deals with it really well and then about once or twice a year the guy just spazzes out. Its usually fun to watch.
    Yeah man Robin my advice would be to smoke one too dude and get back to letting it roll off the back. But gotta say I enjoy your bi-yearly meltdowns lol.

15. Wow, that escalated quickly!

I respect everybody involved with this thread, have fun fighting boys!

No relevence, but I’m also an ex shitty fighter.

16. Harry Dunne says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 9 Thumb down 20

17. Harry Dunne (Darth Maul) says:

Robin if your such a “MMA Expert” why are you working for in a crappy gig like the fight network. After reading your comments on this thread, you would think with your expertise in MMA that Dana and Lorenzo would have hired you to work for the UFC.

Actually, the NFL and NBA should also realize how talented you are. And the NHL. Transferable skills Robin. Your such a GOD you should be able to quickly pick up on hockey, football and basketball and be a commentator or analyst for the NFL, NBA and NHL.

I guess we should take baby steps. Since you are such a media Guru, i’m sure Rogers, Bell, Telus ect are beating down your door with CEO, CFO positions ect ect.

Get over yourself.

You sucked in the crappy Star Wars sequel too.

19. Harry Dunne (Darth Maul) says:

Dont worry Robin. Your right up there with Don Cherry in terms of sports commentating.

I’m guessing the Fight Network pays you close to a million dollars a year like Don Cherry gets.

They should have hired you instead of George Stroumboulopoulos to do Hockey Night in Canada.

You are the best media personality in Canada.

I remember watching you on the MTV VJ Search LOL.

One of the contestants on that show told me some really funny things about you. Not going to get into them because I will get banned.

20. Harry Dunne (Darth Maul) says:

And by the way Robin. Darth Maul kicks ass. Obi Wan and Qi Gon Jin didnt have the balls to fight me one on one. I fought 2 Jedi Knights and I killed one of them. Can you say you have done better?

Thank you that’s nice to read.

Yeah I’m kind of a big deal from my own perspective.

I’m sure I’m the only one who sometimes thinks quite highly of himself. I’m sure you’re more well grounded.

Yeah ok fair enough you were cool in the movie.

That was outta line. Sorry.

23. Gunner says:

It may not have been the most exciting fight to watch but it was the fight that would guarantee Elias get the win and move closer to the big show.

Tyler seems to be a tough dude and it would have been silly to jeopardize all the work to get on the show and chance to advance further in the show by trying to make it entertaining.

Had this not been in a sense a single elimination tournament and just another fight on a local show I may see it a bit different but in this situation Elias played his cards perfectly to get the for sure win.

I will agree on one thing though robin is small enough to swing from elias’s balls though :)

I heart Gunn.

25. Robin makes a living watching, calling, analyzing MMA. That is amazing. I’m jealous. He does a very good job at it too.

Elias makes his living with great wrestling and great conditioning. He does a very good job at it too, however I am curious to see how he does against another athletic wrestler. I have no idea what level his striking is at or how he does off his back. Hopefully, he is very good at those skills and he is keeping them in his back pocket to surprise a future opponent.

@ Keith.

I see that you just posted a nice thing about a friend to cheer him up when you can see that he’s having a grumpy negative day.

He appreciates it a lot man.

27. Donald Duck says:

Man – Robin do you need a hug?!?

The guy has done more than 90% of the people who claim to be legit in MMA and on top of that has been a relatively successful musician.

I think Robin gets hated on because people don’t know how hard he’s worked to be where he is. They assumption is this whole thing just fell into his lap.

Sure when he’s excited his voice sounds like two squirrels fighting over a peanut in a gunny sack and sure he looks like a second rate KD Lange drag queen but the way you guys rag on him I suspect more that he railed your mom or older sister and then pooped in her boots before leaving.

PS – Hate Gunn all you want though – that guy needs more hate.

28. @Harry Dunne, though I and others will agree that westcott is a skilled grappler, if he has any serious inclination and ambition to hang with the big boys and further his mma career he has to take a page outa the Real Deal Ryan Ford mannuel and head outa Dodge towards the greener pastures of a legit mma gym, preferably one south of the border, with world class mma coaches and sparring partners, training in a little garage gym sparring and rolling with your best buddy Can Yallits is just not gonna cut it , sorry to burst your bubble but reality sucks. One has only to look at the great strides and progress Ford has made through his ventures to Tristar, they literaly transformed a beast into a legit Monster!!

29. Bdc says:

Robin your great at your job and you have the passion of mma running through your veins. Keep up the good work bro.

30. And if there ever is a beacon or a bastion of a individual who has maintained his integrity and his uncompromising vision and purity towards the further advancement of mma his name would have to be the one and only Robin Black!! Keep doing what your doing let naysayers be naysayers!!

31. Kellen Falt says:

BigPoopa, the fact that you hang from Dotys nuts and then say Westcott or anyone from CFMA isnt a legitimate training partner or fighter just delegitimizes everything you say. Complete has Clarke, Westcott, Drummond, MacInnes, and not to mention some pretty legitimate regulars that train all over such as Ford and Campbell. Omic and Machan have been making stops there as of late as well. Arguably one of the most stacked stables in Alberta minus a few guys that train at Hayabusa maybe. I agree, I think it would be good for Westcott to go check out some other gyms, maybe for his next fight camp but if it aint broke, dont fix it

32. Cam Yallits says:

Thanks for the advice BigPoppa but I think we’re doing pretty well without your advice!

33. Cam Yallits says:

Im in a training room right now with Corey Gower, Nick Penner, Cody Krahn, Shane Campbell, Jared McComb, Sheldon, Vic Valimaki, Andrew McInnes and Andrew Bard. And its a SLOW day. Who do you train with?

34. Cam Yallits says:

Uh Oh, the 69 bros are out in full force.

35. AMLECF says:

I’ve been to his gym, it’s a diamond in the rough filled with great talent. I think that gym is gonna grow a lot and put forward a lot of great fighters

36. Cody Krahn says:

Bigpoppa’s right. We suck, like really bad.

37. I train in my buddys basement gym out in the west end, but then Im a fat fu#k who doesnt pretend to be a fighter and does it recreationlly, but if I did I would head off to Tristar, or if I had no other option I would train my jits with Rodrigo in Stoney Plain, rassling with Roger at Busa, and striking with the k- Master at Frank Lees.

38. Cam Yallits says:

Good call, they’re all great coaches.

39. snyper mcgrath says:

Complete is a fantastic gym full of fighters who leave whatever ego they may at the door and help out each other.

Not only is the training top notch but the gym atmosphere is fun and relaxed and there is always laughs to be had before and after the hard training.

The gym to be in in Edmonton

Me and Krahn are mortal enemies forever and ever and ever cuz we have no self control and are too similar for our own good. :)

But I like McInnis he’s one of my faves and that Yallits is like a brother to me after he saved my dog from a burning inferno and I repaid him by impregnating his sister on his request.

He’s known simply as Uncle Cam to Little Elvis, our son.

Elvis just got his yellow belt in Jeet Kung Jitsu. Uncle Cam was so proud.

42. Cam Yallits says:

Haha I like it when you go off your meds Robin, you’ve been gold on this site for the past few days. I’m pretty sure your offspring is going to spew forth with more MMA knowledge than BigPoppa.

He’s known simply as Uncle Cam to Little Elvis, our son.

Elvis just got his yellow belt in Jeet Kung Jitsu. Uncle Cam was so proud.

44. Cody Krahn says:

Who donated the sperm?

Your mom had a bunch left over.

46. Cody Krahn says:

Oh good. My mom is into drag queens now.

Not bad man. Not great, but not bad. :)

48. Sorry to bearer of bad news Robin but little Elvis is gonna look like a cross between Shrek and Adam Bodwell.