Canadian Rumour Mill – March 11, 2014
Sorry for the late delay on the Rumour Mill. I forgot to spring forward and didn’t change my clock so I was an hour late in submitting my article. Editor Grienke is a hardass and is trying to teach me a lesson in punctuality by delaying the publishing of this a day. I argued that he is only hurting my fans, but he won’t listen. He says “If PFC can complete nine fights in an excellent event by 11pm, you can finish a 1000 words by 11pm!” Sorry about that!
On to the rumours!
- FIGHT4PRIDE Championship 1 will hold its inaugural event on Friday, May 30th in Laval, Quebec. The show will be a pro event and will be at the Guimond Sports Complex (or Complex Sportif Guimond as our francophone friends call it). A couple of confirmed bouts are Francis Charbonneau (2-0) vs Richard Arsenault (9-3) at 170lbs and Dave Depathie (0-3) vs Edrise Matiullah (0-0).
- Also hearing of bunch of other names on the FIGHT4PRIDE debut card, with just a few of the names being Yoni Sherbatov (125lbs), Dimitri Waardenburg (135lbs) (he may be fighting Souk Khampasath), Christ Franck (170lbs), Loyd Galindo (170lbs), and Strahinja Gavrilovic (185lbs). Post here if you’re looking to scrap and I’m sure the right people may get in touch with you.
- World Series of Fighting Canada will not be heading to Hamilton. The commission will not work on the April long weekend so WSOF is now looking to hold this card elsewhere. Looks like the event will now be held in Winnipeg and the date will slip into May.
- Want a Canadian fighter to headline MFC 40. Tweet @maximumfighting with the #TheMFC #MFC40 #lightweight and #PunchTheVote to vote for Kurt Southern!
- Bibiano Fernandes will headline One FC 15 on May 2 against Masakatsu Ueda.
- Jordan Knippelberg is out of the HAVOC FC title fight with Ryan Machan at HFC 5! I’m hearing that Knippelberg couldn’t get off work, UMM isn’t that something you should look into prior to agreeing to fight as well as having HAVOC promo and print posters with you on it?!?!?!?!?!?
- Substance Cage Combat 2 is scheduled to be held in the “Centre of the Universe” Toronto on May 23rd at the Legendary old Maple Leaf Gardens. Robin “F” Black is set to have his retirement match on this show against Adam Bodwell!
- Prestige Fight Club is suing SMAA and the Saskatchewan government!
- Smealinho Rama will take on former KOTC World LHW and HW champ Tony Lopez at Battle for the Border 3 in Cranbrook, BC on April 12th!
- Also for Battle for the Border, Charmaine Tweet is in need of an opponent at 150-155lbs!
- Nick Hinchliffe is looking to make a comeback, this time in his fourth different weight class… Nick and his management are currently looking for opponents at Heavyweight!
- LAMMQ will hold its 2nd show in June.
- Prestige FC 5 will be held on May 16 at the Casman Centre in Ft. McMurray, Alberta. Look for Dwayne Lewis to finally get the opportunity to detonate a D-Bomb in front of his hometown fans!
- Jay Alexander will make his boxing debut on May 3 at the Hershey Centre in Mississauga. MMA will be his focus once again following the fight.
- Stephane Pelletier stated that he became incredibly ill while cutting weight for his bout with Eric Wilson and suffered from a tachycardia attack (heart rate above normal rate) as well as fainted. His team called a nurse who “strongly advised me not to pursue (the weight cut) and indicated my health was at risk.” So I ask, did the commission know about this and if he was in such bad shape why/how was he allowed to compete?!?!?
- Jesse Gross and Woodrow James will be on a June 14th Sarnia show featuring a bunch of local MMA fighters. Also Joel Paquette vs Tiago Tavares will compete.
- Look for Hybrid Combat to have an ammy show in May.
- Lloydminster is having a Tough Man competition on March 13. Now I am not sure if Lloydminster is in Saskatchewan or Alberta, but maybe both commissions can work with the police to shut this down. Hearing kids as young as 13 years old may be competing as well as no blood work! Proving Grounds is the event and Garret Tepper runs the event with Paul Grandbois assisting him as well as “refereeing” this event.
- Provincial FC is holding a charity MMA event in London, Ontario in the fall!
- Rachel Swatez (4-4) came up short in her bout with Elizabeth Phillips (3-1) at Conquest of the Cage at the Northern Quest Casino in Washington, USA on February 28th, losing via TKO (Punches) in the 3rd round.
- Well now that Victor Valimaki’s MFC 40 opponent is fighting Ryan Jimmo in the UFC, The Matrix is looking for a new opponent to take on. Kalib Starnes is willing to step up and fight and has asked Valimaki and the MFC to set it up!
- Congrats to Sean Pierson on receiving his BJJ Black Belt. Sam Zakula and Justin Bruckmann were in attendance!
- Contragratulations to Richard Arsenault on his win against Aaron Crawley by TKO in the 5th round in a Pro Boxing bout in Halifax, Nova Scotia!
- MMA ref Brian Beauchamp is ranked as the #1 BJJ fighter in the world in the category of Masters Medium Heavyweight at Black belt! Great job Brian!
- Lastly, I see the CNMMAF is holding provincial tryouts this month to crown provincial amateur MMA champions. No punches will be thrown at any of these tryouts as they are are going to use the same tryout method that the UFC uses to pick fighters for TUF. Cody Rempel and I are going to tryout in Edmonton. With any luck, no one else will show up and we will be crowned Mr and Mrs Alberta Amateur Heavyweight champions. Then, be selected via the independent accounting firm of Williams, Williams, & Diefenbaker as the Canadian champs, head to Las Vegas for the internationals and live happily ever after!
- On the more serious side, CNMMAF parted ways with Alex Gasson. It turns out that Alex is well spoken, knowledgeable and passionate about MMA, and has a thoughtful plan for amateur MMA in a country where it is only legal in a handful of places, so he was not a very good fit for the current “national organization”.
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE2: Ladies, if you wish to have your picture posted as the gossip queen, send your photos to me as well. Email: email@example.com.