Canadian MMA Rumour Mill – February 24, 2014
I love this time of year as MMA is really heating up in Canada. WSOF Canada had a great show, Ontario and Quebec have events coming up, and TUF Nations is nearing the semi-final round in two more episodes with Canada looking solid. It is good to be a Canadian fight fan!
- ECC 20 will be held on April 5th at the Halifax Forum. One of the fights that is confirmed is between two of the better prospects on the east coast with Morgan Rhynes (3-0) taking on Michael Spoenlein (2-0)!
- I’m hearing that Mark Drummond (5-2) versus Rocky Biggs (5-0) has been moved off the Unified MMA 18 card in March and moved to Unified MMA 19 in May.
- Big chance that Brandt Dewsbery (11-3) will battle it out with Chase “Red Dawg” Maxwell (9-3) for the Unified MMA Welterweight strap on that same May show.
- Unified MMA 20 will be held on July 4th in Edmonton, AB!
- Charmaine Tweet (4-4) might fight Veronica Rothenhausler (1-0) of Team Alpha Male at 155lbs at Invicta FC 8. If they do, they would be the first Invicta Lightweight bout ever!
- Rick “The Ginger with intent to injure” Pfeifer (4-1) will battle it out with undefeated Derek Abrahamson (3-0) at XFFC 4 on April 19th in Grande Prairie!
- Fivestar Fight League has added a super solid Middleweight bout between Matt “The Riot Maker” Baker and Jared “The Yeti” McComb to their April 25th card in Fort St. John, BC!
- Want Mark Coleman’s Pride 2000 Grand Prix trophy and big ass cheque? You can bid on it on e-bay HERE. A real bargain at $24.5K!
- Sometimes it does not pay to train at Tristar! Let’s say you and your coach’s brother fight at the same weight class and are fighting on the same card. All the sudden, the coach’s brother has his opponent pull out. If you are at Tristar, your opponent is pulled from you and booked to fight your coach’s brother. That is just what happened with James Mancini (1-1) and Aiemann Zahabi (1-0)! Phil Deschambeault was Mancini’s opponent until Zahabi’s (Benny Delgado) pulled out. Now Zahabi is fighting Deschambeault (4-6) and you are scrambling for an opponent!
- Adam Lorenz fought his WSOF Canada bout against Josh Machan with a torn meniscus. Here’s hoping he heals up quickly! Also, here’s hoping that Josh Machan’s broken hand isn’t the same issue he had to deal with when he had to pull out of his WSOF bout with Shawn Albrecht!
- Battle for the Border 3 will be held in Cranbrook, BC on April 12th!
- Jesse Gross has been forced out of his Provincial FC 2 bout with Keven Morin due to a shoulder injury. Morin will now face Ainsley Robinson.
- The Randa Markos vs Lynell House bout at PFC 2 has been upgraded to a title fight and will now be for the Provincial Fighting Championship Women’s Flyweight Title!
- Congrats to ‘Bonesaw’ Brad Cardinal for opening his Cardinal MMA gym. Check out the Wreck MMA Lightweight champion’s gym at 6029 Centre Street SW in Calgary and all their programs HERE!
- Congrats to Canadian MMA pioneer Bill Mahood who received his BJJ Black Belt from Bibiano Fernandes this past weekend!
- So… the same night as WSOF Canada is going down in Edmonton, “supposed” WSOF Canada co-owner (as per his facebook page) Troy Lepage is in Arizona attending a KOTC show with Ken Kupsch and Terry Trebilcock… something doesn’t seem right here! :)
- Joslin’s MMA went .500 in Kentucky at the Bluegrass Brawl this weekend. In the win column, Johnny Sanguinetti took home a Bluegrass amateur title with a Rear Naked and David Looker also won an ammy fight by RNC. On the losing side, Chris Watson was KO’d in his pro fight, while Marc Gillespie lost a decision in his amateur contest.
- If you are David Hale, you just can’t catch a break. His pro fight was pulled the night of the fight when his opponent got a case of Chicken Flu and did not show up. UPDATE: Provincial Fighting Championships just added a Hale vs Patrick Lafleur fight to their card.
- Shane “Shaolin” Campbell came up short in his K-1 World MAX Final Four bout to Enriko Kehl, losing by unanimous decision in Baku, Azerbaijan on Sunday.
- Kickboxing stud “Bazooka” Joe Valtellini will appear as a guest coach on the new MMA reality series, Combat Americas, which is shown on the TV channel mun2. The TV station mun2 as well as Combat Americas are orientated towards a Hispanic audience. The show premiered on Sunday, February 23rd and is in Spanish with English subtitles!
- Well done Dale Kliparchuk! The Alberta commissioner has made a few positive lifestyle changes and has lost a significant amount of weight and looks great!
- There was a little altercation at WSOF Canada. From what it sounds like and details are a bit sketchy, Steve “Big Bad” Beaumont (7-2) was trying to get into the inaugural WSOF Canada show on Friday without buying a ticket, feeling as he was a WSOF Canada fighter (http://wsofcanada.com/view_fighter.php?id=116) he should be able to enter the event for free. Well WSOF Canada CFO, Steve Fader, didn’t appreciate Beaumont wanting free entry and confronted him. Eventually, the onsite police at the event were called to get into the action. Beaumont didn’t appreciate that and when he got home, he laid down a challenge to his “boss” to a fight on the next WSOF show. Big heat here!
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE2: Ladies, if you wish to have your picture posted as the gossip queen, send your photos to me as well. Email: email@example.com.