Best of Canada 2013: Submission of the Year

tmn_best_of_2013

There were quite a few submissions in 2013 that were nominated for Best Submission by a Canadian in 2013.  We even had a gogoplata! However, the three that stood out were the ones that came on bigger stages.

These three stood out from the pack as the Top 3.

Top MMA News Top 3 Submission in 2013

Luke Harris

Luke Harris

1. Luke Harris vs. Jason Zentgraf
When Luke Harris versus Jason Zentgraf was announced for MFC 37, fans and pundits alike salivated at the thought of a ground duel between these two BJJ wizards. Both men had finished 100% of their wins via submission and most of them in the first rounds. What no one expected was for one man to take the other completely to school, but that’s exactly what Harris did. Watch the video HERE as Zentgraf attempts a head kick but Harris blocks it, closes the distance, gets an over under gable grip and lands a sweet hip toss. Harris uses a scarf hold to control his opponent then fakes a step over for an arm lock and when Zentgraf bites, Luke cinches in an arm triangle neck crank combo that forces Jason to tap out for dear life. The fluidity from hip toss to control to submission is so slick that it’s sheer beauty earned the Hayabusa Training Centre fighter top honours as Canada’s Top Submission of 2013.

2. Mitch Gagnon vs. Dustin Kimura
Just like our number one submission of the year, this was meeting between two submission wizards – Mitch Gagnon, one of Canada’s best Bantamweights with one of top neck squeezes in the business, against Dustin Kimura, a Gracie trained fighter that loved to tap out his opponents. Gagnon had earned all 10 of his wins by way of submission and the Hawaiian had a tap rate of 80%, this was truly to be a display of grappling wizardry. Early on the Sudbury native pressed the action finding his distance well and countering Kimura’s striking offence while bloodying his nose. Mitch started to work his kicks but was caught by a left hook to the body that hurt him, when Kimura moved in Gagnon landed the double leg. Dustin is able to make it back to his feet but Gagnon is chasing him down landing big hooks to the head and body causing Kimura to dive in for the takedown, the exact wrong spot he wanted to be as The Team Shredder product squeezes his pythons around Dustin’s neck while pulling guard and stretching the body out. To make matters worse for Kimura Mitch rolls on top with the guillotine in full effect chocking Dustin completely unconscious and putting the first blemish on Kimura’s record. By submitting the submission specialist Gagnon earns second spot in Canada’s best submission of 2013.

3. Ryan Ford vs. Michael Hill
When the Real Deal steps into the cage, they expect one of the most aggressive Canadian fighters to tear through all opposition. When it hits the mat, the Ryan Ford army collectively holds their breath as jiu jitsu has been Ford’s kryptonite and has resulted in the majority of his losses. Ford’s last bout was against Michael Hill for the AFC Welterweight title and after breaking his forearm in the first round, Ford had to slow down his usual fast pace. In the championship bouts final round, it was Ford who took things to the mat by dragging his opponent down, taking Hill’s back while trapping one arm with his leg, and slapping on a Rear Naked Choke for the tapout – WITH A BROKEN ARM. For his efforts, Ford took home a shiny belt and Canada’s third best sub of 2013.

Honourable Mentions

• Alexis Davis finishing off her Invicta 4 Fight of the Night with Shayna Baszler with a Rear Naked Choke.
  • Curtis Brigham winning the AFC Bantamweight title with an Arm Bar on Mike Adams.
  • Clay Davidson for his Guillotine on Cody Krahn after Krahn busted him up big time.
  • Andrew McInnes nailed a Gogoplata in less than a minute and a half.
  • Dylan Mercer slapping an Anaconda on Robin Smith at ECC.
  • Ryan Machan trapping Nathan Gunn in a Triangle at XFFC.
  • Michael Davis retained his Unified Flyweight title by putting Michael Banin to sleep.

41 Responses to “ Best of Canada 2013: Submission of the Year ”

1. mcinnes says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 14 Thumb down 38

2. Fight Fan says:

^Mcinnes do realize all the guys on the list who landed subs beat formable opponents while you subbed a 0-4 guy who does not train.

3. mcinnes says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 6 Thumb down 42

4. mcinnes says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 5 Thumb down 34

5. Big boy says:

Not making weight is sweet as shit

6. Homeboy says:

Michael Karkula RNC over Brad Cardinal

Michael Imperato heel hook over Dimitri Wardenburg

Both were first round subs by the underdog over top level opponents, but this list consists mostly of TMN staff favourite fighters

Yea Luke nice one! I loved how Luke fucked that guy up after Zentgraf shit talked him!

8. Cody Moorman says:

Anybody that has any reasonable amount of training can land a “sweet as shit” sub against somebody that knows nothing.

To brag about that is kinda pathetic. If someone wants to be proud of a sweet sub they should at least land it on a formidable apponent, which is why this is a legit list.

9. mcinnes says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 5 Thumb down 32

10. Thesubzero says:

I think of it this way, in training if I gogoplata a guy on his first day is that really impressive. On some level it is because it’s a f?$&ing gogo, but if you hit a sick sub on a legit guy, that’s infinitely more impressive.

11. Terry robertson says:

Is that the real Mcinnes? Seems I like he is trying to hard to be a heel. We all know your good why no let your eventual body of work speak for itself instead of coming off like a pissy 10 year old.

Now lets wait for Robin to come and bounce your nuts off his chin and praise you for having mad skills and encouraging this nonsense even farther.

12. Hommina says:

Classy way to talk as a black belt.

13. The difficult thing making these lists is that you make 3 fighters very happy and piss off everyone else.

Karkula’s sub was good so was Imperato’s. I disagree with you on one thing. Imperato was the favorite in that fight. Waardenburg generally loses to sub specialists.

As for McInnes, he got nominated but his opposition was so very weak. Kelades did a gogo this year as well against very weak, late notice opposition. He won’t get many votes for that one either.

As for favoritism, I agree to a point. There is some bias towards fights in bigger promotions. Having video of the submission makes it easier to argue that sub’s case to other voters as well. As for saying Ford, Gagnon, and Harris won because they are our favorites, that simply is not true. Otherwise, Ford would have won for his fantastic KO. I do love watching all three fight though!

I am very happy with this sub list. Harris’ neck crank was great and was against a sub guy, Dustin Kimura was unbeaten, and Ford got a sub to win a title with a broken arm.

14. Sean Quinn says:

Who is this mcinnes guy? Sounds like a bit of a whiny little bitch.

15. mcinnes says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 11 Thumb down 21

16. alex says:

its threads like this that make me wish tmman was it’s own promotion

17. Cam Yallits says:

I would obviously prefer that a sub against a teammate would not win, but Clay Davidsons sub on Cody was very, very impressive. Cody had him OUT from elbows against the cage while Clay was hunting for the single. He had at least 5 different lacerations on his face and skull. I’ve never cornered against a guy with such heart, I was blown away by his toughness.

18. Sean Quinn says:

I don’t use aliases. Chummmmmmmmp.

“Or hopefully he could call you out on your disrespectful bs like a good media should.”

I am not “a good media”.

I am an analyst and color commentator.

I’m not a big fan of media (CNN/msnbc/FOX News are all media but its all ‘opposite-land’ nonsense) or reporters. I don’t break news and if I interview people its about technique or fight analysis, not news or gossip.

That’s my job (and man I really dig it) but when I post on here I am posting as a person who likes stuff and likes to hang out and read and write stuff with friends and acquaintances, I’m not working.

Anyhoo, I like McInnis. I like his dumb sense of humor. I like his pro wrestling heel vibe. It’s refreshing.

If you hate it then it’s working thus illustrating that I am correct in thinking he’s good at it.

Science.

20. Mike Russell says:

“Hate away, but I have the best bjj and the best submissions in the country.”

I don’t know. Might be some OGs like Bocek and Nancoo that might disagree; actually, no they wouldn’t. Guys like that don’t brag about themselves.

10 Chael points, though. You have people talking about you.

21. Terry robertson says:

I don’t hate it, just think it is dumb. And like it or not you are media.

Real science

22. topmmafan says:

I think it’s absolutely embarrassing to come on here and complain about who was picked and then go on about yourself and how good you think you are. Let your actions speak for yourself and go about your business in the cage like a true fighter. Better yet, why don’t you fight some stiff competition and perform the same subs on them before you come on here and brag about a gogo against a milk bag with arms.

Part of the gig of being a performing artist or performing athlete is to get people to have some investment in your performance. It helps you get opportunities and get paid more.

If people think you’re a jerk and pay to watch so they can boo you and hope you get your comeuppance that’s one way to do it.

It’s tougher to do psychologically because part of that strategy involves being disliked, which can be a challenge for some people.

But if you don’t mind that or find it oddly enjoyable then its a workable angle.

But hey, maybe I’m wrong.

Maybe he’s just a straight up Dick.

Terry what do you do for work?

Cheers

26. There is no doubt that people pay attention to McInnes due to his heel rants. They want to see him win or, more likely, want to see him lose.

Either way, they want to see him.

27. Terry robertson says:

Robin,

At the tender age of 33 I am going back to school to purse journalism. Injuries have put an end to my athletic endeavours and I NEED to stay involved with the sports I am passionate about.

I agree with you guys on the benefits of being a polarizing figure, but at the same time there is a fine line between being polarizing and just plain old disliked.

I predict Mcinnes will have difficulty straddling that line based on his already feeble attempts.

Just my opinion and I don’t mean to ride you too hard about it(har har) Robin, you are good at what you do and I kinda look up to you and envy what you do.

Sometimes I don’t agree with the things you write and your opinions but I appreciate your always willing to engage and debate.

28. Cosmo Kramer says:

Cmon Quinn, your buddy at Hayabusa told everyone you’re Donnie.

Super cool Terry good luck with journalism man.

Really cool to see someone changing careers to pursue something they love.

You don’t ride me (uh, um) too much man, the reason I asked what you do is because a few of your opinions lately were interesting and I assumed you had an educated perspective.

Good luck man cheers appreciate your thoughts too.

30. Homeboy says:

Doesn’t really matter what Mcinnes says anyway. When he actually faces a real pro, his glass jaw is going to get cracked, just like laprise did to him. Maybe in Alberta he’s the top grappler, only because Ontario spat him out across the country. Is it a coincidence that once he was able to grow that pubic hair beard, he gained all this attitude cause he thinks he looks tough now. He is not a fighter, he is a submission grappler who thinks his subs are good enough to compete in mma. He can’t take a punch or throw one no matter how long or who he trains with and that won’t change

31. McInnes says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 4 Thumb down 23

32. The Spartan says:

Luke is beast. Congrats homie.

Sergeij is leg lock (Bone Collector) and 2014 candidate!

My Alias is Elias!

33. The Spartan says:

McInnes, keep doing you… Because, love you or hate you, they still watching…

Judo chop!

E.

34. Sean Quinn says:

Topmmanews can confirm that I am not and never have been Donnie.

I am Spartacus

36. Sean Quinn is not Donnie.

37. Alec says:

Too bad Mcinnes didn’t compete in his super fight this past weekend at the submission ace cup I would have loved to have seen the “best” jiu jitsu guy in Canada.

38. Donald "Not Quinn" Duck says:

A couple of things:

1. Luke’s submission was sick! I used to get a neck throw off of that entry (most people don’t defend a neck throw in nogi or MMA) to arm triangle but his variation makes mine look white belt level!

2. McInness – Calling a guy out who just had major knee surgery = bitch move.

3. I am not that little midget Quinn. For one thing he’s way cuter and not nearly as fat as me.

4. BIG RIG 4 LIFE!

5. I have occasionally been Showtyme’s Ghost Writer.

Donnie

PS – I’m not Big Boy either.

PPS – I might be Quinn.

PPPS – Nope, I’m tall enough to ride a roller coaster and don’t need a booster seat to drive a car. I am definitely not Quinn.

39. Homeboy says:

How could I fight you when you were always running away, hiding behind Bocek? Keep trying to act tough. You’re still the same anti-social dork with no friends. You and showtime should hang out, a couple of Ontario rejects

40. Donald "Not Quinn" Duck says:

I was washing my hands after going #2 and realized that I could see over the sink counter. This totally means I could not be Quinn.

Just wanted to put that out there.

Thanks again.