Brandon MacArthur Passes Away At 28 Years Old

Photo: Charles Penner

Photo: Charles Penner

Sad news coming out of the great fight north as Middleweight Brandon MacArthur passed away last night. The cause of death is still unconfirmed at this time but his passing was confirmed by people close to him.

Top MMA News would like to send our thoughts and prayers to all his family, friends and team mates.

MacArthur may not have had the best record but was always down for a scrap and saved many a fighter a pay day by accepting bouts on weeks and even days notice when the injury bug bit. Sure he may have had only 8 wins in 33 outings but he fought some this country’s best like John Makdessi, Mitch Clarke, Jesse Bongfeldt and Luke Harris. MacArthur had started to find his MMA game over the last year going 2-2 in his last four outings earning both wins via first round arm bar.

He was known as a great guy in out of the locker room and was always in high spirits. Plenty of Canada’s top athletes had nothing but glowing things to say about the man:

“Ya I knew him pretty good. My best bro lived in Fernie & trained with him. Real gamer always came to fight & fearless. If the sport didn’t have guys like him there would be way less awesome fights. Guys like that truly build the sport” – Clay Davidson

“I knew him only as a fighter, fought him twice and we brought him in to fight for Havoc. He was always a class act and wasn’t scared to fight anyone at any time. True Warrior, he will be missed.” – Ryan Machan

“He Was always fun to work with and be around will miss him.” – Lee Mein

“… he was a super cool guy to talk to.” – Mike Davis

“He was honest, rough and rugged man. He didn’t have an ounce of quit in him. he reminded me of poor mans Paul BUNYAN WITH HIs MOUNTAIN MAN EXTERIOR AND ROUGH N TUMBLE PERSONA. Very down to earth and under appreciated. He did things his way and was hell of alot btter than his MMA record indicated. We kept in touch since we fought back in 2007 and he would always be very encouraging of me and we would always catch up at various fight event. He would brag at other shows that his armbar win over me was the highlight of his career. well looking back it all makes sense now. RIP Brandon takin FAR TOO YOUNG AND I FIND THIS KINDA HARD TO WRITE CUZ THat old japanese proverb is true” you never REALLY NOW SOMEONE TIL YOU FIGHT THEM” REST EASY WARRIOR.” –  Ryan Chiappe

33 Responses to “ Brandon MacArthur Passes Away At 28 Years Old ”

1. Ryan Machan says:

Very sad news.

2. McDooogs says:

:( Sending love to the family.

3. Mike Davis says:

Sad news R.I.P everytime he was around a card he cracked him up guy was funny sad to see him go, was fun to watch fight was not in many boring fights and was a fighter in and out.

Sad news, I always liked him and cheered for him. RIP

5. Rick Clarke says:

So sad to hear. He fought my son Mitch shortly before Mitch got a call to the UFC Seemed like a very nice guy and tough as nails. Sad day for MMA in Canada.

This is brutally sad news. Way way way too young to go.

Life often really doesn’t seem to be fair.

Here’s hoping there’s fights upstairs they need him to bravely step in for.

7. Ryan Chiappe says:

rip Brandon. I have always known this , but this being the first death of a guy i shared the cage with. You share a connection forever and it sure rings true today. He was man”s man, old school, meat and potatoes guy. Bet back when they were popular you didnt see a shiny Tshirt or Bedazzled Hoodie on him. He was as tough as the came and had heart. You will be missed buddy. Give me a rematch up in the big house when its time> RIP

8. Cody Krahn says:

R.I.P. Dude was always game for a tough matchup. That’s the mark of a true fighter.

9. PUCK says:

Great guy, sad day.

10. Very sad news today! Loved you energy and willingness to step up to the plate at a moments notice. Thank you for always making time to talk to us Brandon and thank you for all those great moments inside and outside of the cage!

11. Old School Jake says:

Thoughts and prayers are with Brandon’s loved ones. Sad news and a loss for the MMA community.

12. Donald Duck says:

I always say the measure of a man is found in the words of others. Wish I’d have gotten the chance to know him.

RIP

Donnie

13. Allen hope says:

Brandon was a true worrier and a great guy I’m honord to have shared the cage with him .

14. AMLECF says:

Warrior, Allen. Brandon was a warrior

15. Stephan613 says:

RIP Brandon

16. Derek medler says:

Very sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to the ones that were closest to Brandon. Guy was a Warrior, I got to share the cage with him in my first pro fight. I knew I was in for a good one when he was telling all my friends at weigh-ins about how he was gonna smash me. Lol love you bro rest in peace

Terrible news, I only met Brandon a couple times but he seemed like a good guy and never shied away from a tough fight, hard not to respect his heart! RIP Brandon… you’ll be missed!

18. Spencer Jebb says:

RIP brandon.

19. Adam Lorenz says:

Sad news. Condolences to his friends and family.

20. BOOBOO says:

WHAT A LOSE TO THE MMA COMMUNITY , HIS LOVE FOR THE SPORT WAS UNMATCHED AND MY PRAYERS ARE WITH HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS . RIP – BMAC , YOU WERE ONE OF MY FAVORITE FIGHTERS TO WATCH !

21. t-bone says:

I worked with Brandon for many of his fights , he was a great man always ready to get into a tough scrap with any one , including his last fight in Red Deer . He will be missed ,my best to his family and friends. RIP

Fucking heartbreaking . My sympathies to the people who knew him.

23. Marcus Ossoduro Vinicius says:

Very sad to hear this new

24. Marv says:

Such a terrible thing to happen, so young, so much life left to live. Rest in peace and my deepest condolences go out to friends and family

25. Tyler Davis says:

Brandon was bar none the funniest guy to have In a back room, he lightened the mood of wherever he was. He was sincerely a nice guy to everyone and was very welcoming. He was always fun to bullshit with and could get anyone laughing within seconds. He always threw down in fights and was the definition of a gamer. You could always hear him throw leg kicks in the back, he was very talented when it came to fighting he just didn’t care who and when he fought. We could all learn a little from his care free attitude. Condolences to his family and friends, the Mma community lost a great guy and he will be fondly remembered. Brandon we will all miss you.

26. Chad freeman says:

What a loss! Great guy in and out of the cage! He loved to fight! I never had the chance to get to know him to well but had a great time with him when we were in pg for fivestar!warrior!

27. Zac says:

He was my best friend of all time. He was the best guy I have ever met. Brandon had zero bullshit in him. He was a man of honor. Growing up he was the toughest guy in the neighborhood and the first guy to stick up for the little/bullied kids. I will always look up to his nothing is impossible attitude. Brandon would fight and die for his friends and family. That’s who he was. I Love You Bro

28. hank lukyn says:

rip brandon. classy guy, he handed me a first round armbar loss in my hometown, then bought me shots after the fight and shared some stories from his career. it was an honor.

29. Robert Macarthur says:

Thanks to all comments as he was all of that and more. A piece of our hearts go with him. He followed his dream and good or bad never said I quit. It is an honor to call him my son.

30. Deeply sorry for your loss, Robert.

31. Fake Phil Baroni says:

ive watched a few of his fight over the years…RIP SIR

32. ken kupsch says:

Robert, I was shocked and saddened to hear of Brandons passing. He was always a pleasure to work with and really stood out as one of the good guys.

Most of us can not imagine what it’s like to lose a son or daughter but it has to be the absolute most painful thing that can happen in life. It’s not suppose to be like that.

I hope you and your family can take some comfort in knowing that Brandon was very well liked and touched so many peoples lives in his short time.

My deepest sympathy,
    Ken Kupsch
    KOTC

33. Ashley MacArthur says:

Almost a year later and I just read these comments. Thank you to everyone who has said all these kind things about my brother – all of them true. He was truly one of a kind, and those who love him will always feel a tremendous void and our hearts will never stop aching. His laughter and sense of humor is what I miss most and I am not surprised to hear that he brought happiness to so many others. RIP my brother. We love you…xo