Kevin CroomFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

‘Unbreakable’ Croom to challenge Birchak for MFC BW crown

One of the hottest fighters in the world today will get his shot at the Maximum Fighting Championship’s bantamweight title at MFC 40: Crowned Kings.

“The Hard-Hitting Hillbilly” Kevin Croom has signed a multi-fight deal with the MFC and will challenge reigning bantamweight champion Anthony Birchak in a co-headliner of three title fights at MFC 40 on Friday, May 9 live on AXS TV Fights from the Shaw Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta.

Croom (14-4) is on an outstanding tear of late, winning an astounding eight fights in 2013 highlighted by seven first-round finishes. Those efforts have vaulted the Columbia, Missouri, native to #37 in the Fight Matrix world rankings. Meanwhile, Birchak (11-1), who is ranked #55 in the world by Fight Matrix, will mark his first title defense riding a five-fight winning streak.

“I’m just a guy from a lower-middle class family from Missouri so being the MFC champion would mean the world to me. It would be the coolest thing to ever happen in my life,” said Croom, who expressed no reservation about jumping into MFC fray to face the champ.

“I feel unbreakable. The biggest thing is I know is that I won’t beat myself. At this level in this sport, everyone is a gifted athlete so it really becomes more of a mental game. Right now, I have my mental game plan at 100%.”

Croom’s run of success in 2013 included fights in Mexico and Kazakhstan, and will certainly go down as one of the most remarkable achievement in mixed martial arts history. The 26-year-old, who now fights out of Albuquerque, New Mexico, chalked up the incredible streak to finally establishing what works best for him.

“I’ve been fighting for seven years and it took me five and a half years to find the right formula. I’ve found the correct frequency to operate on,” said Croom.

“I try not to focus on my opponent. I let my coaches worry about that. I just focus on myself. My coaches tell me how to train and what I have to do to beat an opponent and then that’s what I go out and do.”

Croom’s title shot is subject to him having a successful outcome in a schedule bout outside the MFC on Feb. 28.

The Birchak-Croom bantamweight title fight joins two other MFC title bouts set for May 9. In a rematch for the MFC lightweight crown, Tom “Da Tank” Gallicchio meets Kurt “The Hurt” Southern, and reigning MFC middleweight champion “Smilen” Sam Alvey will defend his belt with his opponent to be named soon.

Tickets for MFC 40: Crowned Kings are on sale now via www.ticketmaster.ca and by calling the MFC Ticket Hotline at (780) 504-2024.

8 Responses to “ Hard-Hitting Hillbilly Signs Multi-fight Deal that Launches with Bantamweight Title Fight At MFC 40 ”

1. Jondi Mae says:

This fight wont happen. The Hillbilly is on a multi fight with Titan Fighting.

2. The Truth says:

Why do fighters do this kind of stuff.

3. Brian Shute says:

Think he can make the weight? This press release is hilarious…

Croom’s win streak “will certainly go down as one of the most remarkable achievement in mixed martial arts history.”? Really? A solid fighter, no doubt, but these kind of statements make the MFC look and sound stupid.

4. Paveldouche says:

“these kind of statements make the MFC look and sound stupid.”

Look who wrote it and who they wrote it for.

Yeah, I said it!

5. smash says:

who cares.

6. Graham Weenk says:

This type of article is exactly what fighters should get. I had no idea who this guy was before, now I am interested to see him fight.

I wish more shows in Canada would promote their fighters and help fighters to promote themselves, get their name out.

I know allota of MFC haters on here, but they do a great job of promoting their talent, getting the fighter’s name known to the mma world. I don’t get how guys hate on that. Basically saying U hate to see fighters getting notoriety??

These fighters work very hard to put on a show for the fans. MFC helps them become known better than any other Canadian show I’ve worked with so far. I really hope more Canadian shows will start doing the same.

Mma training is some of the toughest training in any sport, and the payouts pale in comparison to other pro sports not to mention the difference between winning and losing is often one wrong move in one millisecond, if a show promotes these guys as larger than life, I am all for it. These fighters deserve it.

7. Zangief says:

Kurt Southern= Next MFC Lightweight Chamption.

Bank on it.

WAR KURT

8. Caleb says:

MMA has allowed many young athletes to get a chance at making a name for themselves. With all of the media and promotions, seeing fights like this will become part of the norm.