Canadian MMA Rumour Mill – January 27, 2014
How is everyone doing today? I hope you have recovered from the main event of UFC on FOX 10. If you were one of the fight nerds screaming that The Punk should have won, look at the bright side – with your blood boiling you were able to turn down the thermostat and save some bucks on a cold winter night!
On to the rumours:
- It looks like things have gone sour between Smealinho Rama and MFC, as they are parting ways after Rama’s contract expires on February 14! “The Prince” will still get some love on Valentine’s Day as he has signed a one fight deal with WSOF which will become official the day his MFC contract expires! I choo-choo-choose you!
- The UFC will release its schedule for events in 2014 for Canada this Wednesday (Jan 29th) at 12 pm Eastern Time at a presser in Quebec City!
- Steve Williams is currently indefinitely suspended by the Moncton Boxing & Wrestling Commission (MBWC) for not having honored his agreement to creditors who have assisted him in making several of his past events possible and contravening the Moncton City By-Law. CNMMAF???
- Alex Ricci will take on Ryan Healy at Provincial Fighting Championship 2 in London, Ontario on March 2! Great battle of two guys who lost to Jesse Ronson. This one will tell us where Ricci will stands.
- Vladimir Starcenov is rumoured to be fighting in Montreal around the end of May! Unfortunately, it does not look like the return will be full time. Vlad is missing the action and is looking to pick up the odd fight here or there!
- AMMACS, Pecker’s amateur MMA show in Ontario, will hold its third event on February 23rd.
- A pair of great XFFC title fights on their April 19th show in Grande Prairie!
- Ricky Goodall seems to be calling it a career and retiring, at least for now, following his 1st round submission loss to Patrick Vallee at ECC 19 in Halifax this weekend.
- Chase Maxwell will be fighting for the Unified Welterweight Title on Unified 19! Date TBA
- Top MMA News’ 2013 Rookie of the Year Randa Markos picked up the first blemish of her MMA career as she lost a unanimous decision to Justine Kish at RFA 12(Resurrection Fighting Alliance) in Los Angeles on Friday night.
- The long talked about fight between Allen Hope and Mike Kent may actually happen at Unified MMA in Edmonton on March 28th! If this fight happens I hope that these two guys don’t hug it out pre or post fight and actually take out their dislike for each other in the cage! JUST BLEED!!!!!
- CNMMAF is promoting Martin Trempe as being a “Heavyweight on the Road to the World Amateur Championships”. Now, Quebec allows him to fight amateur because he has a losing pro record, but should he fight for Canada when he has fought twice professionally?
- Heroes Combat League will debut on April 5th in Ottawa. The show will be run by Nabil Khatib and will be the first amateur MMA event ever in our nation’s capital!
- Nabil Khatib is also in the midst of launching a scholarship program for MMA fighters. More details to follow on this one in the coming weeks.
- Congrats to Mike O’Neill who received his Shooto brown belt last week!
- Poor Matt Baker! He cut all his weight (he’s a big boy!) and then the promoter of Fight Now Brasil cancels the card! Sorry to hear this that’s for sure. Baker will now be focusing his attention on his WSOF Canada bout against Teddy Ash on February 21 in Edmonton.
- Lindsey Hawkes tore his ACL and will unfortunately be out of action for a while.
- Hard Knocks 35 will be held in Calgary on April 25, 2014. As per the usual, the card will be a Pro/Am show.
- Ryan Hall is injured and out of his MMA Fight Night bout on March 6, Mario Perreira’s name has been thrown around as a possible replacement to take on Maxime Dubois!
- Congrats to Sean Pierson on the birth of his son, Hunter!
- K-1 World MAX Final Four pairings have been set and Shane Campbell is set to fight Enriko Kehl of Germany with K-1 and Muay Thai legend Buakaw taking on Sung Hyung Lee. The Final Four will take place on February 23rd in Baku, Azerbaijan. Also Mukai Maromo will get a chance to compete at this world event and take on Tural Bayramov of Azerbaijan in a 72.5kg bout at the K-1 event.
- Elmer Waterhen’s pro Muay Thai debut was unsuccessful as he lost by body kick TKO in round 4 to Mark MacKinnon at Challenger Muay Thai Fight Series 9 in Calgary this past weekend.
- Also appearing on the card was Hakeem Dawodu (defeated Junpei Hirai via 1st round TKO) who is rumoured to be looking to make the jump to competing in MMA as well as his current first choice combat sport of Muay Thai. Dawodu is an up and coming Muay Thai star who is 8-0 as a pro fighter (incl. winning an 8-man 1 night tournament) who also holds a 42-5 amateur record and several national and international titles.
- If you watch the TV show The Tomorrow People on the CW look for Paul Lazenby. He is in quite a few episodes of the show as a stunt actor!