Canadian Rumour Mill – December 16, 2013
So Georges St-Pierre is now on hiatus. It is much deserved! Congrats to GSP on his excellent career. By the way, why hasn’t Dana White taken more flack for that UFC 167 press conference where he said that GSP was beaten and on his way to the hospital. Meanwhile, Georges never left the building and the UFC public relations team was trying to keep Georges out of the press conference.
I would also like to express my condolences to the family and friends of Shane Del Rosario and Joe Camacho, who both passed away following heart attacks.
On to the rumours – some gems in here!
- Stellar matchup alert! Two of the most aggressive fighters in Canada face off as Ryan Ford will take on Joel Powell at World Series of Fighting in a Welterweight match up in Edmonton ! This has been much requested fight by many in MMA, and I’m very excited this fight is happening.
- Joel Powell was going to take on Ryan Dickson in the next Hard Knocks main event, but did not sign due to this opportunity. Someone needs to step up and fight Dickson who is left stranded for a fight once again! How about Ryan Machan stepping up to fight Dickson for a battle of two Canadian Welterweights who missed getting on TUF Nations?
- Another long-awaited matchup! Alex Ricci and Jason Saggo will battle it out at ECC 19 on January 25th in Halifax. The bout will be for the ECC Lightweight Championship. Winner will definitely cement his spot in my Top 5 Hottest Canadian MMA fighters list!
- MFC 40 will be on May 9th.
- Sam Stout now holds the UFC record for most decisions in a UFC career at 15 passing Jon Fitch (14). Stout now also has landed the second most significant strikes by a UFC fighter ever with 965, the current record holder is GSP with 1,254. Wait a minute! With St-Pierre done with the UFC, Stout is now also #1 with most significant strikes by a current UFC fighter.
- Mark Holst lost to Fernando Martinez via split decision in his MMA bout in Argentina. Simon Marcus picked up a win in his Muay Thai bout.
- Shane “Shaolin” Campbell has jumped up his K-1 Final 8 debut and is now fighting on December 28th in Foshan, China and will take on Christopher Mena.
- Big Titan/Tristar News! Word out of Tristar is that Titan Fighting has a new owner and could be signing a major TV deal very shortly! Guess who could be doing colour commentary on the broadcast. None other than Mr. Tristar – Firas Zahabi !
- Sounds like the first Titan card will be in February with Tristar’s Mike Ricci taking on Jorge Gurgel in the main event.
- David Loiseau will be looking to extend his win streak on the February Titan card, as well.
- Ontario kick boxing star “Bazooka” Joe Valtellini will take on Raymond “The Real Deal” Daniels in the semi finals of GLORY’S 4-man Welterweight World Championship 1 night tourney in Tokyo, Japan on December 21st. Winner will take on the winner of Nieky Holzken vs Karapet Karapetyan for the $100,000 Grand Prize and title!
- Warning Bells Going Off! – Anyone else keeping up with the Canadian National MMA Federation (CNMMAF)? They are springing up Facebook groups faster than Elite 1 did when they originated. That should be no surprise because John and Steve Williams were running Elite 1 MMA back then and they are heading up the CNMMAF group as well. The CNMMAF wants to name 20 champions from every province by the end of January and then have nationals in April in Calgary to pick a team of 20 to fight in Las Vegas at the IMMAF championships. Most of the provincial tournaments are in a month’s time. I would not be sending any application fee to this group, though. That is a steep task to do in 4-5 months and the CNMMAF President is the same guy who allegedly faked his own MMA fight in Elite 1. How did John Williams even become President?
- Having Bill Mahood as the CNMMAF Vice President does give the organization some credibility, however, has anyone heard of these guys: Ashida Funikoshi – National Technical Director and CNMMAF Manitoba Director, Eddie Williams – Director Youth MMA Canada, Wayne Williams – National Events Coordinator? I haven’t. Let me know if you have! Steven J. Wong, who produced The Striking Truth, is a National Technical Advisor.
- One last CNMMAF note: The current Elite 1 MMA owner – Mike Williams has been doing a great job and ran great shows prior to the MMA ban in Moncton. It appears he is not involved with CNMMAF. Joey Benoit, from LAMMQ, is listed on the web site but is not involved either.