The Ultimate Fighter 18 Recap: Episode 5 – Louis Fisette vs David Grant

ultimate-fighter THUMBJessica Rakoczy and Roxanne Modafferi talk and Modafferi says if she had to lose, she is glad it was to Jessica. Roxanne is really broken up and crying heavily in the back yard. She does says she has to keep moving forward. She is the “Happy Warrior” and she has to prove it.

David Grant and Louis Fisette are roommates and friends. Fisette calls Grant “a great guy.” He says this is his “second chance and he is going to make the best of it.”

Raquel Pennington talks about being a gay athlete. She says her mom took it the hardest when she came out. It is when her and her dad became closer. After her battles with her mom, they became close once again.

David Grant is feeling homesick. He is looking at his kids’ pictures. He is engaged and is hoping to marry his girl if he wins. He says his girl is the reason that he can follow his dream. He started fighting at age 14 when he started kickboxing with his dad to stay in shape.

Rousey says that even though Grant is a striker, it opens up submissions for him after he pounds on them for a while.

Truth or Dare
Who is the hottest guy in the house? Sarah Moras says Anthony Gutierrez.
Julianna Pena says “Gross” to the camera. Says his personality makes him ugly. He acts like a little boy.

Use a cheesy pick’up line to pick up Roxanne Modafferi, the sweetest girl in the house. Josh Hill asks her while she is writing her Japanese blog, “Nice shoes, want to BEEP.” It cracks the house up.

Who is the weakest link out of all the guys in the house? Anthony Gutierrez points to Louis Fisette, who gets offended. Gutierrez explains that Fisette is the weakest link because he is the only one to have tapped out. “He did lose his elimination fight and got into the house for free,” says Gutierrez. Fisette agrees that his performance to get into the house was not his best performance.

Growing up in Canada…Fisette never got into fights. When he was 18, his friend brought him to the gym. Fisette calls himself the “biggest underdog in the house.” He says he “is used to being underestimated.” Fisette says he lost his job for this opportunity.

Tate says that Grant does not fight well moving backwards and she knows Louis will move forward. She likes the matchup because Grant does not have the ground game that Holdsworth does.

Fisette says 90% of the people expect Grant to beat him. Fisette refuses to fear anybody.

Chris Holdsworth and Anthony Gutierrez eat a bunch of food and everyone talks weight. Cody Bollinger weighs in at 157.5. Fisette and Grant are cutting weight. Fisette has nine pounds to cut. Grant has a lot more to cut.

Ronda Rousey brings her mother, world Judo champion Ann Maria Demars, to the camp. “A lot of people will understand me more after they see my mom,” says Rousey. Rousey says she is the nice one because her mom is so intense. Demars asks why everyone isn’t doing some training. Great Demars line – you are not training to be the best in the world, you are training to be the best in the world on your worst day.

Jessamyn Duke says Rousey’s level of intensity, competitiveness are much more clear once you meet her mom.

Fisette talks to Holdsworth who says Fisette can shock the world. Fisette says he will come forward in the fight.

Ronda Rousey and mom come to the TUF house. She meets David Grant, who shows her his kids’ pictures.

Miesha Tate and her coaches put a Sesame Street Count figurine in Team Rousey’s room. They say Edmond Traverdyan looks like the Count and they put Edmond’s name on it. Edmond has a unibrow so they put a coupon for eyebrow waxing on it. Rousey’s team finds it. They say they will not show him it. “They are going to get it when I beat the BEEP out of Miesha again,” says Rousey.

Weigh-In: David Grant (135) vs Louis Fisette (135.5)

White does not know how to call this one. He said both guys looked real strong in their first fights.

Grant and Fisette have nothing but respect for each other.

Louis Fisette vs David Grant
R1. Leg kick by Grant. Grant pressures Fisette and throws some knees at his midsection. Grant pushing him against the cage but Fisette reverses it. Three punches by Grant land. Fisette throws a knee, which is caught, and then tries to throw the other and drops to his back in full guard. Fisette has him tied up pretty well. Grant lands a punch to the stomach. Fisette has a cut on his forehead. Grant throwing the odd punch from Fisette’s closed guard. More shots by Grant and Fisette rolls for a leg. Grant in side now and goes for an arm bar. Fisette escapes and is on top. Grant stands but Fisette tries to get his back. Loses it and Fisette is on the bottom again. Elbows by Grant and a lot more punches. Fisette in trouble and ref Winslow is getting ready to stop it as he is not fighting back while Grant is dropping elbows. Saved by the bell.
Top MMA News scores the round 10-8 Grant

R2. Fisette shoots but is stuffed. Fisette pushes Grant against the fence but Grant slams him down. Side control by Grant and then full mount. Back mount now and Grant has a rear naked choke on him. Fisette taps out.
David Grant submits Louis Fisette by Rear Naked Choke in Round 2

Rousey thinks Grant is going to do very well after the show is over.

Fisette says he had his “second opportunity and he let is slip through his hands again.” He admits it was a one-sided beating.

Next fight: Jessamyn Duke vs Raquel Pennington

Tate likes the matchup and says they planned that matchup the whole time.

136 Responses to “ The Ultimate Fighter 18 Recap: Episode 5 – Louis Fisette vs David Grant ”

1. joe lewis says:

@terry I believe Quinn won his fight last year then took the Davis fight on short notice !, He also was winning against Eric Wilson then was injured…If my facts are incorrect I apoligize…truth is , if Quinn is still fighting , and Davis wants no part of a Whitlock fight….why not fight Quinn again..

2. Idolmaker says:

Davis is very stupid! But he ain’t that stupid!

3. Idolmaker says:

Did I mention stupid? Watch one of his interviews, or use his comments for reference.

4. wuzjustsayin says:

So Lyndon Whitlock needs to drop to 135 to get a win is desperately looking for a fight.

Is there no one in the East worthy of taking the challenge??

What about Hill, or is he tied up with a UFC contract also??

5. smash says:

Eric Wilson should be a 125er and Sean Quinn is 7-6, so no I wouldn’t put him in a top 10 or 15 of the bantamweight division. Case in point, Tyler Davis needs to step it up.

6. wuzjustsayin says:

Really?

If I recall correctly Eric Wilson was Josh Hill’s second last fight and unfortunately Quinn and Hill never got to meet.

It would of been a good “Matchup” both being wrestlers.

7. Gnp says:

If fissette is tied up with a ufc comittment , why wouldn’t Hill be… Neither fighter could do anything till the show is over…

8. Joe Lewis says:

@wujustsayin… Take a moment and think before. You comment….. No one worthy in the east….. Lyndon Whitlock needs to drop to get a win….josh hill vs Sean Quinn … All stupid comments dumb ass!!!!

9. wuzjustsayin says:

Canadian 135 should be very interesting in the new year!!

10. M.F.M says:

Tyler Davis, if your interested in throwing down with Whitlock hit me up on twitter or FB. You and I talked once before when I was struggling to find Josh Hill a fight. I think we could make this one happen!

Scott Macovi

11. Lee says:

What about Tyler Davis vs Curtis Brigham?

12. Idolmaker says:

Tyler is silent! He chirps when he shouldn’t chirp, beaks when he shouldn’t beak, all things that a fuckin chicken does. Stay irrelevant man! You belong small time, in small time shows.

13. Donald Duck says:

Crutis would tie Tyler in a bow.

Tyler is correct to stay silent on this.

Donnie

14. Tyler Davis says:

So the guy with the fake name behind his computer is calling me a chicken? Somehow I’m ok with that, I don’t think chickens chirp by the way they cluck. Have a great day!

15. Idolmaker says:

Haha get over the whole fake name stuff. I’m not, nor will I ever be, fearful of you. I do not present my true name, for reasons that are mine and mine alone. I said I’d introduce myself to you, if ever at an event we both attended. Which leaves one of two scenarios. Either I haven’t been to an event you’ve attended, or I don’t go to the much lower quality shows. Which are one in the same, because you don’t have the juice to make it above c level fighter status. The best effort you can make, beyond lack of natural talent, is to TRY to make yourself relevant. You Tyler, do not have the mind to do so.

16. Idolmaker says:

Btw baby chickens do chirp. Cluck cluck lil bitch demon

I’ve never met Tyler but I’ve met his brother Mike. Mike is super cool to drink a beer with and extremely likeable.

18. I wish Idolmaker came up to me at an event and said hi!

BOO BOO too.

After meeting Harry Balls 5 years ago, these are the next 2 I need to meet!

MAD Harry Balls was hanging with us after my fight at SLAMM last year too.

I wish I could have a beer with him every week. Good doo, legit insight and perspective.

doo = dood = dude

21. Donald Duck says:

F**k you MAD! I was sure I’d have made your list.

Donnie

PS – I’ve met both Tyler and Mike. Mike was annoying but maybe he’s matured and Tyler was pretty quiet. I hear Sensei Vig has a mellowing quality.

22. BOOBOO says:

HAHA FUCKADUK !

@MAD – SAY HI , HAHA , MY ASS . US THREE WOULD GO TO FUCKING JAIL !

23. LOL

I wish I knew who the duck was also!!

quack quack

I met Tyler once, he was cool

24. Nothing we’d do should put us in jail though! ;)

25. Bobby K says:

Are you guys talking about chicks and jail???
    I love that stuff
    This is excellent!

Thanks, gents. It was nice to meet you guys/give you those tshirts.
    I hope you cats can make the next WRECK.

27. Nope bobby k, nothing we’d do would put us in jail.

And it wouldn’t involve any “chicks”

28. I still have that shirt.

That was awesome

Always a great time running into Harry Balls

29. Tyler Davis says:

Duck Coach/kru/sensei Gary Vig is the man, he emulates a true martial artist. I look up to him in many ways and he has helped me out allot. I think it’s truly funny for people to assume character can be correctly measured by nothing more that than internet banter. I come on this site to amuse myself halt work productivity and try to pick a fight here and there. Idolmaker hey sorry I’m not living up to your expectations as a fighter, but I got into this sport because I loved it. Not trying to impress anyone, just doing what I love to do. But criticisms from losers like you must mean I’m doing something right. So thanks for the motivation :)

30. Idolmaker says:

That’s actually quite accurate Tyler. But in the opposite fashion. Ive criticized bobby k, show time, todd stout and you. Not exactly select company. I’ve met you, you’re at your essence a prick. Don’t get me wrong, you may have matured, but I know you as a prick, and that’s where it stands. I give everyone a chance until I meet them. Unless for obvious reasons, I don’t like what they’re about.

31. Idolmaker says:

Robin, do you enjoy when hairy balls are hanging around you? Is an mma forum the place to state this? ;)

32. Idolmaker says:

Mad trust me it’s much more comfortable running with hairless balls.

33. I like the extra challenge of friction

I hate shaving my face, couldn’t imagine balls

34. Bobby K says:

I shave my balls

Yes I like balls. You got me.

36. PUCK says:

bah ha ha I’m going to laugh my ass off everytime I see ya on round 5 now Robin….lol Thanks!