Penn Goes to Featherweight to Coach TUF, Finish Edgar Trilogy

ultimate-fighter THUMB
(UFC Press Release)
Las Vegas, Nevada – Faced with the challenge of outdoing its current historic, adrenaline-charged season of The Ultimate Fighter®, the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®) today confirmed that the next season of its long-running reality series will feature former champions “The Prodigy” BJ Penn and Frankie “The Answer” Edgar as coaches. The storied foes will coach a cast of middleweight (185 lbs.) and light heavyweight (205 lbs.) fighters in their quest to win the title of Ultimate Fighter and a six-figure contract with the UFC.

“BJ Penn is moving down to 145 lbs. to coach The Ultimate Fighter against Frankie Edgar,” said UFC President Dana White. “BJ really hates the fact that he lost to Frankie Edgar. It’s something that’s been burning deep inside of him for three years now. So he’s moving down to 145 lbs. to not only avenge those defeats, but to try and become the first fighter in UFC history to win titles in three different weight classes.”

Widely considered one of the greatest fighters in UFC history, Penn (16-9-2 in MMA) is one of only two men to win UFC world titles in two separate divisions. The former welterweight and lightweight champion has defeated a Who’s Who of MMA, including UFC champions Matt Hughes, Matt Serra and Sean Sherk. His reign over the UFC’s 155lbs. division was ended in 2010’s Upset of the Year, when he was outpointed by Frankie Edgar. “The Prodigy” not only returns to the UFC but also The Ultimate Fighter, after coaching season five back in 2007.

After defeating Penn in two fights, Edgar (15-4-1) established a reputation for lightweight excellence. “The Answer” defended the lightweight championship in a pair of all-time classic battles with Gray Maynard before losing the title on a controversial decision to Benson Henderson. Edgar then dropped to featherweight, where many believe he will join Penn as a two-division world champion.

The series begins filming in mid-October in Las Vegas.

7 Responses to “ Penn Goes to Featherweight to Coach TUF, Finish Edgar Trilogy ”

1. Has BJ’s career come to the point where no one comments on him dropping to 145 to fight Edgar?

or has TUF come to the point where no one comments on the coaches?

The second 1.

BJ was a two weight division champ in 55 and 70 despite the fact that, had the weight existed, he should have been featherweight his whole career.

Excited for this.

3. Adam Lorenz says:

No comment.

Just kidding. There is not a lot of men at any weight that has fought the guys that he has (let alone ones that can make fw)so it will be interesting to see how he does. There is some really interesting match ups for him because that division is getting so stacked, its too bad he never decided to compete at 145lbs years ago (or I guess it’s too bad there wasn’t 145 in the UFC years ago)as he may have run that division for a long time.

4. PUCK says:

mmm, I love BJ, he’s for sure one of the greatest fight figures ever, but I really don’t see how dropping wieght to fight a guy that beat you 2 times by “using footwork” and speed is going to help BJ? I see Edger winning another 3 or 5 round fight by doing the same thing? All BJ needs to work on is cardio and speed but will his ever catch up to Edger’s? I don’t think so? But I hope so? Thoughts? BJ’s is a great coach too (I thought) so I’m interested to see what Franky is like.

5. Donald Duck says:

I think most of Canada is still upset with BJ over the whole ‘to the death…’ crap that happened after the GSP fight.

That said BJ is an interesting guy who to be brutally honest I’d rather see as a coach than as a fighter.

Donnie

6. Josh Machan says:

Bj was painfully slow at 170, I don’t think his stand up will improve, but he will have a much bigger advantage on the ground. I don’t think that matters though because he’s always trying to out box people.

Needless to say I’ll still try out. I think this is some of the better coaching staff they have had in the last few years.

7. PUCK says:

For sure! Both coaching staffs will be great!