Canadian Rumour Mill – August 27, 2013
I’d like to start out by giving my condolences to the family of Eric Schmit. The one time Hard Knocks Fighting Championship amateur fighter passed away and my heart goes out to his family and friends.
- More and more is coming out on AFC and WSOF working together. Aggression could be announcing their WSOF deal this week. Here are some details, let’s see if they come true:
- Aggression Fighting Championship to be renamed World Series of Fighting Canada.
- Four live TV shows in Canada.
- An additional 10 taped shows.
- Chris Horodecki will sign with the new promotion and appear following his PFC fight.
- Possible WSOF vs AFC card.
- WSOF is also looking at a partner for a WSOF Brazil.
- Onetime MFC fighter Sabah Fadai is saying he will be fighting in Seattle on September 14. Add him to the list of TUF Nations tryoutees!
- Looks like Tristan Johnson is not fighting Chris Horodecki at Provincial Fighting Championship as I previously mentioned. Word on the street is that former UFCer Jason Dent will try to take out the Polish Hammer. Also, the “Haggis Basher” John Fraser will take on Andrew Cseh. Please remember, this is under the auspices of the Ontario Commission, so consider all matchups tentative until Ken Hayashi bangs his gavel on them.
- While we are talking about Mamba MMA fighters like Fadai, let’s hope the Black Mamba himself tries out for the Middleweight competition. WAR Kultar Gill!
- Add Matt MacGrath, Ryan Chiappe, Matt DesRoches, and Brandt Dewsbery’s name to the long list of Canadian boys trying out for TUF Nations!
- In Winnipeg on August 27? Check out the Joe Doerksen documentary ‘Scheduled Violence’ at Cinematheque.
- UFC Lightweight Mitch Clarke will be driving for a cure at Kamikaze Punishment’s sponsored hole for the 2013 annual MS society golf tournament on August 28. The MS Drive Fore A Cure is an unforgettable day on the golf course while raising money to support the fight against MS. The 2013 MS Drive Fore a Cure will be taking place at the Belvedere Golf & Country Club. This exclusive course will allow us to hold the best tournament possible and with your help we will be able to reach our 2013 fundraising goal of $160,000! Enter HERE.
- Congrats to Will Romero! Alin Halmagean named him Kru! Romero will teach Muay Thai at Claude Patrick‘s gym, Elite Training Centre.
- Sam Zakula and Michael Imperato are no longer affiliated with the Xtreme Couture gym in Toronto. Wagnney Fabiano takes over as BJJ coach.
- CIS wrestler, Paul Grebinski, will make his pro debut on October 4 with the MFC. Always love seeing more fighters in the shallow HW division!
- Speaking of MFC, are they screwing Smealinho Rama around? First, Rama was promised the MFC 38 main event against a highly ranked Heavyweight – Scott Barrett. Then Barrett was pulled from the fight, supposedly due to him scheduling another fight six week’s before his MFC title shot. Then Rama agrees to fight replacement Anthony Hamilton even though he was not the highly ranked opponent he was promised. Turns out Hamilton fought five weeks before his MFC title shot! Not only that, MFC took away the main event spot from Smealinho and put it to a vote. Vote for Rama!
- Nathan Gunn’s new opponent will be Gerald Meerschaert at a 180 catchweight! Aaron Berke will take on Vyron Phillips, Challenge MMA KOTN Winner Aaron Cook fights Ryan Pang and Ivan Cottrell will battle it out with David Quangvan on CFC’s September 13th show.
- Louis Fisette will be donating funds from his TUF18 viewing parties to pancreatic cancer research. Let’s see how many Winnipeggers we can get out to support a good cause! Here’s the link to the fundraising page. http://www.
pancreaticcancercanada.ca/ site/TR/Events/General?pxfid= 2130&fr_id=1060&pg=fund
- Two Maritime promoters, Ed Hoyt and Stephen Kantor, are looking to scrap after Kantor alleged Hoyt’s company embezzled thousands of dollars from a children’s charity. Now they just have to settle on who’s promotion gets the fight: Hoyt’s Atlantic Warriors card or Kantor’s Cage Rage card.
- Brent Fryia has appealed the decision of his fight with Owen Carr at the last AFC Calgary event due to low blow, but his appeal has fallen on deaf ears and has been ignored by the Calgary Commission.
- Aggression will hold a show in Alberta on November 22nd. Look for Owen Carr to appear.