Rory MacDonald Gets Ruthless at UFC 167

UFC Logo ThumbnailThe UFC has announced that Rory MacDonald will face “Ruthless” Robbie Lawler at UFC 167 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Rory MacDonald (15-1) is on a five fight win streak in the UFC since losing to Carlos Condit. Canada’s second ranked Welterweight has defeated the likes Mike Pyle, BJ Penn, and Jake Ellenberger since that loss and now he looks to make it six consecutive wins against Lawler.

Robbie Lawler (21-9) is 2-0 in the his latest run with the UFC since coming over from Strikeforce.  Lawler knocked out Josh Koscheck and then KO’d Bobby Voelker in his latest win.

This old school versus new breed matchup will take place on November 16th – an event headlined by MacDonald’s Tristar MMA teammate Georges St-Pierre who will be defending his title against Johny Hendricks.

35 Responses to “ Rory MacDonald Gets Ruthless at UFC 167 ”

1. The goods says:

Rory needs to come out guns blazing for this one, should be a fun fight

2. Bdc says:

Needs to pick him apart and take him down. Comming out guns blazin against that KO power is bad news for Rory.

Firas is training Georges to face a heavy handed southpaw in Hendricks.

Same training partners, same principals, same prep etc.

Firas and Tristar are in heavy handed southpaw mode and they’ll just plug Rory right into that program.

Good timing for this match up.

4. Gunner says:

This is a perfect match up for Rory AS LONG as he follows GSP lead and I hate to say it but for him to win he has to try to make it a long drawn out take him down and smother him fight,

If either GSP or Rory try to stand and jab there way to a victory they are risking huge as both Lawler and Hendricks only need one lunging chance.

If they fight the way the fans hate to see people fight its an easy win for them both if they try to make a bit of a show out if they will both be risking trouble.

Interesting fights but GSP and Rory dictate how much of a chance Lawler and Hendricks have in them

5. PUCK says:

Fully agree with Gunner on this one…

6. wuzjustsayin says:

I definitely was a Rory MacDonald fan up until his last fight.

Rory was the new breed of fighter. Lately he has chosen to take the GSP way and has lost at least one fan.

As “The Goods” said I hope to see the old Rory come out with the guns blazing and put on a show instead of wasting my time on another boring fight!!

7. Donald Duck says:

I like Robbie but I think his best days are behind him. I don’t mean this won’t be an easy fight for Rory though.

Robbie hasn’t looked like a monster since about ’07. Since then he’s been hot and cold. His win over Amagov (at middleweight mind you) was the last impressive win he’s had. He still has the ability to land a KO shot but Rory should be well equipped (see Birdy’s post above) to handle this.

Rory by 2nd Rnd Sub.

Donnie

8. Donald Duck says:

@wuzjustsayin – You’re the kind of fan who would have been on here bitching about how dumb Rory was for rushing in on Jake is he’d have fought that way. I’m tired of hearing people complain about how Rory fought when it was Jake who stalled and delayed the fight’s pace.

Donnie

9. laces says:

Rory is a beast.

10. wuzjustsayin says:

Sorry to disappoint you DD!

I’m glad you enjoyed that fight but unfortunately this “Fan” and apparently many others felt “That fight sucked so bad”.

DW’s quote seemed to sum up what all the fans at the event felt while watching a co-main event featuring the No.3 and No.4 ranked Welterweights in the world.

Rory is going to have to fight like he wants a title shot to regain my respect. Until he does, he’s just another number among heap of talented contenders.

I really don’t think he will be allowed the opportunity to challenge GSP while he remains at Tristar and that is truly unfortunate.

11. Kyle Stoltz says:

Donald Duck with the dumbest post in the history of posts and that’s say alot.

Robbie didn’t look like a monster knocking out Koscheck in the 1st round um okay. Didn’t look like a monster toying with Voelker, right.

Cocaine is one hell of a drug.

Yes Robbie is a client but if you think he’s not clicking on all cylinders right now with his switch to ATT and going to 170 pounds you have lost your mind. Talent has never been the issue with Robbie, it’s motivation and he’s motivated now.

Comparing GSP to Rory in preparing is tough cause there just such different fighters. Yes they are game planning for lefties so that helps but one big difference, GSP is a world class wrestler so if he gets clocked he can go for a takedown and usually get it. Rory is no where near the wrestler Robbie is so if he gets clocked it’s pray you can with stand the punishment. Should be a great fight!

12. Donald Duck says:

Dear Kyle,

I said I liked Robbie and I get that you’re his manager but let’s be really honest here for a second. Coming out and calling my post the ‘dumbest post in the history of posts’ ignores that fact that Marcus Hicks, Booby K, the guy who wanted to do the Pride rules in AB, Pat Reid and many many others have posted not just on the interwebs but on this board. You yourself have said some pretty stupid stuff in the past if we really want to get down to it. However that isn’t the reason for my rebuttal.

Ever since GSP caved in the side of his face Koschek has failed to be the threat he was before. This isn’t a critical statement but rather a factual one. He came back and KO’d Robbie’s old coach but then struggled with Pierce (someone he’d have rolled through previously) and lost a split to a guy who is not only fighting his exact game plan but is a smaller welterweight than him in Hendrix. No doubt coming off the Larkin, Kennedy and Souza losses this is why you guys jumped at the chance to fight a named opponent who, while still very dangerous, was someone Robbie has the skill set to beat.

You mention ‘motivation’ which I’m glad you did as I was hoping to not have to bring it up myself but Robbie has in the past been his own worst enemy and shown lackluster performances both in wins and loses. I’m glad to hear about the move to ATT as this will hopefully see a return to Robbie’s fundamentals (ground dominance) backed up by heavy hands. The thing is though whenever people start talking about a fighter as ‘being motivated now’ I also take that with a grain of salt.

While you are correct that GSP is the higher caliber wrestler I hope you guys aren’t sleeping on Rory’s ground game. Robbie, who I expect to be the bigger fighter, should be able to secure a take down or two but hanging out in Rory’s guard wouldn’t be a great place to spend time.

I agree this will be a good fight and a good test for Rory and perhaps I was a little overly critical but I will repeat that I see Rory subbing Robbie somewhere in the second round.

Donnie

PS – A post isn’t dumb because you don’t agree with it. It kind of makes you silly to call people dumb for this reason. Perhaps you could have said that I was being overly critical or perhaps uneducated where it comes to Robbie’s skills. Hope this helps.

13. Marv says:

Very well said Donnie, it’s like people forget that personal opinions are posted on this site

14. RickRoll says:

The problem is Rob Lawler is the better striker and wrestler. Rory is in for a beating in this fight. Horrible matchup for him.

15. Eeeesh says:

You realize that mma is still pretty bush league compared to football etc. when you have managers bitching on internet forums and picking fights lol.

16. wuzjustsayin says:

Ya, bush league, they should be spending their time bailing out their clients instead of discussing MMA!!

17. Kyle Stoltz says:

I also manage athletes in football (NFL) and some of the best. Forums crack me up.

18. Jeff Harrison says:

I agree with RickRoll but bit the tongue at the risk of seeming unpatriotic.. Lawler by vicious KO. If Rory thinks Condit hit hard…. Lawler is a beast

19. terry robertson says:

Kyle Stoltz is sooooo coool! Please tell us all about yourself!!

Who and what else do you manage? How good are you at everything? What other areas of life are you an expert at?

Is it tough going through life never being wrong and having to dismiss everyone elses thoughts and opinions as yours are the only expert ones to be considered?

20. Kyle Stoltz says:

Thanks for your opinion Terry.

The only part I took a huge issue with was DD saying Robbie’s best days are behind him as to me that is so blatantly untrue to me it’s not an opinion its more fighter bashing. Beyond beating the guys he beat it was how it was done. But your right it’s his opinion and should be able to express it and for that I aploogize.

21. BOOBOO says:

I GOT 500 ON RORY , ANY ONE WANT TO BACK IT UP , KYLE ?

22. mike kent says:

I think its the exact opposite. I don’t think lawler has ever looked better then his last two outings. Focused, powerful and mean at 170. I am a huge fan of Rorys and Robbies so its gonna be a fun one to watch. I don’t think lawler is on the decline at all though

Its a great fight.

I’m a huge Lawler fan.

But Lawler’s style will force Rory to engage and commit, and Rory will have an opportunity to put him away.

Then all the people who suddenly hated on Rory for the Ellenberger fight will suddenly gush about Rory.

And all the people who are (quite rightfully) loving Lawler’s resurgence will be chirping that he’s over the hill.

2 great fighters will put on a great fight. One will win and one will lose. Both will still be great fighters.

I guess what I’m trying to ramble about is how sad it is that fans love a guy one day and hate on him the next.

The memories are so short now. A great fighter on an exciting win streak loses in a great fight (or god forbid wins a safer decision) and the next day everyone is saying he’s done.

I’m just going to enjoy the great fight these two great athletes put on regardless of who wins.

24. Fighter says:

Well put Mr.Black
    I’m very excitied for both fights. Two hall of fame Canadian fighters on the same card in Vegas.
    I couldn’t wait to buy tickets to this one, adding Rory/Robbie was a huge bonus.
    Ten rows back from the cage baby.
    Freakin thrilled.

25. eeeesh says:

my memory isn’t short… I’ll always remember that kyle stoltz can simultaneously be the best manager in pro sports AND an internet douche!

26. Kyle Stoltz says:

Thanks eeeesh!

27. BOOBOO says:

HEY KYLE , SINCE YOU HAVE THAT MUCH CONFIDENCE IN YOUR FIGHTER LETS PUT A FRIENDLY WAGER ON THIS FIGHT , WHAT EVER YOU WANT YOU NAME YOUR PRICE OR STIPULATION , CAUSE RORY IS GONNA PUT EVRYTHING INTO THIS FIGHT . BALLS OUT ,YOU ARE GONNA SEE A VERY DIFFERANT FIGHTER AGAINST LAWLER.

DONT WORRY MY MONEY IS GREENER THEN THE SMOKE IM TOKEN ON RIGHT NOW AND I LIVE THE SMOKE GROWERS CAPITAL OF THE FUCKING WORLD .

28. Do you live in Afghanistan, Mexico or Paraguay?

29. BOOBOO says:

TAHOE FOR YOUR INFO , 30 MIN FROM THE POT FARM CAPITAL TRI COUNTIES , I CAN SMELL THAT SHIT 24 – 7 !!! MEXICO HAHAHA THERE SHIT IS GARBAGE !!

30. Kyle Stoltz says:

@booboo, I don’t gamble and if I did I wouldn’t bet on clients in any capacity.

31. PUCK says:

Some good points, I think it comes down to power vs pace/volume. I see Robbie having the power edge but Rory has a great jab/cardio and pace. If it hits the ground while Robbie is very savy he’s been subbed before and has been caught before over commiting to G and P. I think it can go either way…Robbie by 2nd round KO or Rory by sub. I think if it goes all 3 Rory will win with the Volume he will put togethor. I don’t see Robbie pulling off a win over 3 rounds unless he “clips” Rory early. Just my thoughts?

32. BOOBOO says:

@KYLE – FAIR ENOUGH DIDNT MEAN ANY DISRESPECT AND SHOULD OF KNOWN ,YOUR ONE OF THE BEST AT WHAT YOU DO AND APPOLOGISE FOR JUST TRYING TO MAKE SOME FUN OUT OF ALL THIS , THE FUN WILL BE THE NIGHT THESE 2 GUYS GO AT IT !

33. Kyle Stoltz says:

No worried BooBoo. Should be a great fight!

34. Idolmaker says:

Some shit never changes!!!

35. BOOBOO says: