Canadian Rumour Mill – July 30, 2013

Gossip Queen

photo: Rob Trudeau

Let’s start this week off with a positive story, while Ontario commission is seemingly trying to hinder the growth of the sport. Manitoba is trying their best to grow the sport.  They are dropping their gate fee for the rest of 2013 to $150 for small and medium-sized cards.

• Shout out to my big homies at Sherbatov MMA! Boris and Yoni Sherbatov just made their third move into bigger facilities as they continue to grow. This times it’s a 12,000 square foot facility in Laval, Quebec. Oh yeah….fans should expect to see Yoni’s name in our Flyweight rankings some day. He debuts at LAMMQ in October. Check out their cool website: http://www.sherbatovmma.com/
  • Add another name to the Provincial Fighting Championship card: the unbeaten, not known as Last Rites, Chad Laprise.
  • Despite being cut up by Cody “Gengis” Krahn in his last victory, Clay Davidson‘s suspension will be up August 4th and he will be ready to take on Kalib Starnes!  By the way, could Starnes become the first Canadian fighter ranked in three divisions with this win at 205?  He is always ranked in 185 and just beat Tim Hague!

• Typhoon season has been postponed. With Paul Cheng’s One FC fight in September falling through, “The Typhoon” has made landfall and been forced to take a break and get non-MMA life back on track.
  • Aggression Fighting Championship has applied for a promoter’s license in La Belle Province.  Look for a Montreal card once AFC nails down a Vancouver card.
  • Guillaume De Lorenzi is a free agent again and able to fight for any promotion! Il Toro asked for his release from Bellator, which was granted, and will hopefully pack in the fights like he did in ’08-09.
  • Former TKO and Instinct MMA grand fromage Stephane Patry will slide into the commentator booth starting in August for French RDS Bellator broadcasts!
  • Shame, shame, double shame on Moncton and Edmonton Commissions for allowing suspended boxers to fight over the past year. In documents released by the ABC prior to their annual conference (see HERE), the ABC pointed out that Edmonton allowed two boxers to fight while suspended, while Moncton allowed one to fight while suspended. There is no reason that this number should not be zero for the next 12 months, especially with Edmonton boasting about their credentials and staff.
  • Unfied Rules Modification?  Some bigwig commission executive directors, Keith Kizer, Nick Lembo, Bernie Profato, have made a proposed rule change that the ABC will discuss this week at their annual conference.   They want to disallow a standing fighter from places a hand or finger on the ground just to make themselves grounded to avoid knee strikes and draw a foul.  In this situation, the ref could consider them standing even with a hand down, which would make knees legal in that situation.  A point could also be taken away, at the referee’s discretion, for timidity.
  • The ABC  will also be discussing transgendered fighters and medical marijuana among other things at this year’s conference.

40 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – July 30, 2013 ”

1. BOOBOO says:

THANKYOU !!!

BUT I HAVE TO SAY I AM A VERY BIG SUPPORTER OF THE MEDICAL MARYJANE !!!!

2. Gossip Queen says:

Maybe you can start fighting now Booboo.

3. K Rasmus says:

Are they going to commission a transgender league ? Seriously what is their to discuss !

4. Gossip Queen says:

Can women who were once men fight women? Can men who were once women fight men? Are the drugs they need to become the other sex performance enhancing?
    eg. men who were once women require TRT. Should they be suspended for fighting while using TRT.

Lots to talk about!

5. mark says:

Transgender should only fight transgender of the same sex. That’s the only way it will be fair. Imo they are gross and should Have their own divisions and leagues which nobody would watch. Pretty weird topic but these people who feel they have to change what they were born into, is taking it a bit too far.

If you were born with green skin or something different that you knew without a doubt was a genetic mistake for you, I’m pretty sure we’d all support your surgery to make yourself the way you are certain you were meant to be.

It’s 2013 in Canada man, we’ve all kind of started to become more accepting and understanding of people.

When it comes to fighting, people with any hormonal and physical variances, including of course people that have undergone gender reassignment, need to face stringent tests to make sure the playing field is fair.

We need to use medical science to make a decision on transgender athletes’ participation, not bigotry or religion or knee-jerk reactions.

Like I said, it’s Canada in 2013. Go smoke some weed and chill, eh?

7. PUCK says:

So if these commisions are not doing there job (protecting fighters) and letting suspended fighters fight, what kind of backlash is had? They are still holding fights regaurdless? I don’t understand how they can get mad at a guy for shooting someone……but don’t take away his gun? Thoughts? I think these commisions should be shut down and reveiwed….By who though?…… ABC? It is a tough situation?

8. GNP says:

The Ontario commissioner is simply not pro mma , from the ridiculous high cost of putting on events , to the cancelling of specific fights on cards…. This shit has been going on for as long as I can remember and still nothing changes…. It’s such a shame Ontario has great clubs , great fighters that simply are not afforded the opportunity to grow , due to the fact it is so difficult to put on a show….

9. Donald Duck says:

@ PUCK – ABC has no enforcement power in Canada. They can threaten to revoke a membership but it isn’t a requirement or heavily weighted component to legitimacy of a commission like it is in the states.

Donnie

10. mark says:

Yay 2013 smoke some weed . I know I know, robin. It’s just my opinion. No bigotry , religion, or knee jerking reaction. It’s just how I feel. I accept people for who they are. I don’t necessarily have to understand them all but I accept them.
    I just can’t help but think getting a sex change is gross. My bad. I don’t understand it and may think its a little gross bit (so is obesity lol). Still, I accept and respect them as humans and would not treat them any different outside of competing in a combat sport.
    There’s a difference in being born with a genetic abnormality (or green skin lol) and wanting to change that,than being born a man and wanting to physically change into a woman and then get paid to beat the shit out of them.

We definitely should let both common sense and science decide the answer on that.
    Hopefully they side with me

11. mark says:

Here’s one for you. a 16 year old amateur kickboxer (4-0), also a practitioner of BJJ and wrestling throughout his childhood and teens, makes his amateur MMA debut. Goes on to win 4 straight fights . At 18 year old goes pro and wins 3 bouts in a row. Wakes up one day and says fuck it, I can’t take it anymore. Deep down I’m not a man I’m a woman trapped in a man’s body. This was a genetic mistake and I need a gender reassignment . Take the next 6 year’s to through with th changeover. Is now a woman and wants to fight other woman.
    Better yet, Dominick Cruz been out for 2 years. Secretly he realized he was a genetic mistake and is gone getting his reassignment. . comes back in 3 years as Dominique Cruz and wants to fight Rhonda for the belt?? LOL this is what it could lead to hahah

Man that is a great post mark.

I think honesty is a really rare thing and “I think obesity is gross man- that’s my opinion” is about as honest as you can get and makes your point really well.

I have gotten to know a few trans people over my years in music and the fashion business and am good friends with a competitive jiu-jitsu chick who was born a dude. I can tell ya that they all feel exactly like they were born with fucked up genes and need surgery to make them right, exactly as if they had been born green.

But dude I really dig yer honest post. Its made me think a bit about people’s perfectly reasonable opinions.

Cheers.

And I agree with your points. That’s why we need science to see if those examples are unfair.

PS Dominick Cruz would make a, uh, handsome woman.

14. mark says:

Lol. Thanks for the response . Cheers buddy!!

15. BOOBOO says:

IF YOU WERE BORN WITH A DICK THEN YOU FIGHT A MAN , IF YOUR BORN WITH A CLAM CHOP THEN YOU FIGHT A WOMEN PLAIN AND SIMPLE . THIS TRANSWHATEVERTHEFUKUCALL IT BULLSHIT IS HORSESHIT !

16. GNP says:

BOOBOO as always your politically correct

17. alandale says:

Pat Reid letting a suspended fighter or two fight? Who saw that coming? What a complete joke this guy is. Only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt under his white cane watch

18. alandale says:

Puck, complain to the City. Start at the top and see if sh*t flows downhill. Complaining to Reid’s hand picked commission is useless

19. N.P.H says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 4 Thumb down 14

20. AMLEHTC says:

Technically what he said is neither homophobic or racist. Transphobic maybe, but deep down I agree with his overall message until medical science proves that transgenders do not have an advantage they should either fight other transgenders or not fight

21. GNP says:

this is an open forum , every body is fair game….the beauty about this site is , if you don’t like what your reading or what is being posted ……simply don’t log on!!!Hope I didn’t offend anyone

22. BOOBOO says:

RACIST AND HOMOPHOBIC , BECAUSE I BELIEVE IF A DUDE LOPPES OFF HIS JUNK AND DECIDED HES A CHICK . SNORT HGH AND JUMP IN THE CAGE AND BEAT UP ON WOMEN IS HORSESHIT AND FUCKED UP . A DUDES A DUDE AND A CHICKS A CHICK , BORN THAT WAY , NEEDS TO FIGHT THAT WAY . YOU DONT SEE CHICKS IN MMA WHO GROWS THEIR JUNK AND FIGHTS DUDES ?I HOPE THAT WAS HATEFUL ENOUGH FOR YOU , ITS AN OPEN FORUM AND I CAN GIVE A FUCK WHAT YOU THINK !

23. BOOBOO says:

MABE I SHOULD HAVE CANDY COATED IT FOR YOU , BUT THATS NOT MY STYLE !

24. mark says:

BOOBOO= da man

25. N.P.H says:

I didn’t expect changes anyway. Grenkie and the other mods only make and enforce certain rules when it benefits their agenda or to cover their bias. It is their responsibility, regardless of personal opinions
    I agree, this thread is trying to express opinions of transgendered fighters. Unfortunately, certain comments are discriminating the LGBT community and people new to be much more sensitive with their language, as the rules state. If everyone posted their true feelings, this place would turn very ugly and disgusting.
    The argument against transgendered individuals fighting is difficult to support, when you are trying to refute medical and scientific evidence. So far, Falen Fox has only fought low level opponents. If she were to fight legit competitors and gets beat up, many might not feel so strongly that transgendered have a definitive advantage over those born female. But reality is, all the best female fighters have already been taking PED’s for a long time and their physical traits and abilities would be considered very masculine

26. AMLEHTC says:

No one is attacking the LGBT community. There’s no science proving advantages or disadvantages for transgenders doing mma, or high level athletics. Stop making this a personal issue for no reason, the science isn’t there, so until then they should only fight transgenders.

27. Donald Duck says:

Ah the wonder of the interwebs. Whine away when someone says something you deem offensive but yet level charges of PED use across the board and this is okay.

NPH you need look no further than your own bias riddled post to see that the very thing you bemoan is what allows for you to voice your opinion.

I’ve always stood by the rule that if I wouldn’t say it to someone’s face then I won’t say it from behind my online persona.

Donnie

28. Darren Owen says:

NPH
    “But reality is, all the best female fighters have already been taking PED’s for a long time and their physical traits and abilities would be considered very masculine”
    This statement is ridiculous generalization.

29. Woodrow says:

Cant believe this is whats filling the news boards the last few days!!!!

Challenge MMA aug 17 wow some awesome fights, same with sept 6 Havoc FC in Alberta!!!! Who are people picks on those fights?

http://Www.profc.ca Oct 26 in London as well!!!

30. N.P.H says:

Racists and those who are homophobic always believe there way of thinking is correct Donnie. That white hood hides your face too. I’m supporting equality, acceptance and free will. You continue spreading hate and discrimination. I wouldn’t want to know a person with such hatred anyway

If you actually believed that Darren, you would be drug testing every athlete in your organization, but you won’t because you want the best conditioned athletes no matter what the case…or is someone as experienced in mma this ignorant. Stick with the ‘I didn’t see anything’ or ‘don’t ask don’t tell’ logic

31. Donald Duck says:

Alright look Mr. Prissy Pants, if you’re going to lecture people than at least have the decency to use the language correctly. I’m simply not prepared to put any effort into decoding your bullshit when you can’t even bother to use “there, their and they’re” correctly inside a post.

Whatever demons you’re (not proper use of the contraction) struggling with I’d suggest that an MMA board is probably the wrong place to share them.

Donnie

32. N.P.H says:

At least you’re taking the first step by admitting you are wrong. It is surprising that a professor and doctor as yourself could be so misguided. So attempt to avoid the facts and truth by yet again attacking a person on matters that are so irrelevant to you, so you say. It’s your choice when you want to admit anything else to yourself. Hold your head up and have some pride

33. BOOBOO says:

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU GET RACIST AND HOMOPHOBIC OUT OF ANY IF THIS ? I DONT GIVE A FLYING FUCK WHAT ANYONE ELSE DOES OR IS ! I JUST FEEL THAT A DUDE WHO TURNS HIMSELF INTO A CHICK IN ANY WAY IS A FUCKIN WOMEN BEATER . MEN DONT HIT WOMEN , PLAIN AND SIMPLE AND JUST CAUSE SURGERY AND DRUGS CAN MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A CHICK , YOU ARE STILL A DUDE BEATING UP WOMEN AND THAT IS THE SHIT THAT IS FUCKED UP !

34. Donald Duck says:

NPH – man whatever you are smoking you need to cut back on.

Donnie

35. Cody Krahn says:

You could also look at the debate the other way around. Would any fighter on here fight a transgender born a woman who had surgery to become a man?

I wouldn’t. I remember when I was at The Body Worlds exhibit a couple months ago and I read a factoid on the wall that said something like a man’s average body mass was 40% muscle and a woman’s was closer to 25%. How is that a fair playing field?

Plus there’s the can of worms with that same transgender fighter would also have to take TRT to have the proper testosterone levels of a man. And of course could abuse that much like it has been by fighters in the UFC.

It’s horrible to tell someone they can’t follow their dreams because of who they are. But in my opinion it’s not morally right for someone who has that much of an unfair physical advantage to fight.

But hey seems like there’s plenty of women up to the challenge of being the first to beat Fallon Fox.

36. Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 3 Thumb down 19

37. Cody Krahn says:

Y’know BigPoppa, I like you better when you use GI Jane as your online name.

38. BOOBOO says:

DRINKING SOME COFFEE AND SMOKED SOME CUSH THIS MORNING , WTF IS THE RUMOR MILL AGAIN , WELL I QUESS 2 OUT OF 3 AINT BAD BUT MAN I REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO THE BLOG EVERY WEEK , MABE GOSSIP QUEEN IS GETTING INTO BOOBOO S STASH CAUSE ITS TUESDAY AND I NEED MY FIX PLEASE !!

39. Big johnson says:

@ bigpoppagroove
    i guarantee when ufc comes to edmonton cody krahn will be on it!! Funny as I look out my window i notice pigs are flying. lol

40. The issue of when an AC should intervene to prohibit a contest due to medical issues is a tricky one. Here is an equally charged debate with the Florida AC stepping in to stop a fight between two contestants, one with Down’s Syndrome, another with Cerebral Palsy.

Combat sports, at their core, deal with informed consent of participants. When allegations arise that there are medical advantages/disadvantages between combatants such that the state should intervene these need to be taken seriously. At the end of the day these issues need to be resolved with sound science, not gut reactions one way or the other.