Canadian Rumour Mill – July 30, 2013
Let’s start this week off with a positive story, while Ontario commission is seemingly trying to hinder the growth of the sport. Manitoba is trying their best to grow the sport. They are dropping their gate fee for the rest of 2013 to $150 for small and medium-sized cards.
- Check out Fund a Fighter and give your support to these Canadian boys!
- Shout out to my big homies at Sherbatov MMA! Boris and Yoni Sherbatov just made their third move into bigger facilities as they continue to grow. This times it’s a 12,000 square foot facility in Laval, Quebec. Oh yeah….fans should expect to see Yoni’s name in our Flyweight rankings some day. He debuts at LAMMQ in October. Check out their cool website: http://www.sherbatovmma.com/
- Add another name to the Provincial Fighting Championship card: the unbeaten, not known as Last Rites, Chad Laprise.
- Despite being cut up by Cody “Gengis” Krahn in his last victory, Clay Davidson‘s suspension will be up August 4th and he will be ready to take on Kalib Starnes! By the way, could Starnes become the first Canadian fighter ranked in three divisions with this win at 205? He is always ranked in 185 and just beat Tim Hague!
- Charmaine Tweet will make her Invicta debut in October at Invicta FC 7!
- Typhoon season has been postponed. With Paul Cheng’s One FC fight in September falling through, “The Typhoon” has made landfall and been forced to take a break and get non-MMA life back on track.
- Aggression Fighting Championship has applied for a promoter’s license in La Belle Province. Look for a Montreal card once AFC nails down a Vancouver card.
- Guillaume De Lorenzi is a free agent again and able to fight for any promotion! Il Toro asked for his release from Bellator, which was granted, and will hopefully pack in the fights like he did in ’08-09.
- Former TKO and Instinct MMA grand fromage Stephane Patry will slide into the commentator booth starting in August for French RDS Bellator broadcasts!
- Atlantic Warriors will have their second Moncton show on October 5. This time they will add a couple of pro fights to their card. Brian Mazerolle takes on Shawn Levesque and Dave Simms will face Matt Heim
- Shame, shame, double shame on Moncton and Edmonton Commissions for allowing suspended boxers to fight over the past year. In documents released by the ABC prior to their annual conference (see HERE), the ABC pointed out that Edmonton allowed two boxers to fight while suspended, while Moncton allowed one to fight while suspended. There is no reason that this number should not be zero for the next 12 months, especially with Edmonton boasting about their credentials and staff.
- Unfied Rules Modification? Some bigwig commission executive directors, Keith Kizer, Nick Lembo, Bernie Profato, have made a proposed rule change that the ABC will discuss this week at their annual conference. They want to disallow a standing fighter from places a hand or finger on the ground just to make themselves grounded to avoid knee strikes and draw a foul. In this situation, the ref could consider them standing even with a hand down, which would make knees legal in that situation. A point could also be taken away, at the referee’s discretion, for timidity.
- The ABC will also be discussing transgendered fighters and medical marijuana among other things at this year’s conference.