AFC 20: Stampede – Play By Play

Aggression Fighting Championship is in Calgary, Alberta this weekend for their 20th show. The show is held on StaAFC-THUMBmpede week and is sure to attract a crowd. If you are in Calgary, why not pick up a pair of tickets HERE. If not, you can always watch it live on their Internet PPV. Cody Bargholz is cage side bringing us the round by round action.

Knockout of the night: Trent House

Submission of the night: Noah Ali

Fight of the night: Owen Carr versus Brent Fryia

Mike O’Neill vs. Noah Ali
Round 1: Mike charges right in for a takedown but Noah locks in a guillotine and pulls guard. The guillotine looks tight but Mike doesn’t look like he is in trouble at all and Noah eventually give the choke up. Noah gets back up but Mike picks up and slams him down. Immediately after landing Noah locks in another guillotine choke and taps Mike out. Great finish!
Noah Ali submits Mike O’Neill by Guillotine Choke in Round 1, 1:45

Trent House vs. Brandon Shorter
Round 1: Trent is pumping out his jab and keeping Brandon at bay with it. Trent lands a nice uppercut and has yet to take any damage. Brandon lands a nice left hook but Trent’s work rate is just way higher.  I don’t know if he can keep this pace up or not. Both fighters are exchanging punches and leg kicks now in the second half of the round but Trent’s jab is still throwing off Brandon’s timing. Brendon lands a nice left hook, but Trent doesn’t seems to be phased at all. Trent’s pace definitely slowed up a bit  but he clearly won the round. Topmmanews scores the round 10-9 Trent House.

Round 2: Both fighters exchange leg kicks. Trent and Brandon land simultaneous jabs but then Trent follows up with a crushing right straight that drops Brandon. Trent pounces on Brandon and finishes the fight with a series of unanswered blows and referee Brian Beauchamp stops the fight.
Trent House defeats Brandon Shorter by TKO in Round 1, 0:36

Owen Carr vs. Brent Fryia

Round 1: Owen lands a nice left hook to the body and follows it up with a cracking right hook to Brent’s head then takes Brent down. Brent gets up quickly though and takes Owen down but then Owen sweeps Brent and stands up. Owen lands a nice high kick then shoots for a takedown. Brent defends the takedown and winds up in top position. Brent almost passes to half mount but then chooses to stand up. Brent drops Owen with a strike and jumps on top of him working for an arm bar. Owen escapes the arm bar attempt and winds up in top position inside Brent’s guard. Owen attempts a guillotine though but Brent escapes and takes top position. Brent circles to North South and locks up a D’arce choke but can’t roll Owen to finish the submission. Owen escapes just before the rounds ends. This was a close round! Topmmanews scores the round 10-9 Owen Carr

Round 2:  Owen lands a nice body kick then a hard kick that lands flush to Brent’s face. Owen takes down Brent and moves to half mount. From top position Owen is dropping a lot of elbows to Brent’s body. Brent recovers guard but Owen stacks him and lands a great right hand to Brent’s face. Owen passes to mount but Brent quickly recovers half guard.  Owen decides to get back up and lands a crushing knee to Brent’s body that clearly hurts him. Brent bends over and Owen grabs his neck and attempts a standing guillotine choke.  Brent drops down and Owen taps him with a front choke.

This was a great fight!
Owen Carr submits Brent Fryia by Front Choke in Round 2, 4:40

Matt Spisak vs. Matt Krayco
Round 1: Krayko lands a nice right hook that got Spisak’s attention.  Spisak looks a little hesitant after that hook and chooses to clinch up with Krayco. Spisak locks in a guillotine and Krayco walks up the cage and flips over Spisak to escape. Incredible! Krayco tries to lock in a guillotine of his own but Spisak escapes and then scores a takedown. When Krayco tries to walk up the cage Spisak almost takes Krayco’s back but Krayco escapes. Spisac is working hard for a takedown with Krayco’s back against the cage but Krayco is defending well. Eventually Spisak takes Krayco’s back with an arm under Krayco’s chin. Krayco tries to escape but Spisak eventually get both hooks in and forces the tap.

This was a fun fight. I thought Krayco had the advantage when they were striking but Spisak completly controlled Krayco with his superior grappling.
Matt Spisak submits Matt Krayco by Rear Naked Choke in Round 1, 3:35

Marcus Vinicious vs. Dia Grant
Round 1: Marcus is baiting Dia while showcasing his movement. When Dia charges in Marcus drops him but then lets him back up. Marcus is really controlling the distance with his movement. Dia shoots in for a single let and locks a leg up but Marcus escapes though and punishes Dia with some hard right hands from top position before letting him back up. Marcus is clearly toying with Dia. After letting him up Marcus lands a spinning hook kick that causes the crowd to erupt and stuns Dia. Dia shoots for a double leg but Marcus defends and winds up in mount. Dia rolls to his stomach and Marcus finishes him off with a rear naked choke.

Marcus is clearly an exceptional talent! I want to see him fight tougher competition for sure.
Marcus Vinicious submits Dia Grant by Rear Naked Choke in Round 1, 2:55

Corey Houston vs. Nathan Wilkins
Round 1: Nathan is throwing some kicks but Corey is easily avoiding them. Corey moves in with a left hook that lands and the fighters clinch up against the cage. Not a lot is happening so the referee breaks the fighters up.  Corey rushes in again but this time Nathan counters with a double leg takedown. Corey quickly throws his hips up for a triangle attempt and traps Nathan with it. After a quick adjustment Corey locks it up and forces Nathan to tap.
Corey Houston submits Nathan Wilkins by Triangle Choke in Round 1, 2:30

Zach Manywounds vs. Dusty Kramps
Round 1:  Zach opens up the action in the first round with a nice side kick that catches Dusty off guard and causes him to fall backwards. Dusty responds with a cracking side kick. Zach gets hit with a low blow that seriously drops him. The doctor is brought in and I overhear Zach claiming, “It feels like my balls are in my stomach.” Zach does not look good. The doctor told referee Adam Cheadle that there is clearly some trauma here and he stops the fight on the doctor’s recommendation.
The fight is ruled a No Contest by Doctor Stoppage due to an Unintentional Foul

Jared Silverthorn vs. Will Monzon
Round 1: Jared lands a nice high kick but Will responds with a great combination that drops Jared. Jared gets up and goes back on the offensive but Will hands are too much for Jared. Will is landing a lot of great punches and Jared is clearly out on his feet when referee Brian Beauchamp stops the fight.

Will showed off some serious power and speed in his hands. Really exciting fight to watch.
Will Monzon defeats Jared Silverthorn by TKO in Round 1, 0:45

69 Responses to “ AFC 20: Stampede – Play By Play ”

Ypma vs. Bentley PBP?

Great stream tonight so far!

3. Don Wilson says:

Ya the quality of the stream has been great.

If it weren’t for Carr’s previous dirty tactics he’d be moving to 6-2 tonight… impressive win by Carr tonight!

5. benji says:

It was a big slap in the face to carr to have that whinny bitch oniell fight in the main event after the 3 rnd beating carr put on him the fight before. Oniell couldnt even make weight and had his ass handed to him quick… carr and fryia should have been the main event hands done both fighters put on a hell of a show congrats to carr for the win hes looked better than ever tonight

6. James says:

Isn’t Beauchamp Ontario based?

Who’s picking up his bill when he comes out west to ref?

7. GO says:

Congrats to Carr on living up to his reoutation of being a sketchy fighter. Keep low blowing guys and breaking rules Owen. Keep it up and soon no one will take a fight with you.
    Its a shame because you have talient for this but you clearly panic in fights and do wrong shit in your fights. Clean your self up.

8. Adam Bodwell says:

O’Neil is a goof, Main event how does that guy get a fight like that Noah deserves it put not Mike the cavemanpussy

Some incredibly talented young guys. An honor to call their fights.

10. Shoot says:

That knee to Brents body that hurt him was definitely a big knee in the balls.

11. wow says:

Shocking! Another pair of balls crushed by Owen

12. Darren Owen says:

Both Robin and Dean watched the replay and in both of their opinions it was not an illegal strike and hit him in the hip. I personally didn’t have a good angle to comment but I think the fact that it is Owen and his past anything close he’s not getting the benefit of the doubt.

13. wow says:

Of course Owens manager would say it wasn’t an illegal strike

14. James says:

From where I was it looked like a low blow. It even looked like the ref saw it but then didn’t act on it.

15. G.O says:

HAHAHAHA Bodwell calling out O’Neill thats cute. Adam go play with your barbies or make your work out videos.

16. wow says:

Best case scenario, Owen was aiming for Brents nuts and hit him in the hip. Owen isn’t known for missing low blows so it probably landed.

Why do deans fighters always fight each other?

I never heard of it as a potential low blow till after but when I was watching the replay at the time without any mention of a low blow I saw it as hip.

But Brent is as straight a shooter as they come (for a romo) so if he says low blow I’m gonna watch it again later.

At the time I saw hip and never thought anything of it but Brent is honest as a judge so I’ll look again later.

Really good fight both guys looked great. Top shelf fight.

18. allen hope says:

@carr i like your style buddy keep doing what your doing

19. Mike kent says:

We all fight each other for deans sick personal enjoyment ! He get off on it !

20. Carr says:

Thanks Cody. Should actually be 7-2. I beat Pierre Dumont Dec 15, 2007 at XCW Saskatoon Round 1 TKO.
    And obviously the Feeney fight and Oneill fight should be W.
    I don’t normally pay attenti to these posts but clearly their are some Carr haters out there. Thankyou guys for keeping me motivated to keep doing what I’m doing- work hard, train hard and fight harder. Brent said I’m Just and intents competitor. Was nice to sit down after fight and chat with him. Very nice guy.
    Yes my paper record is fucked but thats ok cause I’m not going anywhere too soon and I plan on keep winning, I’m just a baby in the sport.
    Appreciate the credit Cody

21. Brent Fryia says:

Yes, I did get hit with a low blow right before the choke. The, umm, physical evidence is hard to deny. I don’t think Carr did that on purpose, but it definitely happened. Interested to see the angle on the tape. Talking to people that were there, lots of people saw it very clearly and some people didn’t see it at all, depending on where they were sitting.

22. wow says:

Congrats on another solid low blow Owen!

23. Carr says:

Why didn’t you bring this up right after the fight Brent? U didn’t say anything to me the whole night about a low blow and I believe we sat and chatted for atleast a hr.

24. Carr says:

I don’t really remember what happened in the fight. Just waiting for the dvd so i can actually watch it myself cause id like to correct my mistakes for next fight. Obviously didn’t mean to hit you balls man, the theme for that night was hurt the body hence me attacking it the whole fight.

25. TheGuvna says:

Just a funny side note, I always found it funny how back in the day when low blows were legal, guys would get hit with them and barely flinch, when they became illegal it seems everyones nuts became more sensitive.

Anyway thats an unrelated side note… If there was a low blow:

1) i doubt it was intentional, thatd be a very risky move

2) isnt that the refs job to police these things anyway?

Great fight by both guys, no doubt.

26. Chase says:

Obviously it wasn’t intentional. From what happenes after Owens last fight, do you really believe he would go out of his way to intentionally foul his opponent knowing full well te commission would be watching this fight closely. Why hasn’t anyone mentioned the fight that ended by low blow that was a terrible one.

27. Jim l says:

Dean Panas is a horrible ring announcer and even worst at calling fights afc needs to get rid of him .

28. Jake says:

Jim l I disagree. PANAS is a awesome at what he does. That sounds like a personal shot towards him. PANAS is much better than he gets credit for and does a much better job than others AFC has had in the past.

29. LOL says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 5 Thumb down 15

30. Bdc says:

Panas does a good job as an annoncer but just dosent have the right “voice” for the job.

31. mike kent says:

my cat once got stuck up. No dean didn’t get it down but he did do the play by play while the firemen did their thing. Ever since that day its hard to find fault in anything dean does.

32. mike kent says:

stuck up in a tree **** hes not stuck up actually fairly well adjusted

33. snyper mcgrath says:

Supporting Panas as the ring announcer. Always enjoy him on the mike.

34. Dean Panas says:

Thank you very much to those who have shown me support!! It is greatly appreciated.

AFC has hired Don Andrews as their new ring announcer. If you saw either AFC 19 or AFC 20 you saw the man in action. I feel he is awesome and AFC definitely hired the right guy.

I have been lucky enough to do play by play for AFC 7 times (a few of those being Aggression) and its a job I thoroughly enjoy. I feel I am getting better with every show. Working with Robin Black is something I have wanted to do for a while and something I pushed for. I feel Robin is the best in Canada BY FAR and is one of the best anywhere. It was an honor to work with him for the last two shows. I hope we get to do it on a regular basis.

I love criticism and I am always looking for advice. Please feel free to tell me how you think I can improve. If you need to contact me my email is dpanas@telus.net

For those of you posting under fake names and using names I’ve never seen on here, thanks for the trash talking and trolling. I will take those comments as compliments! I feel being the play by play man for AFC is the best job in Canadian MMA!! It’s a job I have enjoyed doing and a job I know many people want!

35. AMLEHTC says:

More than anything during the AFC 19 stream I was unimpressed with Robin Black. He seemed flat and the chemistry was a bit off as well in my opinion. It seemed like both Dean and Robin were both playing the same part of the broadcast team, both guys being Mike Goldberg so to speak. Only constructive criticism Dean, when you get excited you tell and it caused my speakers to crackle due to how loud you got sometimes. Just my opinion

36. Marcus Ossoduro Vinicius says:

They spelled my name wrong its Vinicius.

Weird, I got a lot of positive feedback on AFC 19, especially from the fighters.

I came prepared with solid research done and went at it with enthusiasm and gave it my very best.

It’s valuable to get feedback, good and bad.

Sorry if it didn’t do it for ya DYSLEXIC, I gave it my best and tried to analyze and present the action to the best of my ability. I take a lot of pride in this job and I always always come prepared give it my all.

Thanks Deano for the kind words its a pleasure to work with you brother.

Vinicios is an animal it was super fun to call your fight sir.

39. AMLEHTC says:

I just felt you lost your pep, your pizazz so to speak

40. Lol says:

Dean has about as much personality as Larry Merchant has when he’s calling a fight on HBO .

41. Mike kent says:

Earlier LOL was found to be BTP ?

42. Lol says:

Earlier mike kent was found to be Allen hope ?

43. mike kent says:

I wish ! it was just a question Shane. No need to get offended

44. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Lol…different lol mike…and honestly… He does work with me…cheers…and I like keep Dean!

45. Shane BTP Mountney says:

I give him and there is one more of Craig’s friends on here…shit all the he time for stirring the pot!

46. BOOBOO says:

WHY GIVE THEM SHIT WHEN YOU ALWAYS STIR THE POT . DONT YOU THINK ? THATS WHATS MADE YOU FAMOUS ON HERE SO DONT BLAME ANYONE ELSE BUT THE FAMOUS BTP ! FUCKIT I LOVE THE SHIT YOUR STIRRING , MAKES THIS SHIT A LITTLE MORE INTERESTING .

47. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Lol BooBoo been to long….but I give them shit..because I’m the one who always gets blamed…ah well life goes on…cheers..;)

48. Jerobe says:

When is Owen Carr ever going to have a fight without an illigal strike controversy? His last 5 fights have all been marred with some sort of illigal strike controversy. Intentional or not.

49. Backhand Slap says:

So sad btp can’t even think of a good bs excuse. Now I see where wardog gets his ideas from. Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels have got nothing on you two

50. Wardog says:

you’ve totally redeemed yourself Backstab cant even use you’re real name.you’re a coward.you would definitely get backhand slaped if you would come out from under your moms dress.Ha Ha.