Canadian Rumour Mill – July 8, 2013
Wow. Still in shock from Saturday’s crowning of Chris Weidman as UFC Middleweight champion. Anderson Silva told Showdown Joe days before the fight that the best outcome for Saturday would be Weidman’s hand raised as champion and then it happens. Spiders are strange creatures!
- It looks like Allen Hope has stepped in to replace the injured Mike Kent and will take on Joe Doerksen at CFC 8 on September 13th in what may be Joe Doerksen’s retirement fight.
- Congrats to Rémy Bussieres, who debuts for Bellator on October 4.
- I’m hearing that Roger Hollett is looking dropping down to 185 and challenging Elias Theodorou for his ECC Middleweight title.
- Unified MMA 17 will feature a battle between two of western Canada’s hottest WW prospects with Rocky Biggs (5-0) takes on Mark Drummond (4-1).
- Typhoon season will officially start in Jakarta, Indonesia on September 13th when Paul Cheng makes his OneFC debut!
- Why can’t we be friends… Jason Saggo corners Jesse Ronson for his win over Shane Campbell and now is most likely going to be “The Body Snatcher’s” first AFC LW title defense. Gotta love friends punching each other in the face for gold!
- Marcus Vinicios is out as the opponent for David “The Crow” Loiseau at AFC 20 in Calgary on July 12th. However, Vinicios will fight Dia Grant on the card. The Crow is seemingly now left with no opponent five days out.
- Tim Chemelli and Dwayne Lewis are looking at rematching one another for their next AFC bout. This will partially depend on the status of Lewis’ leg/hamstring injury.
- There are currently no scheduled Bellator dates set for Canada.
- All ammy fights have been cancelled for Xcessive Fighting Championship on September 3rd due to Bill S-209. Jarod Milko if off the card now as well.
- Marc-Andre Drolet will serve as matchmaker for Rumble on the Rez 3 which takes place on August 31st. He will also serve as consultant to the OCN Blizzard hockey team which is putting on the event in The Pas.
- Congratulations to Andrew McInnes who just earned his BJJ Black Belt. Also hearing that he may take on Mike Scarcello at Unified MMA 17.
- Haven’t heard much from Jesse Bongfeldt recently, but just a quick tidbit here. Have you realized that Jesse’s only UFC loss is to current UFC MW champ Chris Weidman!