Canadian Flyweight MMA Rankings – June 2013

The Canadian Flyweight division is as thin as a … well…as a Flyweight.

Since the UFC has started crowning a 125 lb champ, there has been a constant query to our Top MMA News mailbox “When will you start ranking Flyweights?”.  Well…here is our first crack at the small guys.  There are so few who actually fought at 125 in the past year that we have decided to make this a Top 3.  As more warriors start fighting in this division (Adrian Woolley, Keegan Oliver, Kyle Oliveira come to mind), Top MMA News will increase the number of ranked fighters as well.

Top 3 Canadian Flyweights

1. Mike Davis (11-3) – Previous Rank (NR) –  Mike Davis quickly submitted Mike Banin who really quickly submitted Randy Turner.  The results from these two fights speak for themself making it inarguable that Mike Davis is Canada’s first #1 ranked Flyweight.  This Arashi Do fighter and Unified MMA champion is on an eight fight win streak and his only loss since 2009 was in his KOTC Bantamweight title fight against Clayton Sheen.  Next for him should be a higher profile former UFCer (maybe Antonio Banuelos?) or maybe another top Bantamweight like Adrian Woolley or Randy Turner.  Next fight: TBD

Mike Davis

Mike Davis (photo: Rob Trudeau)

2. Mike Banin (3-2) – Previous Rank (NR)Mike Banin headed to WRECK MMA 2.0 to fight Jordan Preston, but when he got off the plane, he was fighting Randy Turner.  ‘No problem,’ says Banin, who quickly submitted the hometown favorite in the main event.   Next up for Banin was the Unified MMA Flyweight title shot against Mike Davis where he was stopped with a Rear Naked Choke in round 1. Nevertheless, Banin will always be respected as a fighter’s fighter who did not say ‘No’ to facing Turner and possibly winning the Upset of the Year in that fight.  Next fight: TBD

3. Randy Turner (7-3) – Previous Rank (NR) – A top ranked Bantamweight, Randy Turner made his Flyweight debut at WRECK 2.0.  Sure, that fight was a loss to Mike Banin, but “Relentless” still has impressive, higher weight wins against fighters like BJ Ferguson and Eric Perez that make him the indisputable third ranked Flyweight.  Unfortunately, Turner was to face Adrian Woolley in a Top Maple Leaf Matchup fight this week, but that Flyweight bout was scratched due to a Woolley injury.  Next fight: TBD.

Fighters who dropped out of Top 10:  n/a

Outside the Top 10:
Steve Yhap (1-0)
Malcolm Gordon (1-0) – Next fight: vs Ahmed Akkar (at Bantamweight) at SCC on June 29, 2013.
Abdulah Teymouri (1-0)

Previous rankings:
n/a

73 Responses to “ Canadian Flyweight MMA Rankings – June 2013 ”

1. Brodes says:

Morvan has fought and won at flyweight, and IMO would matchup well against the top two.

2. Totally agree, @Brodes. Remi Morvan, Adrian Woolley, and Richard Nancoo would matchup well with anyone on the list. All have been inactive for 365 days or more and can not be ranked.

Out of the three, Morvan is the only one with a 125 fight. You should convince him to return.

3. HaggisBasher says:

Malcolm Gordon fought at 125lb on the Score show in Sarnia oct 19th last year, this should be a top 4 list with him on it

4. @HaggisBasher….This year, Steve Yhap fought the same opponent Malcolm Gordon beat at 125 only Yhap beat him quicker.

As well, I think Teymouri fought a tougher opponent in Matt Papineau.

Regardless, those three guys are all 1-0 and it is too hard to differentiate between them.

5. I remember when we could barely find 5 guys to rank at 135, and within no time, the list grew.

125 will be the same as time goes on.

Lots of talent at this weight.

6. K Rasmus says:

I was dead wrong about Lighter weight classes . I used to preach they were boring and not worth watching . I now see 145# 135# 125# as the best athletes and never disapoint matches . The word FEROCIOUS comes to mind . Their is tons of room for exiting fights in MMA . Their is No Huggy Bear or Dry Humping in these weight classes . I was wrong and fighting was right . Congrats to the 3 ranked fighters !

7. HaggisBasher says:

@KeithGrienke
    Thanks for the clarification Keith,

8. Mike Davis says:

Thank you for making rankings and the spot, despite being only 3 guys I think having the rankings much like 135 few years ago will blow up in next 12 months. Once Wooley gets his fight, or guys like Mike Riley return along with Corey Lauitcher. Than more guys like Kirk, Gordon, Teymouri get more scraps. Also if Eric Wilson decides to drop down after his next fight. up and comers Keegan Oliver and Kyle Oliviera are scrapping soon. than if as once was rumoured Roy Park & Travis Cardinal fight. I have faith this weight class will build up in Canada fast.

9. Joe Doe says:

Kirk is 0-2 Davis

10. AMLEHTC says:

BURN!

11. Adrian Woolley says:

Well lets see who number one is! EFFC is looking for Title fights. Frankie Edgar lost two split decisions in a row and went down a weight class to an automatic title shot. I’m here in the same boat. Mike Davis you said yes before on this site! SO LETS DO THIS

12. Andrew says:

No disrespect woolley but you are not Frankie Edgar. Your still a high risk low reward fight id rather see you make 125 and win first, its to bad that Turner fight didn’t happen. I want to see mike fight someone from the states who is also on a win streak

13. hasslehoff says:

If you want to see Woolley make 125, then get Mike Davis to sign the contract. If he doesn’t want to be a professional, stand by his word and move up to any of the bigger shows, then avoid this fight, find some weak American or low level Canadian to fight and enjoy a career on the west coast regional circuit.
    I have no doubt Woolley is the #1 flyweight in Canada. As a true professional, he wants to fight the challenger to that claim to prove it. Someone make it happen

14. BOOBOO says:

DONT BE SCARED HOMIE !

15. I'll Say It says:

You have to fight at a weight class to be ranked in it, Davis is it. Woolley u want a shot earn it

16. Fight Fan says:

I know Mike & he said he would fight you, but I remember him after Turner fight fell through said that it sucks cause now has no one to fight. And I see where he is coming from talked at AFC Calgary & I get his point. What does Wooley do for Mike ? Wooley benifits much more from match up. He and Turner should fight and winner faces Davis…why would Wooley not try get Turner fight back after leaving him with no fight ? SCC is coming up than Davis vs winner seems more logical. Ya its a great match up but if I was his manager I would say no myself..

17. AJ says:

Davismma125:
    “Wooley I’m in talks to fight June.21st think date is, anytime after that I’m 100% down. I’m slowly getting back into training cause was injured so after June man east or west what ever gets first I’m down for this if can wait till after that. Would appreciate, and would love to test myself against you.”

Sound like Mike Davis thinks Woolley worthy completion and has earned it.
    Do be scared for him ‘I’ll Say It’ and making lame excuses

18. How long are you out of action with the injury Adrian?

I’d love to see Adrian Wooley vs Mike Davis!

19. Ninja says:

Why would Woolley get a shot at a belt, didn’t he call Turner out then not fight him? He should settle that and earn a shot at a belt. Turner deserves a shot before Woolley IMO.

20. Belt or no belt, these 2 125ers need to fight.

Wooley has done his time, and is well known enough to deserve a title shot at 125. It’s not like he’s looking for a 155 title fight.

21. AMLEHTC says:

Is his broken arm healed?

22. Ninja says:

Lol Adrian woolley comparing himself to Frankie Edgar , no joke needed. Hahahaha

23. hasslehoff says:

Is there is any 125er in Canada willing to fight Woolley? No one wants to fight him, yet even with that truth and logic, the Internet gangstas still try to dispute any fact Adrian Woolley is Canada’s best flyweight…and any reasoning people try to invent to why he is not, is just another weak excuse

24. I'll Say It says:

I bet Banin would fight Wooley. You guys really Don’t know what your talking about. I’m a big fan of Wooley. But he is on a 2 fight losing streak and 2-3 in his last 5. Davis is clearly #1 flyweight. Wooley once he fights and wins will be #2 easily. Turner/Wooley fight makes sense. Winner fights Davis.

25. Ninja says:

Turner was willing to fight Woolley……… Dumbass!!!! then Woolley dropped out and trying to call guys out with a broken arm? And he is forgetting about Randy shouldn’t he get the first shot at your unbeatable, fear inspiring, Frankie Edgaresque hero? Shouldn’t he heal up and/or win a fight/ stop running from Randy Turner, before he starts calling anybody out?

26. Adrian Woolley says:

OK, so looks like I should come on here again and clear up some things that may have been misinterpreted, and to clarify my position.

Firstly, Andrew and Ninja: You are both absolutely right, and I apologize for the misunderstanding. I was not comparing myself to Frankie Edgar himself. He casts a very large shadow that I couldn’t even begin to compete with. I was merely comparing the situation, and the situation only. In that, coming off two back-to-back losses, dropping a weight class, and getting a title shot. That’s where the comparison ends.

Secondly, I totally agree that the Turner fight makes the most sense and I would still love to have it. However, from what I’ve heard (only second-hand information, not yet confirmed), Randy has made his family and his career a priority over fighting. I don’t see anyone faulting him for putting his wife or his career in the military first. If I am wrong, this makes me happy that this fight could still possibly happen.

As far as ranking goes, I think I’ve been fairly clear and in agreement with everyone. I should not be ranked at flyweight until I have fought at that weight. Again, I could care less about the rankings, or even where I rank. I care about great fights and fighting tough opponents. Is it wrong of me to want to ask for tough fights and fight the best?

As for Mr. Davis, he said he would fight me after the Banin fight. I am merely holding him to his word. I understand if not me, however, trying to nail down some of the top American fighters not yet signed with the UFC might be harder and more expensive than he thinks. I believe Wreck attempted the same thing for Randy by getting Antonio Banuelos. I heard he wanted large amounts of money (again, second-hand information not yet confirmed), and two corners flown up. Maybe people from Wreck could confirm the numbers, and whether this to be true.

Most of the top American flyweights fight in circuits out of Florida, Texas, and California. Again, most will be looking for big dollars which will cost the promoter, not to mention flights and corner men.

As I Stated before, it’s not about the money for me; it’s about the competition.

27. fitnessplus says:

Chris Kelades would love to fight Wooly.

28. Cameron McQueen says:

Make that fight…Maybe in ECC?

I’m no genius, but I analyze and study MMA for a living 24 hours a day every day for the past half decade.

Adrian Wooley is the scariest 125 pounder in Canada and one of the best 125 pounders in the world.

He’s worth fighting because Sean Shelby knows how tough he is. Beating him is a monster win, the kind of signature win that gets you in the UFC at 125.

If I’m Davis’ manager I’m telling him this is the one that gets you the contract.

The Canadian 125er that gets the victory over Wooley is the Canadian 125er that gets in the UFC.

30. I'll Say It says:

Robin no way beating a guy 2-3 in last 5 gets u a UFC contract. I respect most of your opinions except when you manage or help fighters you are bias when it comes to that. Mike needs some wins or even be brought over to the states,

And that’s no disrespect to Wooley he’s a badass and IM a fan of his. I think if he gets a win or 2 then beating him is a bigger deal, But for those who don’t know him u look on paper if Davis were to win, you see he beat a guy who lost his last.

31. LOL says:

The post above sounds like mike Davis….

@I’ll Say It

Records are for fans, not for matchmakers.

The guys operating at the high levels in this sport judge the quality of wins.

Alex Ricci is one of my closest friends, and I help him get fights. Elias Theodorou is like a big charming brother.

Alex is 8-1 an he just got a great decision win. Elias is an undefeated 185er somenitch.

I talked with Sean Shelby about both of them.

You ask Sean or Joe about what it will take to get these guys to the UFC?

They don’t mention records. They don’t give a shit if your guy beats a 15-2 guy who lost on TUF.

They want to see your guy finish a guy that they KNOW is legit.

Man, people don’t get it. These guys look deeper than numbers. They want to sign aggressive guys, guys who take tough fights and go after it.

Take the tough fights, face down the tough challenges, and win. That’s how you get there.

We had a conversation about what he needs to do next, who he should fight.

Sorry this “We had a conversation about what he needs to do next, who he should fight” should have said :

We had a conversation about Alex and Elias and what they need to do next.

I was told “guys need to win legit tough fights” these days.

Gawd, its not 2008. There’s hundreds of good 10-1 fighters out there. They sign the ones who beat legit guys.

So what do both Alex and Elias want?

They want to fight and beat legit guys. Guys that will get them where they wanna go.

If they were 124ers they’d be demanding to fight Wooley.

I spoke with Sean about Mitch Gagnon when he signed him.

He wanted him because he was a finisher and a risk taker.

Those are the guys they want, especially these days with so many fighters out there.

Finishers and risk takers.

Jesse Ronson will be the next guy there. He defines finishing and risk taking.

36. wuzjustsayin says:

“I’ll say it” is 100% right!

A win over Wooley does nothing for him. A loss would be devastating to Mike’s carrier and a gift to Wooley.

Fighting a wrestler is not what Mike needs at this time, he needs to fight a Brawler. I am sure Mike and his advisers know this.

Chris Kelades sounds like a good match for Wooley if they could both make 125. Maybe then the winner could be a worthy contender for Mike.

Not sure why Robin would want to lead Mike down the wrong path.

37. Adrian Woolley says:

Scott you or TJ have Sean’s number. Give him a call to set something up. I see ECC is putting on a show 28th sept. Is this the date you were thinking of? And of course at 125.

” wuzjustsayin ” I love that idea!! The winner of Chris and I fights Davis for the title. I’m sure Chris would be down for that. However Davis would have to agree and we all know he’s not all that great at keeping his word.

38. Ninja says:

Adrian lol get off yourself, you were supposed to fight turner!!!! Isn’t that breaking your word and a contract? How does a guy train so hard on fight week he breaks his arm? Like, most fighters take it easy on fight week. But instead of getting on here calling people out (with a supposedly broken arm, cause that makes sense to start a fight camp with) why don’t you just find …..and win a fight? Maybe you need to switch up your management or something go down south .Or type away on here and waste away on the sidelines but expecting different results from the same actions Is insanity. Is your arm healed yet?

39. Kyle Stoltz says:

If you guys want any top US 125ers I help Josh Sampo and Alp Ozkilic, cause there friends. Both top 10 in the world and not super expensive. If interested let me know.

40. Louis Fisette says:

What’s the difference if Davis fights Wooley now or later… In my opinion those are the only two relevant guys at 125. If Wooley wins one more fight before he fights Davis, that changes nothing. Just set it up, and fight

41. Louis Fisette says:

IF we had a ton of top level 25ers, then maybe Davis could be more picky… Two actual relevant guys have to fight.

42. smash says:

Reading @Ninja’s comments are starting to make my brain bleed… Must be a typical keyboard warrior fanboy who doesnt understand that this is the FIGHT business and somtimes injuries happen. Adrian fractured his arm in the last sparring session he was to have in his camp, the last hard day. Quite possibly the worst luck ever. It happens, nothing you can do about it.

As for the Davis situ, If I was Mike Davis, I wouldnt fight wooley either. He knows he ll get smashed by a short-jacked wrestler so hes dodgin the fight and tryin to find an ‘easier’ win and keep his streak going. I just wish he would hurry up and say that so he could stop wasting everybodys time.

43. wuzjustsayin says:

Great offer from Kyle!

Would love to see a Canadian promotion put something together!!

44. Chad Pearson says:

@wasjustsaying – I vehemently disagree that a win over Woolley does nothing for Davis for the reasons Robin pointed out (Robin has the most insight and credibility out of anyone in this conversation) but your suggestion of having Chris and Adrian fight first makes a lot of sense.

That said…The fact that Davis announced he would fight Woolley can’t be ignored. He just needs to jump in here and say something!!! Even if he doesn’t want the fight.

Davis is a champion and champions do not have the luxury of turning down contenders. Woolley IS a SOLID contender who Davis already agreed to fight. Davis needs to consider, ‘at minimum’, coming public with his intentions or he risks going from champ to chump.

I don’t believe Davis is a chump at all so a simple response from him and then a fight between Adrian and Chris is all that’s needed.

45. Woodrow says:

Im sure Nick Mamallis who is also looking to compete at 125 will fight either. Any prOmotions down for that fight hit me up!!!

46. VanCity Finest says:

It’s definitely suspicious that as often as mike davis posts on here, he has remained silent on this matter. We can speculate all we want, but it simply comes down to a yes or no answer. At this point, to not fight Woolley after saying he would, will undoubtedly damage his credibility as a fighter who will fight anyone to prove he is the best. Most likely, any post being made suggesting Davis not fight Woolley for whatever pathetic reason, is either Davis himself or friends/family, try any way possible to avoid the beating awaiting him. It’s safe to say at this time, homie is scared.

47. MMA Represenative says:

Mike Davis
    11-3
    8 fight win streak
    125lber
    Canadian

UFC requires 125ers.

Davis doesn’t need to prove anything else as riding a 8 fight or 9 fight win streak makes zero difference.

Woolley is the only winner if he fights Davis as if he wins he’s back on top but if he loses Davis just gets another win.

Why risk a loss outside UFC on a tough kid that doesn’t deserve it “jones vs sonnen” situation.

Keep ur head up Davis UFC will call you as it’s just a matter of time.

48. fitnessplus says:

Any promotions willing to put Chris Kelades/Adrian Wooly together hit me or Wooly’s camp up. These are two of the best in Canada and would make an entertaining fight. The winner fighting Mike Davis sounds interesting too

49. haugeisapuss says:

Both guys are smaller that the average female fighter but trash talk like the there tim “da speedbag” hauge.. am I the only one that thinks that’s weird

50. @Robin Black…maybe this is for division like 135-170 where there are a ton of guys so you fight tough guys and finish them. However, Canada had three guys make it at 205 in the past two years and all of them came in with not very entertaining, decision wins in their last fights.