Canadian MMA Rumour Mill – June 17, 2013
Firstly, congratulations to our friend Marc-Andre Drolet who proposed to his girlfriend Kathy in front of 15,000 people in the middle of the octagon during UFC 161 in Winnipeg on Saturday. She said Yes!
Also congrats to Corey Lautischer who became a proud first time dad with the birth of his daughter, Zoey June, this weekend!
- With TUF Canada vs Australia announced look for a steady stream of fighters looking to tryout and make Pat Cote’s team. Jesse Ronson, Chris Stranger, Chad Laprise, and Mariusz Ksiakiewicz are among the first names I’ve heard.
- Charmaine Tweet is ready to make her Invicta debut earlier than scheduled if need be! Charmaine is set to be ready to go as an injury replacement for the upcoming show if someone gets hurt at 145 prior to the Invicta card on July 13. If no one gets hurt, Charmaine will debut in Invicta in the fall as per plan.
- Stephen Beaumont seems to relish challenges, first he was set to fight Brandt Dewsbery but with Brandt injured “Big Bad” will take on Jason Saggo!
- Nabil Khatib will face Lloyd Galindo at Challenge MMA. Aiemann Zahabi will rematch a previous amateur fight against Dereck Charbonneau.
- Steve Simms (4-1) lost his undefeated record on Friday losing to Sidney Outlaw (2-0) by RNC at 3:37 of the 3rd round at Ring of Combat 45.
- Looks like Jarod Milko may face The Atomic Zombie on the Xcessive Force Fighting card in July. If it happens, it will be a rematch of an amateur bout the two had in 2009. At that time, Jeff Larkin walked away with the decision win.
- Joe Doerksen’s fight at CFC 8 could very well be his final time in the cage. Say it ain’t so Joe!
- Wulfrun training partners Lenny Wheeler and Matt DesRoches will both be fighting in Bangor, Maine on the July 12th. They will be competing on New England Fights “Nations Collide: Canadian Invasion”. Lenny Wheeler (6-2) is taking on Ray Wood (3-0) in the main event of the show for the promotions Featherweight Title, and Desroaches (4-0) will fight Jon Lemke (3-0) at 160lbs.
- Let’s hope TJ Grant’s Lightweight title shot doesn’t get delayed. Anthony Pettis, who was forced to pull out of his Featherweight title fight with Jose Aldo due to knee injury has been petitioning the UFC to bump Grant off the card and have him fight for the LW belt in front of his hometown fans in Milwaukee as he says he will have recovered from his injury by then.
- LAMMQ is filling up their Welterweight tournament participants. The latest announced fighters include Alex Laramee, Jonathan Rios Desjardins, Francis Robitaille, and Kevyn Thouin.
- Unified 17 will be on Sept 27 with the return of many unified favourites like Tim Shady, Merrick Duggan, Ryan Rother and Mark Drummond!
- People are saying that the Ontario Athletic Commission turned down the Alex Ricci (6-1) vs Derek Gauthier (7-5) matchup that was rumoured to be on the Substance card in late June. Is this any different than the Steven Wilcox (5-0) vs Raffaele Laezza (4-2-1) boxing matchup that was at the Hershey Centre earlier this month? I don’t see a difference, do you see a difference?
- Congrats to Jerin Valel and Adam Cheadle, who popped his UFC officiating cherry, on working UFC 161. Also to the Manitoba Combative Sports Commission who, by all accounts, did a great job this past weekend. Fighters aren’t the only ones who dream of making the UFC – refs, judges, time keepers, room attendants, doctors, executive directors, and even media all dream of working the big show.
- UFC 161 set a new MTS Centre gate record pulling in $3.2 million, the previous record for the Winnipeg arena was $1.6 million held be the Rolling Stones.
- Rick Pfeifer (1-1 Pro, 4-2 Ammy) will take on Zamir Safi (0-0 Pro, 5-1 Ammy) at XFFC 2 in Grande Prairie.
- The new NBA Maritime boxing champion is Richard Arsenault who won the strap this past weekend beating Travis Connors! Arsenault is another Canadian Welterweight considering trying out for TUF.
- Smealinho Rama will replace Jared Kilkenny and make his pro boxing debut against Gabor Farkas (6-27-5) on June 22nd in Calgary.
- It looks like Elite Championship Fighting will be returning to the Gordon Lathlin Memorial Arena in The Pas in late August. Gatlin Church will not be involved with the event and the newly engaged Marc-Andre Drolet will matchmake ECF 3.
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.