Canadian MMA Rumour Mill – May 27, 2013

photo: Rob Trudeau

photo: Rob Trudeau

Two words to kick off this rumour mill: TJ GRANT!

Big congratulations to TJ Grant on his fantastic victory over Gray Maynard and earning a title shot against Benson Henderson. I’m sure there wasn’t a single MMA fan in Canada that wasn’t jumping out of their seat when TJ finished off his opponent. Way to go TJ!

• Speaking of TJ Grant, his fight with Benson Henderson could be the main event of the Boston card which will be free on FOX!   TJ wants to get the title fight out of the way before he gets married.  He wants a belt to match the ring he is giving his wife!
  • Want to watch Bibiano Fernandes at One FC 9 but weren’t sure how? Well, Fight Network will carry the show LIVE on May 31! Great job FN!
  • In a major prospect battle of undefeated 3-0 prospects, Kyle Nelson will fight Neelan Hordat-Reece in a Featherweight bout at Substance!
  • There is rumblings about a Provincial Fighting Championships event scheduled for October in London, Ontario.
  • Have you been watching Fight Xchange?  It is great Canadian MMA content!  Hope to see a second season!  Canada vs Russia or Canada vs Japan would be cool to see.

• Brad Duguay is finally returning to MMA.   He will be rematching Justin Bourgeois for the Elite 1 MMA Featherweight title on September 7.  Duguay won the title in their first fight.
  • AFC in Vancouver on August 10th, with Kajan Johnson finally making his “Ragin” long-anticipated comeback?  Sounding more and more like it… how about Kajan Johnson vs Tim Jenson?
  • Also speaking of fighters who’ve been sitting on the sidelines for far too long… remember the wrecking ball that was Derek Medler? Well Medler is also possibly coming back on the August 10th AFC show in Van City! Can I suggest we finally get the Derek Medler vs Advin Omic we were all promised at AFC 10 “Rise” in Cowtown in mid 2012.
  • More AFC! With a bevy of Aggression cards and no Josh Hill or Louis Fisette on them, one has to put 2 and 2 together and get 2 Canadians on The Ultimate Fighter.  Why else aren’t these stud Canadian Bantamweights on any cards?

NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email:

23 Responses to “ Canadian MMA Rumour Mill – May 27, 2013 ”

1. mom's basement troll says:

How do we watch Fight Xchange? that sounds great.

Hope Hill and Fisette made it to the show, would be great show of the talent we have up in Canada as both are great people and fighters. Have to say also Davis vs Wilson is a fantastic match up.

2. Fight Xchange is on Fridays on Super Channel. I have Shaw so it is playable on demand as well.

Check out the recap of Episode 4 here

Crazy stuff in last week’s episode.

3. Sounds like quite a few Canadians have a chance to be on The Ultimate Fighter this year.

I don’t find the show interesting anymore unless there are Canadians on it. Otherwise, I PVR it and FF to the fight.

4. Fissette dosent deserve a job at walmart let alone a spot on reality tv– i have noticed he has been practicing his victory celebration jump up on cage antics alot lately- bodes well 4 a career as an actor…

5. Don't Call Me Leon says:

Maybe the Gossip Queen has it right for Omic vs Medler at an AFC event in August?!?!?!

6. want to fight says:

how do we can in contact with five star fight league? I’d like to get myself on the Yellowknife card in September so if any one has FFL’s contact info please post it up here pretty please :D

7. Jamie Locke says:

Hey Keith, I have Shaw and can’t see fight x change on demand. You sure you do?

8. @Jamie Locke… That is how I watched the first episode. I have PVR’d the rest. I will check again at home.

@Jamie, Superchannel is a pay channel… you won’t get it on demand unless you pay for a Superchannel subscription!

10. roaddog says:

watched Doig fight afew times now an he has improved but micnnes is gunna take this to the ground an finish him..

11. Fight-till-I-die says:

Eric B(ogosian… I’m just wondering who the fuck you fight for that you can say that FISETTE doesn’t deserve a spot on TUF. I’m sensing some jealousy…

12. PS I LOVE YOU says:

Eric B(ogosian if not FISETTE then who? Owen Carr? Tyler Davis? Sean Quinn? I don’t think any of those guys deserve a spot on that show… Fisette at least has the skills to be there no?

13. Jamie Locke says:

I do pay for superchanel, I just don’t see this show on demand… Is it there for you guys?

I cancelled it when Strikeforce had their last show and Sons of Anarchy had the season finale! haha

15. The says:

I’m sorry for hijacking this thread but I am very curious if a positive test for HPV will make you ineligible to fight ? Sorry once again

16. Donald Duck says:

I’d guess yes you’d be ineligible since it is communicable.

17. Oilcity30 says:

I would highly doubt that makes you ineligible to fight. It’s only transferable to others with sexual contact. Just read that almost everyone at one point in there life will catch some kind of hpv in there lifetime. Haha so your good just wrap your wiener little fella lol

18. Donald Duck says:

^ lol, body fluids have potential for transfer in a fight there buddy.

I remember walking back to the corner after a first round and having a pint of my opponent’s blood on me from my shoulders to my knees.

19. Oilcity30 says:

I’m not a doctor buddy, just googled it its pretty common over 100 types nearly impossible to detect in males 70% of Canadians have or will contract some sort of it. Why am I even commenting haha. Guess you would no Donnie your the expert!!

20. Joe Doerksen says:

The thing to remember about these types of disease is that once you get em, you don’t have to worry about getting them any more.

Think about it…

They’re love bumps, baby………

22. The says:

Thanks guys, good chuckles! Seems like it should be tested for…

23. Donald Duck says:

Guess you would no Donnie your the expert!!

I got nothing.