Canadian Middleweight Rankings – May 2013

It has been a while since Top MMA News visited the Middleweights and a lot has changed.  Jason MacDonald, Vaughn Anderson, and Jesse Bongfeldt all have not fought over the past twelve months and their retirements or inactivity have left the door open for newcomers.

While things have changed, a lot has remained the same.  The old guard of Joe Doerksen, Kalib Starnes, Denis Kang, and David Loiseau continue to get wins to hold off youngsters.

Here is the top 10:

Official Canadian Heavyweight Rankings

Nick Ring (Photo by Jason Bouwmeester)

Nick Ring (Photo by Jason Bouwmeester)

1. Nick Ring (13-2) – Previous Rank (1) – The Promise Ring stumbled since our last rankings, having to pull out of a fight with Costa Philipou on fight day and losing a split decision to Chris Camozzi. Despite the setbacks, Nick Ring remains the top Canuck at 185 pounds with a 3-2 record in the UFC.  The future is still bright for this Champions Creed fighter.  Next fight: TBD

2. Patrick Cote (19-8)- Previous Rank (2) – Yes….Patrick Cote is now a Welterweight, however, his fights against Cung Le and Alessio Sakara over the past year still qualify The Predator at Middleweight.  After the uninspired loss to Le, Cote was awarded a DQ win over Sakara and then dropped down to 170 lbs to win an exciting fight against Bobby Voelker.  Cote stays at #2 for now, but the only Canadian to fight in three UFC weight divisions will drop out of these rankings by the end of the year.  Next fight: TBD

3. Joe Doerksen (49-16) – Previous Rank (4) – Although he has not fought in 2013, Joe Doerksen jumps up a spot due to the retirement of Jason MacDonald.  Doerksen had a tremendous 2012 with wins in two fight of the night performances against Kalib Starnes and Joel Powell and it gave El Dirte’s fans a glimmer of hope that he would be named to the UFC 161 card.  Alas, it was not to be, however, Winnipeg fans can watch the Canadian Fighting Center’s Middleweight at CFC 8 in the fall. Next fight: vs TBD at CFC 8 on September 13.

4. Luke Harris (10-2) – Previous Rank (8) – You would not think that Luke Harris‘ MFC 37 fight was do or die for his MMA career, but that is exactly what it was.  Harris had stepped up to fight Joseph Henle and was TKO’d quickly.  Another quick TKO loss against Jason Zentgraf could have permanently sent the Hayabusa ace to the grappling circuit.  That was not the case though as Harris impressed everyone with a dominant win over the 7-1 Zentgraf via a neck crank that left fans cringing. Incredibly, with 13 fights in his pocket, Harris has yet to see the second round.  Next fight: TBD

Elias Theodorou (photo by Mike Fischl)

Elias Theodorou (photo by Mike Fischl)

5. Elias Theodorou (7-0) – Previous Rank (NR) – Welcome to the Top 10, Elias Theodorou!  With decision wins over Simon Marini and Ali Mokdad and a quick finish of Mike Kent, The Spartan debuts at #5. It appears the sky is the limit for this 24 year old from Mississauga, Ontario.  With another win or two, Theodorou should get a call from the big leagues!  Next fight: TBD

6. Kalib Starnes (13-8-1) – Previous Rank (10) – Kalib Starnes gained a lot in his loss to Joe Doerksen in September 2012.  After losing two rounds, Starnes found his will to win in the third and started bringing it in his fight with El Dirte.  That desire to win carried over to his AFC 18 fight with David Perron where Starnes pounded out the up and comer.  Now, the much-maligned Middleweight is stating his goal is a return to the UFC.  Top MMA News is glad to see Starnes is mentally back in the game, because he has all the physical tools to fight in the big show. Next fight: vs Tim Hague at AFC 19 on July 5.

7. David Loiseau (21-10) – Previous Rank (NR) – Just when you think David Loiseau is done, he gets another win.  With two consecutive wins, including a win over the tough Leopoldo Serao, The Crow jumps back into the top 10.  Let’s just hope that Loiseau stays active and remains in the top 10.  Unfortunately, Loiseau has his eye on acting.  Next fight: TBD

8. Denis Kang (35-16-2) – Previous Rank (6) Denis Kang‘s fall from #1 perch continues as he drops another two spots on these rankings.  Kang, who is one of this country’s all time MMA greats, lost his fourth fight in five outings when Melvin Manhoef left Kang wincing in pain after a knee to the body 50 seconds into their bout.  Kang needs to regain his mental game, because everyone knows he has the talent. Next fight: TBD

9. Brad Stewart (6-2) – Previous Rank (NR) – In 2011, Brad Stewart had just lost his second fight in a row and his once promising career was hitting the skids.  Stewart took a year off and came back after Fivestar Fight League signed him.  Two fights later, he has righted his listing ship with a sick KO to hand Jordan Beecroft his first pro loss and a submission win to avenge a previous close loss to Matt Baker and win a Fivestar belt!  Next fight: TBD

10. Mike Kent (10-2) – Previous Rank (9) – It has been quite a 2013 for Mike Kent.  First, he beat Cody Krahn in a controversial fourth round.  Then he took on Elias Theodorou for the ECC Middleweight title but was quickly finished by the young stud.  Following the fight, Kent, who has a full time career and is a father to a young family, retired stating he could not keep up the pace with young, full-time fighters.  Will the retirement stick?  Top MMA News is selfish and hope is does not as there are still some great bouts out there for Kent.

Dropped Out of the Top 10: Jason MacDonald (was 3rd, retired/inactive for year), Jesse Bongfeldt (was 5th, inactive), Vaughn Anderson (was 7th, inactive)

Just out of Top 10 (in no order):
Ali Mokdad (6-3)
Jordan Beecroft (5-1)
Chase Degenhardt (8-3)
Matt Baker (8-4)
Ryan Janes (5-1)
David Perron (5-2)
Clay Davidson (7-4)

Related Links:

20 Responses to “ Canadian Middleweight Rankings – May 2013 ”

1. mike kent says:

retirement is a stupid word thrown around by a lot of fighters including myself. I was not lying when I said I cant hang with the people on this list while juggling a full time job and a family so I am taking a break but a few weeks to clear my head and it is obvious to me that I will compete again as there is still a huge place in my heart and life for mma and tons of challenging fights and rivalries like Cody krahn , allen hope, and hopefully get some more opportunities at top guys that round out this list .

Also I not a lot of details came out about me and Elias’s fight and due to it not being available online not a lot of people seen it. It was a TKO due to injury . I verbally submitted while on the ground due to popping my rib out . not a knockout. Terrible way to lose.

Not trying to take anything away from elias hes a beast and I believe he is UFC bound soon. Not sure if I win that fight on my best day but I turned the wrong way on heard snap then tapped. Don’t think that was ever put out there .

The reason I was so quick to say retire is because I put everything I had into that camp and to get injured 1 minute in and not get to continue fighting was heart breaking .

I see my next fight or two whenever that is being short notice fill ins for injured fighters while im in shape from helping teammate down the road.

2. mike kent says:

I will be however taking some time away from competing to spend my free time with my daughter and expecting wife so these short notice fights wont be very soon .

I just cant be done and have that as my last memory of a sport i love competing in, worst way to lose ever , wish i was KO or tapped over that .

3. Darren Owen says:

Starnes next fight is not TBD. Fighting Hague July 5 AFC 19.
    And Kent is 9-2. I know they are just oversights. Good job on the ranking TMMA.

4. The says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 5 Thumb down 19

5. Thanks for the update, Mike. Good to hear you will take fights at some point in the future. Some great fights out there for you.

Darren…thanks for pointing it out. Mike’s was a cut/paste error from last rankings. Added Starnes AFC 19 bout.

Nick Ring is number one in my heart <3<3<3<3<3<3<3……………

7. mike Kent says:

Its not an excuse or an opinion , its a fact. Its how the fight was ended. It actually happened . It was posted that I was finished. The fight ended by me screaming grabbing my rib and tapping. Its not a secret its how the ref stopped it .

I was just making correction lol .

I don’t think its not being classy saying that I didn’t get tko’d or submitted I got injured , a lot of people never knew what happeded in the fight.

8. mike Kent says:

Idiots like you are the reason that I barely ever post on here anymore and I thibk a lot of other fighters are doing the same . No matter what u post or say there always people ready to rip u down from behind there screen name.

I say that my fight with Elias was stopped by verbal submission due to injury and I’m classless.

I really think to clean up fighter bashing people should have to use own names or verified accounts

9. Nothing classless about what happened. Even at the time of the result, Derek Leblanc was saying he thought it could have been a tapout due to injury or strikes.

10. mike Kent says:

elias is a big string great fighter , it could have been a very bad night for me or a great fight and a war. Unfortunately it never really got a chance to get going. He had top position and went to get mount I turned in and it popped again . I immediatly screamed and tapped and it was stopped . I don’t even think punches were being thrown at the time .

Anyobe close to me knows how badly I took this loss and how upset I was . I never put myself through a hard ten weeks like that in my life . No cheat meals and tortured nyself . It was a very unwhelming ending , maybe one day will meet again and maybe not, I was injured during the fight and couldn’t continue so its 100 percent his win. End of discussion.

You got lots of class Mike and don’t listen to anyone who says any different.

Enjoy chillin with your family for awhile man.

I also find that training when you have no plans to fight can be really fun. You can train Martial Arts just for the love and joy of it for awhile and you’ll find that’s pretty awesome.

Cheers to Mike Kent.

12. Brodes says:

Hey mike, I’m not sure what the reason is that you take some heat on here, or most of the pro’s for that matter. I think you seem like a good dude, and I really respect you wanting to take the time to enjoy this time with your family.
    I’ve got a 1 year old daughter and when she was 3 months old I bought a house that needs some extensive reno’s, and as she got older it dawned on me that it was going to be difficult to juggle both.

At the end of the day, there’s not much that takes priority over watching and raising your young children. Your making a good decision and you will figure out the rest as well.

Cheers pal.

13. vlad says:

I think fighter should know definition of TKO.
    TKO – technical knockout is declared when the referee, official ring physician, or the fighter’s cornermen decide that a fighter cannot safely continue the match. It could be dr. stoppage due to an injury. According to MMA rules cornermen cannot stop the fight by trowing a towel, like they can do in boxing. So in MMA stoppage by the referee or a official ringside doctor due to an injury also called TKO. So, yes you were TKO’d like it or not.

14. Joe Doerksen says:

vlad I agree with your idea of a tko, but if the ref stopped it cause Kent tapped, that would be a submission due to injury.

At the end of the day a loss is no fun, doesn’t matter how or why it happened. Fighting is a difficult thing to do and not a lot of people have the courage to put their nuts on the line. That’s why chicks dig it.

15. mike Kent says:

I don’t care that its a tko and am not contesting the loss . It was 100 percent legit . I was just saying I wasn’t submitted ot stopped by strikes I submitted becuase I hurt myself or was hurt in the fight . People had ask on other threads how it ended I just stated how

16. Joe Doerksen says:

tko (injury)

that work for everyone?

17. Allen hope says:

Happy to hear your sticking around mike

18. PUCK says:

Ya stick with it Kent, there are lots of good fights out there still for ya. Good on you to put the family first!

What is Francis Carmont’s status in Canada… is he a citizen yet? Has he been living here since his Jason Day win in 2011 or does he just come to Canada for fight camps at Tristar?

20. Donald Duck says:

“Electric brushes are much more accurately dosed than the non-refrigerated products.”

I could not have said it better.

Donnie