Canadian Rumour Mill – May 13, 2013
Well, we ALMOST had “Ragin” Kajan Johnson back to action. Kajan, who’s been out of action since MFC 31 in October of 2011, had accepted to fight UFC vet Jason Dent on June 1st. But Dent seemingly was not as eager to take on Johnson and seemingly decided to go a different route. Where does that leave us? With one of Canada’s best Lightweight talents sitting on the shelf waiting for a fight, sigh!
- Speaking of long layoffs, how about nearly three years! Good news, wait no longer as Ryan “The Lion” Diaz is finally back in action as he takes on Yusup Saadulaev at One FC 9 on May 31st in the Philippines!
- Former boxing world champion Ricardo Mayorga’s win over Canadian Wesley Tiffer has been taken away. The Nicaraguan MMA commission has overturned the decision to a No Contest and suspended Mayorga.
- Anna Barone will compete in Florida for Championship Fighting Alliance on May 24th taking on Ashlee Evans-Smith (1-0).
- Canada’s MMA Amazing Race’s is moving on from Ontario and its next stop is Vancouver, British Columbia. This untapped MMA hotbed is about to become open for professional MMA business by the end of May once the provincial commission starts up. Top MMA News has heard that both AFC and the MFC are looking into putting on summer shows in Vancouver and we imagine that Battlefield Fight League’s Jay Golshani must be knocking on the commission’s door as well. Who will be first?
- The inaugural Challenge MMA event was a success, so promoter Gary Chartrand will be holding Challenge MMA 2 on August 17 at the Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal. Look for Olivier Aubin-Mercier, who had Theo Toney pull out late from their Challenge MMA 1 fight, and Aiemann Zahabi to be on the card.
- When Metallica comes to town Nothing Else Matters and that is why Xcessive Force Fighting Championship (XFFC) will push their second show up a week to July 20 as to not compete with the legendary band.
- Sheldon Westcott’s next fight will most likely be at Middleweight and probably for Aggression. Two weight cuts in two months is enough so Westcott will give his body a break and fight at 185. Having seen Sheldon Westcott in action, I’m sure he’ll still be in sexy shape for his 185lbs bout.
- After beating the favoured Ryan Fortin, Craig “War Dog” Hudson’s first defense of his newly awarded Fivestar Heavyweight strap will be against Gary Peck in the 2nd half of this year.
- Jon Henderson knocked out his opponent, Gustavo Rodriguez, in the 2nd round at Road 2 Glory USA this past weekend.
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: email@example.com.