Canadian Rumour Mill – May 6, 2013
It’s baby time again! Congratulations to Steve Beaumont who welcomed his son, Odin, into the world this weekend! Oh yea… there are FIVE MMA SHOWS this coming weekend! MMA from coast to coast, unbelievable!
- BC’s Wesley Tiffer took on former multiple time world boxing champion Ricardo Mayorga in Mayorga’s MMA debut this past weekend. The 39 year old Tiffer squared off against Mayorga at Omega MMA in Managua, Nicaragua and lost via TKO (Doctor’s Stoppage) at the end of the 2nd round. The TKO by all accounts was from a blatantly illegal strike to Tiffer’s spine which the referee allowed, as well there has been talk of this fight being a blatant work with Tiffer being far too inactive in full mount position over the seemingly clueless and visibly out of shape Mayorga. Oh, and another thing, if all this wasn’t bad enough, the bout was initially set to be at Lightweight (155lbs), then changed to a 160lbs catchweight, BUT Tiffer showed up at 153lbs and Mayorga showed up at a shocking and utterly disgusting 176lbs. That’s right ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY SIX POUNDS! 16 LBS OVER the catchweight! (Mayorga boxed at light middleweight 154lbs)
Check out the fight which looks more like a basement fight between two boys that “trane ufc” here http://www.youtube.com/watch?
- Marcus Aurelio will be the lone Canadian MMA presence on Spike TV/Bellator MMA’s ‘Fight Master’ TV show.
- Controversial Owen Carr will take on Brent Fryia for AFC during the Stampede in Calgary on July 12th!
- Quebec is desperately needing some MMA with very little action happening there, so it’s with great pleasure that I can pass on the news of a new Quebec promotion, LAMMQ. The Ligue D’Arts Martiaux Mixtes du Quebec will have one of Canada’s most experienced matchmakers, Joey Benoit, on board and will have their first show in September of this year in Quebec City. Check them out at www.LAMMQ.com.
- Jordan Tracey (3-2) will try to make a name for himself at KOTC Canada on June 7th in Edmonton as he takes on former long time Canadian HW King, Tim Hague (14-7)! This will be Hague’s first fight back since his short lived retirement in 2012.
- Undefeated 135 lbs fighter Gary Mangat (3-0), who last fought in India for the Super Fight League, will return to the BFL, where he is 2-0, on June 8th.
- “Animal” Andrew Cseh jumped to 5-3 as he submitted undefeated Greg Jackson trained Jordan Espinosa by RNC in the 1st Round. That’s three in a row for Cseh!
- Aggression Fighting Championship has been expanding across Canada aggressively and will hold a show in Vancouver before the end of September!
- According to Dave Meltzer, Valerie Letourneau has made the cut for TUF!
- Erin McDougall lost her XFL fight against Maegan Goodwin via submission (guillotine choke) in Bristow, Oklahamo on Friday. This is a double whammy as she surely did not make The Ultimate Fighter 18 if she was taking a fight over the weekend. Chin up, Erin!
- Let’s hope that all goes well for Substance Combat, as there’s already talk of a second show at the end of this summer if the Toronto event is a success!
- Rumble in the Cage will travel to Shaunavon, Saskatchewan for RITC 47 on May 25th. The show will be an all amateur showcase.
- In February, I told you about Krzysztof Soszynski working with Michael Biehn of Terminator and Aliens fame in the movie Tapped! Well it looks like they’ve developed a friendship/partnership as KSOS will also be appearing with Biehn in the movies Severed Connection and Hidden in the Woods. Also make sure to catch Soszynski in Burning Sun where he’ll star as Xander alongside Academy Award nominee Terrence Howard as well as Cole Hauser and UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva!
- Joe Doerksen’s character in Locked Down was called Slick! Watch him take a spinning kick to the face LOL at 1:29 of the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=0nQej2lHQBo. Oh and by the way, Lance Cartwright, Axl, appears quite bit in the film (Numerous times in trailer, with the best clip being right at the end)! Make sure to check out “El Dirte” and “The Snake” at CFC 8 this September!
- Jon Henderson (9-1) will return to kickboxing and fight in a tournament alternate bout against Gustavo Rodriguez (17-4) in Glory Sports International’s “Road to Glory” tournament in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on May 11th.
- Richard Arsenault (1-0) will take on Travis Connors (6-2) in the boxing ring on June 15th in Moncton. Arsenault will try to be the first MMA based fighter to defeat Connors who holds wins over Ricky Goodall and Tim Skidmore.
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: email@example.com.