Jesse Ronson punches Eric St-Pierre

Ronson tags Eric St-Pierre (photo: Martin Blais)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TOP RANKED CANADIAN MMA FIGHTER TO FIGHT AFC LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPION

April 18, 2013 – The Aggression Fighting Championship (AFC) continues to acquire the best available Canadian talent. Jesse Ronson, the London Ontario product, is the top ranked Lightweight not under UFC contract. Ronson is currently ranked 5th in Canada and top 50 in the world. He’s riding a 7 fight winning streak and boasts a (12-2) professional record with 9 of those wins by stoppage.

Ronson’s first fight with his new promotion AFC may be his toughest test to date as he is set to go up against current AFC Lightweight Champion Shane “Shaolin” Campbell (8-1), July 5th in Edmonton Alberta on AFC 20 “Undisputed”

“I’ve had my eye on this kid for a long time.” Stated AFC Matchmaker Darren Owen “If you’re the best in Canada we want you in the AFC. If you’re the best out there in your division you’re going to have the opportunity to fight for the AFC title. Jesse Ronson is a killer he’s got all the tools needed to go very far in this sport, he wants to stand in front of you and knock you out. I can’t wait for this matchup, Ronson vs Campbell has all the making to be fight of the year”

When asked why he chose the AFC to sign with, Ronson had this to say, “I chose AFC, as the UFC was not readily available for me and it seemed like the best promotion to sign with. Lots of shows, lots of good talent and AFC is not localized they have shows all over Canada so more places to show off my skills and build a bigger fan base.”

Jesse Ronson head kicks Ryan Healy

Jesse Ronson head kicks Ryan Healy (photo: Jeremy Penn|Pennography)

When asked, what can the AFC fans expect from you come July 5th? Ronson replied, “The fight against Shane Campbell is very exciting to me. This is the final step to legitimize who is the best 155lbs striker in Canadian MMA. He’s a world champion and as good as they come on the feet and I look forward to testing him and proving I’m the best.”

Ronson vs Campbell will serve as the co-main event at AFC 20 “Undisputed” July 5th in Edmonton Alberta where the Shaw Conference Centre will play host to one of the most anticipated fight cards in Canadian history. In addition, fans will be getting their money’s worth as the Welterweight Title will be up for grabs as Ryan “The Real Deal” Ford (20-4) will face the winner of number 1 contender fight between Michael Hill (5-0) vs Joel Powell (6-3) which goes down May 19 at AFC 18 “Mayhem” in Victoria BC.

Tickets for AFC 20 in Edmonton will be available through www.tnttickets.ca and live via pay-per-view web broadcast at www.AggressionFC.com

53 Responses to “ Jesse Ronson Signs Multi-Fight Deal with AFC, Meets Shane Campbell in World Title Fight. ”

1. Shane BTP Mountney says:

+fight of the year cant wait for july>>>

2. Main Attraction says:

WOW!! Awesome fight! I’m definitely going to mark that on my calendar.

3. Shane BTP Mountney says:

if you haven’t seen the fight Ronson vs Healy…here it is a striking clinic and wow what a chin on Healy….

4. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Typo alert guys its Jesse Ronson…not Jesse Snatcher…his nickname is the Bodysnatcher…;)

5. Cody Krahn says:

Insanely good match-up. Winner should be able to get into the UFC, especially if it goes the distance.

6. Mash says:

This is def not toughest test to date for jesse. Healy, a ricci and m ricci would all beat campbell imo

East > West in canada

Jesse by 3rd tko and off to zuffa

7. Idolmaker says:

Campbell will duck no one. I like both these guys.

8. mike kent says:

JULY 5th IS LOOKING LIKE A MUST SEE CARD ! CANT WAIT !

9. rhondarouseystalker says:

This is a huge fight!!!! Well done AFC!!

FANTASTIC!!!

11. Jamie Locke says:

Awesome signing, awesome fight!

12. Chad Laprise says:

The bodysnatcher is a monster! After this win the UfC can’t keep him out any longer!

Fantastic fight! Should be an absolute barn burner!

14. gnp says:

both good fighters, ronson has more tools….jesse ronson all the way….!!

15. Jeff Harrison says:

Campbell’s Thai and his ability to land shins, knees and elbows from literally anywhere will present problems for
    Ronson, but Jesse’s hands are absolutely phenomenal and could catch Shane anytime. I’ve wanted to see this for a while! Huge fan of both gents. Can’t wait!

16. LOL says:

Yeah Jeff Campbell proved that against Solomon—NOT!
    btw Taylor won that fight IMO and alot of others!
    RONSON will eat Campbell for lunch!!!

17. LOL says:

Not to mention there’s a big difference between a Muay Thai fight and an MMA fight!.Ronsons all around skills are 10 x better than Campbell’s.

Ok thats a little exaggerated but Ronson is the better all around fighter!

I got Ronson by Tko in the 2nd .via GNP!!!

18. Very excited to see the Body Snatcher back in action! Love this match up as well. Going to be a great fight for the fans, and definitely a step towards the Show.

Props to AFC for putting this together.

19. Jeff Harrison says:

LOL you don’t win 50+ muay Thai fights around the globe by fluke.. Shane is awesome. So is Ronson. They are both on a 7 fight win streak. Awesome fight for LW in Canada!

20. LOL says:

I agree in part, that they are both great fighters, but exactly win Muay Thai fights, which this isn’t!

still see Ronson becoming AFC lightweight chamo and you are right about this being an awesome fight! CAN’T WAIT!!!

21. Woodrow says:

Ronson new champ

22. Keelan Smyth says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 5 Thumb down 16

23. LOL says:

Bahahahahahahahahahaaha^^^^^

sry couldn’t help it!

24. Idolmaker says:

This fight has been called off! Yeah Woodrow said Ronson will win, so there’s no need to go through with the fight!!!

25. Woodrow says:

Lol

26. Coach says:

Ronson has heart as does Shane .. however with reference to striking Shane is far more experienced not to mention his tools. If you watch the Healy fight Ronson makes many basic mistakes of which Shane would take advantage of.

If Ronson plays stand up …it will be a short night .. Shane also does not panic on the ground and if there is any GNP .. Shane is dangerous from his Back or where ever. 70 plus fights with competition world wide vs local Canada talent ..my vote goes to Shane ..
    should be a good fight as both fighters come to fight and are always in excellent condition.
    Worse case it goes the distance with Ronson trying to work his ground game .. decision still goes to Shane

27. terry robertson says:

Big fan of both and this fight. As a Canadian mma fan and mma fan in general I couldn’t ask for anything more.

Props to AFC for setting it up and to both fighters for agreeing.

I have to root for Ronson but I really think this fight could end many different ways at any time during the fight. To me it all comes down to who wants it more and who is better that night.

Seems like one of those fights where any given night one or the other would end up with their hand raised.

28. terry robertson says:

sorry could end up with their hand raised. Of course one WOULD end up with their hand raised. ME NO SMART haha.

29. Coach says:

Would have to agree with you Terry that it is nice to see better quality MMA fights.

I agree the fight has the potential to change fast
    Ronson not being afraid to exchange .. could be his achilles heel as Shane has a lot more ring and stand up experience and while Ronson has heart and is a good well rounded fighter ..he still would be classifed as an amateur if you look at his ring experience ..only.
    He makes some very basic mistakes that an experienced striker would take advantage of .. similar to Silva & Leben.
    Shane with over 70 fights and still looking pretty says it all.
    IMO this is Ronson’s toughest test and you are correct 25 mins is a long time and it only takes a second for things to change.
    Really looking forward to the fight but my money is on Shane .. his ground game is getting better with each outing.

30. Coach says:

not to mention Shane is coming of this weekend’s
    K1 win and has been active .. there should be no sign’s of ring rust while Ronson to my understanding has not been as active

AFC Reality Show would be good competiton to UFC would be great for Canadian Fighters and put a little extra cash in their pockets

31. LoL says:

Bahahahahaha!!! coach what are you smoking,Robson destroys Campbell,hell Campbell lost that fight to Solomon 2 RDS to 1 and you think he’s gonna be able to handle Ronson.

Ronson beats Campbell in every aspect of an mma fight which is what this is.

He physically stronger,more athletic,better on the ground and against the cage his takedowns are 100 times better than Campbell’s.
    Not to mention his boxing.
    Campbell loses this fight 99 times out of 100!!!

32. Coach says:

Well it would seem to me that the person who was always … laughing out loud .. would be the smoking ??
    We are entitled to our oppinion but in the end it only matters what the Judges vote.. that’s why one should never leave it in the Judge’s hands.

Beating one fighter who has beat another does not mean he automatically beats X.
    Stronger, more athletic you are grasping at straws.
    On the ground .. you got an edge, against the cage 50/50 … but boxing? no disrespect to Ronson but at best he is a Grade B novice .. because someone can hit hard or slugs does not make him / her a boxer .. Silva / Leben is a good example.

but if you are so sure ??? hell I’ll take that bet

33. Overhand Right says:

To even compare Campbell/Ronson to Silva/Leben is completely absurd. Campbell is a good striker, not world class. Ronsons striking is as good if not better and he is much more of a complete fighter. This is Campbell’s toughest fight to date by far. He is over rated and it will be shown as he fights the tougher opponents in attempt to reach the big show

34. LoL says:

Yeah OK Alin,ahh I mean Coach!

35. Coach says:

Overhand right, my comparison was that Leben was tough, had a great jaw but had holes in his game. Once Leben came against a superior striker his game was exposed and it was over fast.

Campbell … not world class .. he holds and won several World Titles and is a very good striker thus his wins with very little wear on his face re Healy who will stand and exchange.

If you are stating that you have knowledge and discernment of Boxing, hell striking in general and that you do not see the basic holes in Ronson’s strkiing game, then you imo need glasses.

I am not saying Ronson is not a good fighter .. previously I stated he was a good well rounded fighter … but I have coached many such fighter over the past 30 plus years and that is where they stayed .. good club fighters ..and tough.

In every fight there is a punchers change .. Shane’s experience is in his favour .. his ability to blend combinations and his improving ground game make this a good fight and in my personal oppinion gives his an advantage.

Looking forward to the fight .. best to both

I would never pretend to know an iota of what a coach with 30 years knows but, when I watch Ronson, I see a guy who is purposefully breaking fundamental rules to create an unpredictable style, not a guy with holes or flaws.

I’m not neatly experienced as you Coach but I see that Jesse has slickly combined solid boxing and thai fundamentals with long pant American kickboxing footwork and unpredictability to create an unorthodox style that is uniquely his own.

Two great fighters in a spectacular fight!

37. Coach says:

Hi Robin, first gratulations on your last fight in Quebec.
    Robin, I understand what you are saying and your oppinion is well noted.

My point is that ..from a technical and fundamental point of view ..Ronson is not breaking rules to create but has a basic foundation issue.
    Hell I have trained very broken rhythm fighters who were so unorthodox they messed up the best of fighters. Why .. because one must come on one’s rhythm to break one’s rhythm to counterpunch.

When a fighter gets hurt or tired they resort to the most basic foundation training … you fight how you train .. you cannnot change on the night of the fight.

I believe Ronson is coming into himself as a fighter and if you are correct a faster fighter at the same level with correct fundamentals ..will/should win.

Most IMO of MMA are novice’s with reference to solid boxing skills, Thai I can’t really comment on …other than Shane’s Thai experience and being a World Champion in that Style obviously gives Shane an advantage… however re long pant American kickboxing footwork .. I would have to disagree.
    If you watch two of Ronson’s fights .. you will see he is very predictable .. good overall basic skills but predictable and he is not comfortable in all of the critical distances required to be a true well rounded fighter and World Champion.

I am not being hard on Ronson .. he just needs the numbers or rounds .. experience .. ring experience and time
    Best to both fighters .. looking forward to a good fight … would love to see it go into at least the 3rd or 4th round.
    I personally hate first round KO’s especially if less than the 1min mark.

Thanks for the congrats on my last fight (I’m proud of it and I appreciate that a lot) and for an awesome post.

I’d love to watch a fight or 2 with you some time, pick your brain a bit.

I do know that 3 coaches Jesse works closely with are Leo Loucks, Bad Brad Fowler and Muzzamel Nawaz, both are really legit legit coaches but very different when it comes to typical striking for MMA.

Moz and Brad are world champion long pant kickboxers and Leo (I think his primary coach) is a genius with boxing and kickboxing who’s style has evolved in a way that is very different and intentionally unorthodox but I still insist fundamentally sound.

I think Leo and Jesse and his team speak German while Shane is speaking Chinese (or I guess Thai would be a better analogy). Both languages have an alphabet, structure, rules, etc and both are sound, but they are very different.

I think this fight is going to be epic.

I do really see your point tho and I really get the contrast you’re making.

Every technique Shane uses is technical and bankable because it comes from roots that have been proven for many many decades.

Each leg kick he throws he has thrown thousands of times and his coaches have and their coaches have. Its precise, powerful, bankable.

His movements are strong, trustworthy, proven.

His skills don’t deteriorate as the minutes and rounds wear on.

His clinch is rugged, his elbows cutting, his knees bruising.

He’s a killer.

GREAT FIGHT. WOW, the more I think about it the better it is.

We’ll get this one online and put it up on the screens at Fight Network.
    Maybe turn the sound off (no offense to you Deano) and Rammer and I can call it over a beer for our friends.

Epic.

40. Woodrow says:

ROnson tough fight but wins!!!! Coach gives great perspective i just disagree.

41. Ronson is cool, but would be way cooler if he fought in Kickboxing pants!

42. admitted submitter says:

Robin were 3000 km away but I’d rather come all the way 2 Toronto 2 hear you guys call the fights than hear the guys that AFC gets. There production is bad and there commentors are the worst. Do you charge too much or what why don’t you commentate these shows out here?

I do not at all take that ^^^ as a compliment because you sound like a hater.

I really enjoy the AFC shows and I enjoy Deano’s work and I hope to contribute some commentary at some point one day in the future. I’ve spoken to Darren about doing some voice work for them but its costly to fly a guy out.

But you’re not making me feel good by cutting them down.

Don’t be a hater man.

44. But seriously, they aren’t in the same league as you. No offense to them, but they haven’t called the hundreds of events you have.

Thanks brother you know I appreciate that.

I work hard at it and take the job very very very seriously.

I’ve called over 220 events and over 2000 fights. Every 10 or 15 shows you realize how crappy you were 10 shows ago.

But not everyone likes the same things. You like my approach but you’re also bias because you’re my best friend.

I’m proud that I’ve earned the respect of some people for the job I do but you can find lots and lots of people who will tell you that I suck too.

46. Sounds better than a comedian doing your job.

47. Coach says:

Robin, thanks for your reply.

I was not aware of who were Ronson’s Coach’s.

Leo is an ex World Champion, who’s heart was never in question. Who loved to fight in the pocket and was very dangerous there,heavy hands and feet. Very good foundation via Jimmy Fields etc. Leo in anyone’s corner is a plus.

I like Brad Fowler’s foot work, works great angle’s and also an ex World Champion.
    I personally prefer Leo’s hands to Brad’s. Brad’s style ..similar to a Tyson .. with the hands close to the face invite your opponent into mid and close range fighting. One’s defense and counter ability must be A plus for this style to be successful.

Maz also a World Champion has good fundamentals re Striking along with ring experience. Maz was a very good counter puncher/striker.

Ronson has a very good Team, vast amounts of knowledge and experience. I would guess that they are working his game to accommodate his own Style as you previously mentioned.

Based upon your post .. Ronson’s holes ..of which every fighter has .. is as a result of him being young in the game, evolving and implementing what he is learning.

Ronson’s hole is just more experience .. and knowing his team he will become much more dangerous as time goes on.

Shane’s is already there ..and it will be a good test for Ronson if he wants to test his striking game and use his ground as backup.
    I can’t wait.

We gotta have a beer you and I and talk fighting man! What city do you live in?

Are you in Montreal?

49. Rob says:

Great fight. Rooting for Ronson, one of my favourite Canadian Fighters. Should be a great scrap!

50. Coach says:

Robin, love the fight game and each person’s point of view. Styles make fights.

Please provide me your email address and I will contact you or if you prefer an Office number
    take care,