Getting to Know… Mitch Clarke

TFC Champion after beating Josh Machan (photo: Jason Bouwmeester)

Name: Mitch Clarke

Height: 5’10″

Walking Around Weight: 188 lbs

MMA Competition Weight Class: Lightweight (155 lbs)

Date of Birth: November 24 1985

City born in: Saskatoon, SK

City currently residing in: Edmonton, AB

First Job: Subway Sandwich Artist

Current Job: Private Contractor

First Car: 1985 Hyundai Pony (+500 000 km when it finally exploded)

Current Car: 2000 Chevy Malibu

Favorite Movie: Alien

Favorite TV Show: Community, The Walking Dead and Bar Rescue (Brian Cobb got me addicted to it)

Favorite Band/Singer: Johnny Cash

Nickname, and how you got it: “Danger Zone”. For one of my fights they made a caricature of me and the rest of the shirt was black, so the artist (my dad) put “Welcome to the Danger Zone” to fill in some space. Subsequently, Victor Bachmann began calling me Danger Zone  and when he cornered me against Travis Briere the announcer asked me if I had a nickname and Victor told them my nickname was “Danger Zone”

MMA Team/Camp: Hayabusa Training Centre/ The MMALab

MMA Titles Held: EFC Welterweight Champion and TFC Canadian National Champion

Belts attained in other combat sports: Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Favorite UFC Fighter: Ben Henderson and Josh Thompson

MMA Inspirations/Mentor/Idol: Matt Hughes and Evan Tanner in terms of Inspirations. Mentor would be Jeff Montemurro, the Head MMA coach at Hayabusa. The man’s a beast and one of the best kept secrets in Canada in terms of coaching and also Roger Alves, who is a freak.

First Martial Arts Memory: Going to karate when I was 6 years old and getting my first gi and when I got home began karate chopping everyone and everything. Then never going back to karate.

Eddie Rincon is about to be slammed by Mitch Clarke (photo: Jason Bouwmeester)

First MMA Memory: Watching the Ultimate Ultimate  2 and watching Don Frye whoop up on dudes.

Greatest MMA Moment to Date: So far, beating Josh Machan for the TFC title was a great feeling. I’m also very proud of my UFC 149 fight against Anton. Although I came up short, I could’ve thrown in the towel at any point due to my knee. Most people don’t understand that my knee was shredded after about 30 seconds into the fight, but I wanted to win so bad and keep going.

Toughest MMA Competitors Encountered: John Cholish and, surprisingly, Ed Rincon. Ed took a solid beating from bell to bell and would not give up.

Most Memorable Finish: Against Adam Hunsberger. There was a scramble and he tried to grab my leg and I grabbed a Marcelotine and when he  stood up I crammed him into the fence and he went unconscious. It was a great feeling.

Cage or Ring: Cage

Embarrassing MMA Memory: My UFC 140 fight. I still haven’t watched the fight but I just remember getting hit with an adrenaline dump and not being able to do anything my brain told my body. I personally think I defeated myself in that fight. John Cholish is an awesome competitor and I don’t want to take anything away from him but I just wasn’t mentally prepared for fighting in the UFC. I wanted to think it wouldn’t be different than other fights, but it was my dream to fight there and I got overwhelmed in the moment and ended up cracking.

Funny MMA Memory: When I had Paul Grandbois in a kimura and I basically dislocated his shoulder, I told him to tap and he told me to “go F*ck myself”

The Mitch Clarke bearclaw was also seen later at UFC weigh-ins! (photo: Jason Bouwmeester)

Favorite MMA Move (finish/strike): guillotine / spinning back kick

Favorite Sport Outside of MMA: Wrestling

Favorite Food: Chicago Deep Dish Pizza and Chocolate Chip Cookies (not together…that’s weird)

Relationship status: Single

Twitter Account: @mitchclarkemma

Facebook Account/Fan Page: Mitch Clarke MMA

Comments: I know I catch a lot of shit on this website, for being in the UFC and I know I’ll never make everyone a fan, but I do want everyone to know I work my ass off everyday and look to better myself as a fighter everyday. Some people aren’t going to like me because of my personality, some because they don’t like the way I fight, some think I don’t deserve to be where I’m at and some just don’t like me just because. And that’s all fine. The people I want to please are all the ones who do support me. I’ve met some awesome people through this sport and I won’t forget them. I’ve made some great friendships and mma has definitely changed my life for the better. To all of them, I plan on bringing my best product yet in my next fight, and to all the non-fans I’m sorry we can’t see eye to eye but I appreciate that you all love the sport. Thanks TMN for this opportunity, all the best

20 Responses to “ Getting to Know… Mitch Clarke ”

1. One of the nicest fighters that I have had the privilege of meeting and I hear that he is always working hard at the gym to improve.

Pulling big time for Mitch at UFC 161!

2. Sean Quinn says:

Mitch Clarke is a god damned son of a bitch.

3. mike kent says:

Mitch is a super nice guy . WAY BETTER then what people give him credit for and a very good coach ( ive been told ) and representative of the sport. I hope he goes on a streak and puts together lots of wins .

The number one thing people hate on him for is getting to the UFC without a lot of huge wins like any other fighter wouldn’t have taken it lol. I think he belongs there and will show it,

4. Dean Panas says:

One of the classiest people I know. He is a true student of MMA and he deserves success in the Octagon.

Mitch is handsome and he smells nice and he works hard and he likes puppies and he’s got a good mentality for fighting and he likes cheese and pickles and tripe and stew and he’s a good fighter.

6. Allen hope says:

Mitch works his ass off in the gym and still takes the time to help everybody els . Also I agree with him when he says Jeff Montemurro is the best kept secret in Canada

Mitch is a jerk… he’s always making fun of my tattoos or telling me I look like Tim Sylvia, but I’m still cheering for him at UFC 161 I guess! He works hard and he deserves a win, Good luck Mitch!

8. snyper mcgrath says:

Big respect for Mitch Clarke. Tearing your knee early in a fight and continuing to the the final bell takes heart and a lot of will. I have heard great things of his mma knowledge.

9. Mike Froese says:

First question:

Is Mitch taking questions?

10. Sean Quinn says:

You do look like Tim Sylvia!!!

11. Demitri (trev) says:

Great guy, hilarious personality

12. Zach B says:

” no good for nothing ” , I hope Maguire packs a pillow ! Mitch by KO

13. Fierce and Bearded!

14. Idolmaker says:

I believe I said Cody looked like Tim Sylvia first!!! Haha

15. Matt says:

Mitch is a great guy! Even if he always looks like he just woke up

16. Jamie Locke says:

I’m really digging these “Getting To Know” articles.

I’ve never slagged Mitch, but I was one of those guys thinking he didn’t really “earn” his way to the UFC through tough opposition. I gotta respect the guys comments at the end there, seems like a humble hard working fighter.

I’ll be cheering for Mitch at 161!

17. #one says:

Mr Hope is correct Jeff Montemurro is #1 hands down.If you havent trained with him you should

Great stuff by Mitch on there, especially loved his honest and heart felt end comments there!

I’ll be cheering my ass off for Mitch to win in Winnipeg at UFC 161, just like I did at UFC 149 in that super close fight he had on one knee!

Trains his ass off, talented, helps tons of others, and most importantly a good perosn!

19. Victor says:

You’d better call Kenny Loggins because you’re about to enter the

20. Idolmaker says:

Bobby you place a lot of emphasis on ass…