Canadian Rumour Mill – April 15

photo: Rob Trudeau

photo: Rob Trudeau

Damn, there sure has been a lot of Joel Powell talk on this site lately. Well.. here is some more. The guy who beat George Lockhart and will be facing Michael Hill and maybe Ryan Ford could also be facing Roan Carneiro at Wild Bill’s. Carneiro was the guy that Powell originally was going to fight in Atlanta before Lockhart.

• What??? Elite 1 MMA is killing Internet PPV/GoFight Live for their upcoming April 20th show. WHY!?!?!? How are we supposed to watch the east coasters now if we’re not actually in attendance?
  • Kyle Prepolec lost his Michiana Fight League bout this past weekend to Kevin Lee by choke in the second round.
  • Jorge Britto, one of Canada’s best grapplers will be taking on Batman at Grappler’s Quest. Britto will battle it out against Kurt Pellegrino on May 26th in Brampton, Ontario!
  • Paul Cheng is an ambitious man who’s not afraid of a challenge! First the CFL, then the local Canadian MMA scene, now Asian MMA! Canada’s #5 ranked Heavyweight has agreed to an exclusive six fight deal with One FC! The 34 year old Coquitlam, BC native speaks Manadarin and should fit in well with the Asian based MMA organization.  Watch out, Asia! It’s Typhoon Season!

• Jarod Milko vs Ryan Machan is off due to an Milko having to withdraw because of an intercostal muscle tear that will keep him out for 3-5 weeks.
  • I read Jesse Veltri retired from fighting… funny cuz I didn’t know he actually ever fought! On that note, Keith “THE MACHINE” Grienke has also retired from fighting!
  • I know Canadians should not fight each other, but wouldn’t a Chris Clements vs Patrick Cote fight at UFC Toronto get you out of your seat? Go Menace!  I mean, Go Predator!  Ah forget it.  Canadians shouldn’t fight each other.
  • Add another good Canadian fighter to the list of TUF applicants! Valerie Letourneau has gone to try to make it on The Ultimate Fighter on Fox Sports 1! Go Val!
  • Bill S-209 final reading will be this week for the Senate. Then it is voted on by the House of Commons for the final time in around three weeks to be made law! Let’s go public representatives! Let’s get this done for the betterment of the sport!

__________________
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: gossipqueen@topmmanews.com.

127 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – April 15 ”

1. ken kupsch says:

Strange post Terry, didn’t you just ask me last week if you could fight Olmstead?

2. Scott I hear what your saying.

I do wish Veltri all the best. How can you not respect anybody who is stopping something to be with their family more, regardless of how good they were at it. Or how seriously they appeared to take it.

I do have respect for anybody who has competed, I just don’t necessarily consider them all fighters.

3. Joe Doerksen says:

Hey Quinn, I honestly don’t even know what the fuck is going on right now. So I shouldn’t share an opinion on this thread cause I didn’t bother to read most of the posts. Got a few thoughts I can share, but not even sure they’re relevant.

I like MAD, think he’s smart guy and works hard to keep the sport honest.

Haven’t had a ton of contact with Ken from KOTC, but every time I did, it was a positive experience. Read his posts, seems to make valid points.

Veltri doesn’t get shit on for his record, he gets shit on for his pattern of behaviour. Pulled out of more than one fight at the last minute. Whatever his reasons, the opponents were affected and weren’t happy about it. So yeah, he’s gonna take some shit for that, wether it’s right or wrong.

Doesn’t matter who you are in this world, someone doesn’t like you. So just do what you do and the hell with the rest of em.

Quinn, I like you even though you’re short and creepy.

4. terry robertson says:

I didn’t really ask but yes I did say I would take that fight considering I haven’t fought in 2 years cause of my knee problems and I’d be giving up 40 lbs again it would be a good tuneup.

I don’t mean any offense at all and it’s just my opinion. I sold alot of tickets last time I fought for you but I heard alot of complaints from the people who bought from me about the overall quality of fights.

Like I said I don’t have any problems with shows using hungry athletes who train hard and are getting a start mixed in with the proven professionals.

If I knew more about olmstead like I do now, when that first fight happened I would’ve wanted a bigger challenge at that point.

It’s really my opinion that if guys like the ones being mentioned weren’t used it would leave more space for more serious fighters and lead to a higher quality product. It’s just that some guys are proven to not take being a pro mma athlete serious. After even a couple fights it’s easy to see and weed them out.

My thinking in saying I woould take the fight now is that if he was on the card anyway it would be a good chance to get my rust out on get back in.

I would for sure take a fight against someone more serious and with a similar record to mine as well.

Hi Joe I like Quinn too MAD is aok and I notice you say ‘nomatter who you are in the world there’s someone who doesn’t like you’ but I disagree.

Everyone loves Joe Doerksen.

6. Joe Doerksen says:

Thanks Robin, but I could probably give you a really long list of people who don’t like me. And I respect their feelings, even if I don’t share them.

7. ken kupsch says:

Hey Terry, I have no problem with anyone having a different opinion. (like Joe just said above, Joe is awesome) but I digress

You have to stick with one, not go back and forth. You do it again in your first sentence of your last post when you say you didn’t really ask.

No big deal, I love talking to you guys on here when I get a chance and I do get the points you are making.

8. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Ronson signs 3 fight deal with AFC….YEEESSSS!!!!!

9. AMLEHTC says:

I fondly remember when kotc was one of the great organizations in Canada, but I’ve slowly watched it go down hill. I understand not doing the Excalibur shows in rexall etc because that can get expensive. It just seems like every card is filled with guys who don’t care about the sport. Mind you you have awesome guys like Elmer Waterhen and Garret Davis but it seems every time you have someone good they end up sitting on the shelf until their contracts run out. You’ve had talented guys fight for you, why can’t you have a couple more good guys on the card (who I am pretty sure can sell tickets as well) and have the chad olmsteads as the first fight of the night

10. ken kupsch says:

amlehtc, yes, but those fights were costing a lot of money. As much as I love doing shows, there comes a time to pull back a bit and let the other guys spend their money.

The Rexall shows were a special event with the summer exhibition at Northlands. I had the right deal and the fights were really good.

We will probably do a couple bigger shows this fall again

As far as having a few more good guys, in most cases I do but so often we lose a couple of those, week of the show and are unable to replace them. I won’t bore you with the names and dates this happened because we would be here all night.

Of all the promoters I know and have met, in Canada and USA, not only fighting, but concerts and other events, not one single one of them wants to put on a bad event. It happens often, and it happens to most of them, but it’s not because they are trying to cheap on on the fans. They are trying to do the best event they can with the resourses they have.

Even the few that I don’t like very much, still want to put on a good show.

Hey Terry… What about a fight against Terick Carter or Teddy Ash if you’re able to make 205, I think either would be a good test for ya!

12. BOOBOO says:

@KEN YOUR RIGHT , THE AFC IS ON TO SOMETHING THERE . LOOK AT THERE FIGHT ROSTER , SOLID FIGHT CARDS COMING UP AND THE BEST CANADIAN TALENT ON THE MARKET NON ZUFFA ( BESIDES RAMA ), SEEMS DARRENS GOT HIS SHIT RIGHT !

SIGHN SOME GOOD FIGHTERS OR DID THE AFC RUIN THAT FOR YOU .

KOTC HAS LOST , WHAT THE AFC HAS GAINED !

LOOK AT THIER JULY FIGHT CARD , THATS WHAT US FANS WANT TO PAY OUR MONEY TO SEE. EVEN THOUGH I LOVE ELMER ,

13. ken kupsch says:

Nice troll attempt BOOBOO, but it’s not about me vs. AFC. Besides, most of the promoters in AFC are friends of mine, so it’s not going to work.

Also, I do not know how their deal is structured or how much corporate money they have backing them so there’s not much for me to comment on. I can assure you though, that they have their challenges too.

Of all the non UFC events in Canada (this includes my early ones, Bodog, TKO and everyone else) I thought the Score had the best product. Their last show was amazing and in a lot of ways better than some of the UFC’s. I think if they were not hemorrhaging money, they would still be here.

The balance sheet for The Score was at zero Ken, they literally broke even.

If Rogers had not bought The Score Television Network that show would be chugging along nicely still.

They made zero profit but they didn’t need to. The model revolved around the fact that the network ended up outright owning 3 hour-long tv products per MMA event while breaking even on the event.

When event costs went up they cut the payout budget (including salaries where necessary -sad face-) and stayed at the break even point while owning their tv product.

It was a nice show while it lastede. Very proud to have been involved in that one.

It was pretty neat. Break even on the show and instead of profit own the tv rights yourself. A unique model that revolves around the fact that it was owned by a network.

It was neat while it lasted but onward and upward.

16. Chris Ladouceur says:

I think Olmstead may have had cardio issues in his loses to Bensocky and the Beast. Saying he is a one hit quitter on here is a joke. I do beleive he would beat Bobby Kamalkoff. Bobby says Chad turned down a fight with him? don’t know the circumstances on that. I think a Chad vs Bobby fight makes sense. Winner fight on loser is done.

17. ken kupsch says:

Hey Robin, you may be right but from my observation of attendance and quality of show, it doesn’t add up. Could it be possible that some of the costs of the show came out of other budgets to cover cost? That’s very common in business. Either way, it’s in the past now and I agree that they did an awesome job. I wish they could have kept it going.

18. ken kupsch says:

Maybe cardio Chris, but sometimes being nervous can do that to you too. I don’t know an armbar from a cro bar, but i think sometimes the fighters underestimate mental conditioning.

Anyway, Chad was never offered a fight with Bobby (at least by me) so he never had anything to turn down.

I’m excited to see Chad fight again, he is in the best shape of his life and is going to be a handful for anybody.

19. Idolmaker says:

In a fight with bobby k I would be so busy laughing at his striking, I would worry he might clip me.

20. Would it matter?

He’d have to clip you at least 5 times to matter :)

21. Donald Duck says:

MAD,

Given Booby’s Cardio he’d be gassed before he threw the fourth strike anyways.

Donnie

22. Dirty says:

How would you know?

23. BOOBOO says:

TROLL ATTEMPT – KEN YOU ARE VERY GOOD AT WHAT YOU DO SIR , ALL I WAS TRYING TO SAY IS THAT KOTC PRODUCT ISNT THE SAME AS IS USED TO BE BECAUSE OF FIGHTER QUALITY , AFTER THE SCORE WAS BOUGHT OUT THERE ARE PLENTY OF FIGHTERS ON THAT ROSTER THAT WOULD OF BEEN A GREAT FIT FOR KOTC AND I DONT THINK ANY HAS BEEN SIGHNED THERE . ELMER IS AWESOME AND I LOVE HIS FIGHTING HEART AND ABILITY AND IS A DUEL CHAMP . IT JUST SEEMS LIKE THERE ARE BETTER FIGHTERS IN CANADA THAT KOTC COULD PURSUE , AND WOULDNT HAVE TO RELY ON BOBBY K TO SELL 50 TIX SO EVERYONE CAN SEE HIM GET KTFO AGAIN AND AGAIN.

I DIDNT MEAN TO DISRESPECT YOU KEN.

SORRY IF YOU FELT THAT WAY BUT FOR THE PRICES I HAVE TO PAY TO SEE AN MMA SHOW I WUOLD THINK YOU CAN COME UP WITH BETTER FIGHTERS TO PUT IN YOUR CAGE THEN THE ONES THAT HAVE BEEN MENTIONED.

BUT WTF DO I KNOW IM JUST A FAN OH YA A FUCKING TROLL TOO , THATS BEEN IN LOVE WITH THIS SPORT LONGER THEN SOME FIGHTERS HAVE BEEN ALIVE.

24. Idolmaker says:

50 tickets???? Holy moly he has a lot of friends in his group home!!!

25. terry robertson says:

Ken, I appreciate your opinions as well and no matter of my opinion I do appreciate what you do.

I do want to clarify that posting on a mma site that I would take that fight to get back in there and asking you directly to have that fight are two different things.

The reason I included Olmstead with Kalmakoff is that after I beat him he seem to really want to stress that he barely ever trains anyway and he wasn’t going to fight anymore. I was disappointed as I trained really really hard for all my fights and I really wanted to be pushed and tested to see where I was at.

And I do think it is fair to say he quits, he did against me, it took Severn three punches from GNP for him to tap after one whole round of hugging.

I never would have took that fight if I knew that he was just a bodybuilder who liked to get in there once in a while like both him and Tim stated to me after the fight.

Cody,

I would take either one of those fights. I’m not sure they are winnable for me if they hit the ground but while I was recovering I worked hard to sharpen my stand up and with a full camp I would like those fights to get back in and see where I stand nowadays against tough opponents.

Those would be two tough fights but I would like that better than an Olmstead or Kalmakoff.

I can make 205 no problem as I walk around 215-220.

26. Donald Duck says:

@thetruth – You think Booby will go down as quickly inside as he does inside a ring?

Donnie

27. doobie kid says:

Good luck with everything Jesse.