Getting to Know… Joel Powell

Joel Powell defeats Advin Omic

Joel Powell defeats Advin Omic

Name: Joel Powell

Height: 6’1″

Walking Around Weight: 182 lbs

MMA Competition Weight Class: Welterweight (170 lbs)

Date of Birth: June 6, 1980

Age: 32

MMA Record: 6-3 (My first fight isn’t listed on Sherdog)

City of Birth: I was born in Scarborough, Ontario and raised in Jamaica from age 2 to 10.  I have lived in Hamilton, Ontario ever since.

City currently residing in: Hamilton, Ontario

Fighting Family: Twin brother Josh is 5-2 as a Middleweight, but he has taken a break from competition to focus on working.

First Job: Landscaper

Current Job: Own my own home renovation business.

First Car: 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z-24

Current Car: Lincoln Navigator

Favorite Movie: Gladiator

Favorite TV Show: Breaking Bad

Favorite Band/Singer: DMX

Nickname, and how you got it: None yet

Joel Powell vs Andrew Buckland

Powell defeated Andrew Buckland last fight (photo: Jeremy Hainsworth)

MMA Team/Camp: Discipline MMA in Hamilton

MMA Titles Held: None yet

Belts attained in other combat sports: I had the opportunity to test for a belt in jiu-jitsu, but I wasn’t interested. My focus was on wrestling and I don’t think a belt reflects on what level you’re at. I’ve won grappling competitions and beaten black belts in tournaments and MMA and I’ve trained with a lot of really good jiu-jitsu guys and gotten the better of a lot of them, so I didn’t think it was necessary.

I went undefeated in wrestling in high school and always competed against older guys. I competed in the 2000 world championships on the Canadian national wrestling team, but I quit wrestling after that because there was no money in the sport and it actually cost a lot to compete because Canada doesn’t put a lot of financial support into amateur athletics. It started to drain me financially. If there had been more support, I probably would have stuck with wrestling. From there I started competing in jiu-jitsu tournaments and won a few of them including the Joslin Open and eventually I got into MMA.

Favorite UFC Fighter: When I first started following MMA it was Tito Ortiz because he had a similar style and was a wrestler, but Carlos Condit is probably my favorite current fighter.

MMA Inspirations/Mentor/Idol: None

Most Memorable Martial Arts Competition: I fought San Shou in China and the crowd was huge and they really got into the fight. It was an experience I’ll never forget. I’d love to fight in MMA Japan some day. That’s on my bucket list.

First Martial Arts Memory:  It wasn’t really martial arts; it was wrestling. I remember how it felt to push myself and to go undefeated as a high school wrestler. I won the Ontario Championships and I won the Canadian Nationals that year.

First MMA Memory: Winning my first fight was a great feeling.

Greatest MMA Moment to Date: It was probably my fight with Joe Doerksen, because people started to give me some recognition after that.

Funniest MMA Fighter that You Know: Cheick Kongo

Powell took on Joe Doerksen

Joe Doerksen was Powell’s toughest competitor to date.

Toughest MMA Competitors Encountered: Doerksen for sure. He has five or six times more fights than me and he’s a very skilled veteran. His size and strength were an issue, so I had to switch up my game plan and work more against the cage when I realized the advantage he had. I injured my ankle before my fight with (Team Nogueira black belt) Fabio Moraes and the injury made it almost impossible to do any running or heavy cardio for the fight with Joe and I got really tired. Trying to muscle him around only made me more tired and I got a bit sloppy and Joe used his experience and saw the opportunity to finish the fight and he took it.

Most Memorable Finish:  I think the TKO win over Fabio Moraes, because it was my most dominant performance.

Most Fun in a Fight: I fought a Team Cesar Gracie fighter Josh McDonald, who was also a good wrestler. Even though I lost, it was fun because I was beating him up and I thought I won the fight.

Cage or Ring: Cage

Embarrassing MMA Memory: I haven’t had any yet. I make sure my shorts are tied up tight so they don’t come down, so nothing like that has happened.

Funny MMA Memory:  In my first fight, my opponent nearly fell out of the ring and I pulled him back in and kept hitting him.

Favorite Sport Outside of MMA:  Rugby. I used to play it in high school.

Favorite Food:  Jerk Chicken

Relationship status: I have a girlfriend.

Plans for 2013: I’m hoping to beat George Lockhart impressively (at Wild Bill’s Fight Night) April 12 and to get one or two more big wins against UFC or Bellator vets and hopefully plead my case for a spot on the September UFC card. I have a lot of friends, family and fans in Toronto who would love to see me fight there and I believe I can do well in the Octagon. I was really disappointed that Roan Carneiro decided not to take the fight after he agreed to it, but I’m getting used to that happening. It’s tough having fighters pull out, though, because I never know how hard to train or when to peak when I keep getting fights cancelled or postponed. Hopefully I can get some regular fights in the next little while and prove I belong in a major organization with the other welterweights in Canada.

Twitter Account: I’m working on making one.

Facebook Account/Fan Page: I’m also working on making one.

19 Responses to “ Getting to Know… Joel Powell ”

Joel Powell vs Joe Doerksen was one of the best fights of all of last year! Wicked fight! Really made people take notice.

2. Woodrow says:

Def one of the good guys in the sport!!! Good luck this weekend Joel!!!

3. Mike Russell says:

Joel is such a class act that he wouldn’t say anything bad about Lockhart, even when George cut him down in this promo:

We’ll see who looks dumb after the fight.

4. J. Tyler says:

Didn’t seem like Lockhart cut him down, just seems confident he will dominate. Promos can be made to make a person look a certain way depending on the questions asked and answers given

Always been a big fan of this guy and always liked him as a dude.

Back when I saw he was gonna fight Joe I was blabbing about how dumb I thought that was. I thought his best strategy against a guy this good would be to come out guns blazing but that, against a vet like Joe, that would get him KOed in the 2nd or 3rd.

I thought a loss like that against a guy like Joe this early could damage him mentally, maybe ruin him as a fighter.

I was wrong. Way wrong.

When you see how proud he is of that fight and see how it motivated him and see how it made him better, you can see how wrong that opinion was.

Turns out that, mentally, this was the best thing for him not the worst.

Yep I was so wrong.

Thanks Joel I learned a lot from seeing you go through that. That’s a lesson I appreciate and I’ll remember it. Sorry I doubted you.

All the best Joel you got this one enjoy it.

6. dick says:

I normally thumbs you down for everything but mildthumbs up for apologizing and admitting you’re wrong.

7. Shane BTP Mountney says:

I got to spend some time with Joel in Calgary wgen he fiught Joe..because Craig was on same card…and he was cool as a cucumber… very soft spoken and had no arrogance about him…methodical in his ideas about how to handle Doerkson…it waa a pleasure to talk with him and watch him fight that night!…I became a fan that trip instantly…and i look forward to watching defeat Hill…and hopefully takin that AFC title out of Fords hands…not that im not a fan of Ford…I just really want Joels hardwork to pay off for him!!!

8. Dean Panas says:

Awesome dude and great fighter!

9. I think Lockhart is in trouble this weekend.

10. Don't Call Me Leon says:

I personally do not think Bellator will approve a potenial bout of Ford vs Powell.

11. Darren Owen says:

@Leon,
    Ford’s Bellator contract expires before July 5th.

12. Don't Call Me Leon says:

Oh how sweet this summer could look then! Thanks for the update!

13. Oilcity30 says:

I can’t see the UFC not calling Ford when that contracts up love him or hate him he deserves it and he is better than a lot of there welterweights and with continuing his training at Tristar he’s only getting a hell of a lot better fight after fight!!

There are a lot of good people who believe in Ryan.

I really think he’ll get his UFC shot.

15. fighterfan says:

I like Powell seen him and met him a few times very good guy. I don’t think that he gets past Ford tho if they end up fighting. I think Powell needs a few more fights to get to the level where Ford is at right now but hey if he will take the fight I am there to watch 100%

IMO I dont think there is a WW in Canada thats not in the UFC that will give Ford a go.

16. J. Tyler says:

I think Powell will make it to the UFC before Ford, including the fact he has visa problems

17. Lockhart, Hill, Ford would be a crazy three months of fighting for Powell. Win all three and he should be UFC bound.

18. Shane BTP Mountney says:

POWELL DEFEATS LOCKHART!!!!….YES!!!!

19. Darren Owen says:

Powell is injury free and ready to roll May 19 vs Mike Hill at AFC 18. The winner will fight Ryan Ford for the AFC Welterweight title July 5 in Edmonton.