AFC 19: Undisputed – Edmonton – July 5

AFC-THUMBDate: July 5, 2012
Venue: Shaw Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta
TV: Internet PPV
Tickets: Buy Tickets

Pro Fights:
170lbs- Ryan Ford (20-4) vs. Mike Hill (5-1)
***Welterweight Title Fight

155lbs- Shane Campbell (6-1) vs. Jesse Ronson (12-2)
***Lightweight Title Fight

215lbs- Tim Chemelli (10-4) vs. Dwayne Lewis (12-8)
155lbs- Stephen Beaumont (7-1) vs. Jason Saggo (8-1)
265lbs- Tim Hague (15-7) vs. Kalib Starnes (13-8-1)
185lbs- KB Bhullar (3-0) vs. Derek Parker (3-1-1)
170lbs- Sheldon Westcott (8-1-1) vs.
200lbs- Teddy Ash (2-0) vs. Bobby Kalmakoff (2-12)
170lbs- Travis Cardinal (1-0) vs. Jemark Brady (0-0)
135lbs- Ben Jansen (2-0) vs. Radley da Silva (0-0)
180lbs- Marcus Hicks (15-22) vs. Steve Dubeck (4-6)
160lbs- Ralph Mendita (0-0) vs. Tony Touch (0-0)
135lbs- Sarah McRann (0-0) vs. TBA

378 Responses to “ AFC 19: Undisputed – Edmonton – July 5 ”

1. The Athlete says:

Couldnt agree more

2. Awesome fight, but in Edmonton, you have to go with Ryan Ford.

Ford is always exciting, sells tickets.

That being said, i’m REALLY looking forward to Cambell vs Ronson

3. MMA says:

Shane vs Jesse is quality main event anywheres in Canada.

4. Markus hicks says:

I was just wondering if anyone knew where my neck went?

5. Jacked Up says:

Same place as your backbone…no existent and hidden by fear.
    It’s baffling how hicks has even 1 win. If you lose to him, you should not be a pro fighter.
    His strategy has been the same from the start…weak right hand to him running at the opponent to clinch, attempts to weakly muscle a takedown with zero wrestling technique and once this continuely fails, he will mentally break and become a punching bag or grappling dummy until he gives up.
    If you ever wondered why he gets fights, it is because everybody wants to fight him and he greatly needs a payday. But he will turn down or back out last minute when he realizes his opponent may just end his ‘career’.

6. Darren Owen says:

Marcus and I have had our ups and down. There was definitely a period where we wasn’t doing his job as a fighter and it showed. However he has recommitted himself to training properly and has been able to make weight. He won me back in his fight against Ryan Janes where he showed a lot of heart and had many opportunities to get out of that fight but he choose to fight through the adversity he faced in that fight. He’s won 4 out of his last 5 fights and does have 15 pro wins which is something to be proud of. He just needs to continue taking his training seriously.

7. Marty Jannety says:

Pretty sure he’ll destroy Dubeck.

8. Marcus Ossoduro Vinicius says:

Who ima fighting ?? Lol

9. Idolmaker says:

You should be fighting yourself from posting Marcus V, you sound like an idiot. I’d take advin 10 times out of 9 vs you!!!!

10. Darren Owen says:

Westcott vs Ide is at 185

11. Mike Davis says:

Card of the year !

Go BIG BAD !!

THIS CARD IS OFFENSIVELY AWESOME.

13. Jacked Up says:

Mr. Owen, if you truly believed any of the statement you said, then Hicks would be fighting in the main event and would have been your frost choice. Not to mention, you confirmed most of my points made and have witnessed Hicks backing out of a fight + contract due to fear, being scared shitless of his opponent. He may be your go to punching bag, but he will never be a serious fighter or will ever be an in shape athlete. He may be known for talking trash, but this is an argument he knows he already lost. Good luck with your show and future events, hopefully minus one

14. MMA says:

Hicks is Hicks I don’t think he will ever change he’s Canada’s version of Shannon Rich, plain & simple.

15. mike kent says:

I like Marcus , ive met him several times , seems like a super nice guy and has really been taking fighting a lot more serious lately ! I always root for him because im enjoying the newfound success he has been finding lately. Cant root for him this time because hes fighting my teammate dubeck but all the best to marcus

You guys should try being happy for people doing what they love. It may even take some of the negativity out of your own lives

I like Marcus he’s a good dude.

And he’s 5-2 in his last 7 fights which is nothin to sneeze at.

I’m sure he’s pissed off his share of peeps over the years tho so he’s gonna continue to catch some heat for that and its probably deserved.

When you make your bed sometimes it takes many years to unmake it.

Excited to call his fight tho.

Also excited to meet Mike Kent in Edmonton!

17. Teddy Ash says:

I know it hasnt been changed yet, but Denny Houle is out this weekend due to injury.. theres been alot of names been tossed around this week and some potential good challenges for me.. 3 weeks ago after i fought kotc Allen hope said he owuld love to fight me, and was offered the perfect opportunity this week. but said no? he also said the crow would be a fun fight :) .. so if your ready to step up and fight the crow on 2 weeks im sure you could be ready to go friday night? if your reading this Allen lets do this and throw it down in the cage friday night at AFC! weigh ins tomorrow we can make it any weight you want .. i need an opponent and id like a legit one like you so im not heckled for crushing cans.. 2 months ago i called out your boy on here when i shouldnt have, but this is different, ive got 2 fights in the last few months and you said youd love to fight me, and the feelings mutual, whatta ya say?

18. ALLEN HOPE says:

@teddy the first I heard of you wanting to fight me was 2 days ago when my manager bobby K picked me up at the airport and what was said to me was we got asked to fight teddy ash this weekend but I told them know. so don’t think I was asked and then I said know because that’s not what happened at all and if I would have been training even a little bit in the last month I would take the fight on a days notice but I have not seen the gym in over a month till yesterday . but we can and will fight sometimes in the near future .

19. ALLEN HOPE says:

and I still do think the crow would be a fun fight but that does not mean I will fight him tomorrow

20. Stampede says:

I honestly would love to see ash vs hope!!! Even if in the very near future!!

21. Added Bobby Kalmakoff to take over on late notice for Denny Houle.

22. Allen hope says:

Also a can crusher is a guy that only picks and chooses his fights and will only fight guys that they know they will more then likely beat . Like a 5-0 guy that will turn down a fight with somebody that’s 5-0 to fight a 0-5 guy . I’m not calling you a can cursher your one of those guys that will probably fight anybody that’s why I called you out because I know you would say yes .

23. AMLEHTC says:

Why do you hate the English language so much Allen?

24. Oilcity30 says:

Seriously Bobby K!!’ He’s gonna get hurt if he doesn’t tap before he gets hit.

25. hasslehoff says:

It seems very unlikely that lack of time training is the true reason behind Hope turning down the fight with Ash. Looking at his record, he almost never makes it out if the first round, which shows lack of endurance/athleticism. But when he does ‘prepare’ as he likes, he will give it everything he has for 5 minutes…only…at most.
    We can speculate all we want, but one thing I know for sure with these back and forth, lets fight…another time arguments is THIS FIGHT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

26. terry robertson says:

Disappointed to see Kalmakoff on a AFC card. Not saying anything against Ash, guy sounds like he wants to fight bad, but it is a shame AFC would even consider Booby the flop.

27. ALLEN HOPE says:

I was never great at the English language that’s why I probably only made it to the 8 grade I was never the smartest guy when it came to school but im ok with that I do ok for myself with out being good with the English language but thanks for pointing it out :) it was guys like you that I would beat up in high school because they had some sort of enjoyment with making fun of other people. And as for teddy I will fight him soon my next fight if he wants . i been taking short notice fights all my career sorry boys but i don’t think 2 days notice is going to happen with out not being in the gym in over a month i would have a heart attack in the first min so i don’t think that would be much fun for me or teddy

28. Chad says:

Are you kidding me Owen?

You guys put together this stellar card and then put a black eye on it fight week adding clowns like Hicks & Bobby K?!

Was bad enough with Hague on here dragging the card down, starting to look like a KOTC reject fest.

Crazy

29. ALLEN HOPE says:

@hasslehoff 1 min or 5 min i promise it will be entertaining and i will always look for the ko or i will get ko . people need to know not everybody fights to get in the ufc and some people are just not good enough to fight in the ufc and im ok with not ever getting the chance with fighting in the ufc but i still love to fight and i respect mma and i will keep doing it till my body does not allow me anymore and this is the reason i don’t care if i win or lose.

30. AMLEHTC says:

Allen, the only kids you beat up in school were the ones trying to steal the glue you were trying to eat or the people trying to play with your Stretch Armstrong

I’m surprised and disappointed to see Bobby K on this card. You guys are better than this bullshit, dudes.
    This is an incredibly short-sighted move. Totally beneath AFC….

32. AMLEHTC says:

well Ash and Bobby K will be 30 seconds long with Bobby tapping due to strikes then complaining about strikes to the back of the head then say his ankle hurts.

33. Allen hope says:

It seems very unlikely that lack of time training is the true reason behind Hope turning down the fight with Ash. Looking at his record, he almost never makes it out if the first round, which shows lack of endurance/athleticism ???

This does not make any sence I have lost 10 fights and have taking fights on 9 days notice against UFC vets clearly I’m not scarred to fight anyone also when you fight with know fear like I do meaning I stand there and bang and I don’t really have much defence so that means I get hit a lot meaning my fights won’t last long . @hasslehoff so please tell me what you think the reason would be that I would be scared to fight ash ?

34. Beat down says:

Cause ash would smash you …..

35. Darren Owen says:

We all knew this have a negative backlash and it is 100% deserved. However what you guys don’t see and hear is the heartbroken fighters who have sacrificed months of their lives, significant amount of money for their training camps that have their opponents drop out last minute and they are left without a fight. Ash had 11 family members who had booked flights from Newfoundland, multiple sponsors signed which was a way to supplement his income plus good $ in ticket commission and a pay day on fight night. We worked our asses off to find a suitable replacement, however finding a fighter with current medicals for specifically Edmonton is very difficult at 205-265 on a couple days notice. There was no other options, trust me. There are a lot of positives on this card for Canadian mma. We hope you are looking forward to those.

36. terry robertson says:

But using Bobby K? The card is great but come on, I feel bad for teddy and his family but they are going to fly out and watch bobby flop the first shot he takes.

The commission should be ashamed for allowing him to fight still and any promotion that advertises professional athletes should be ashamed to use him.

Big fan of AFC but this is super disappointing. Not having standards for the athletes is a big reason MMA still isn’t taken seriously like it should be as a legitimate sport with legitimate athletes.

Big thumbs down to AFC for lowering their standards and contributing negatively to the sport.

37. Teddy Ash says:

thanks Darren Owen for the second effort and trying to find me a last minute opponent.. and sorry to all the fans that wont get to see a fight like me and allen or me and denny.. Bobby was the only choice, and like Darren said ive committed my whole summer to july 5th, and as bad as i wanted to say no to this fight, im ready to go, ill be at the event, and ill be damned if im gonna let everyone down and watch my teammates have all the fun.. sorry for the fans that are dissapointed, but i hope you can all respect that im unemployed, and this is my job right now and i need to fight on friday night.. i hope in some way that this fight turns out to be exciting for everybody, cheers, love , and respect!

38. Mike Davis says:

While I never enjoy seeing Bobby K fight gotta feel for Ash, I have been there and sometimes its just about a pay day sadly.

Just to follow up on what Al said.

I was contacted at 10:41 AM on Sunday in regards to Allen taking on Teddy at 200lbs as Houle was out. I apologized and notified Moin that Al was in Ontario and Nova Scotia and would be back at 10pm that night and hadn’t trained at all.

Had Al been in any kind of training he woulda taken the fight on any kind of short notice.

Both Teddy and Al want the fight, hopefully we can make their schedules work sometime and see them bang it out. Unfortunately I just don’t see it happening for a bit as I know Al’s schedule.

40. Alex Caporicci says:

Kudos to AFC to step up for one of their fighters when they knew there would be backlash. I don’t know either Teddy or Bobby, but AFC deserves credit for not leaving their fighter in a bad spot. AFC could have easily just cancelled the fight, accepted any money for tickets sold (not sure their return policy) and saved themselves some money.

Not many promoters would do it and you don’t know how difficult it is to get a last place opponent until you’ve been in their shoes.

41. The Athlete says:

@Alex, I agree with you 100% but man, this guy hasnt made it past 3mins into the first round in any of his 14 fights. Thats just……. Embarrassing

42. Alex Caporicci says:

@The Athlete .. Like I mentioned, I really don’t know much about him, but I don’t think AFC had a choice. It was probably Bobby or no fight. There was no way AFC could have been 100% right whatever decision they made. They chose to take the heat and support their fighter, so you can’t fault them too much.

43. AMLEHTC says:

Alex C, the Internet is no place for logic and common sense

44. Jay b says:

Ash vs hope would have been a fun fight for the fans but if hope as not been in the gym in a month and just got back from vacation I don’t think it would have been a smart idea for him to take it hopefully we will see it one day . Hope by Ko first round

45. Donald Duck says:

Anyone who’s fought more than twice has had this happen to them, sadly it is the nature of the sport we’re in and you either put on your big boy pants and accept it or you don’t. This is the nature of fighting and the thing that separates it from bowling or golf.

Maybe the answer to this is fight insurance?

Again see above. We all make sacrifices to be part of this sport. AFC could have ponied up Ash’s show money and given him some ring time to thank his sponsors and he’d have probably made a decent chunk of change plus gotten a nice night out with family.

The sad part is that the Pat Reid Experience still licenses a complete failure of a fighter and convicted sec offender. That’s the sad part.

I don’t believe this, there are always options. Bobby is a vapid waste of space and oxygen. He demeans everything he touches. I feel sorry for Ash that his record will now permanently be stained by having to share time with someone who will most likely tap out in under a minute and then brag about how everything was going his way until the tide turned after they touched gloves.

You say you care about the athlete and want to not see them waste a training camp?!? Ash could have sat on his couch for the last month eating Lucky Charms and drinking beer instead of sweating his balls off in a training camp sacrificing time with family and giving up a life and possible work. You don’t care about Ash you just want a full list of fights.

Donnie

46. Dean Panas says:

Alex nailed it with his comments. It’s going to be a tough pill for Darren to swallow but it’s great to see AFC put their pride aside and help Teddy out. The crew from Ft Mac sell a shit load of tickets and the fans travelling 4 1/2 hours want to cheer their boys on.

As far as Teddy and his fans go, Bobby looks like he’s in decent shape and he is going to be quite a bit bigger than Teddy. The majority of the people there supporting Teddy will have no idea who Bobby is. If Teddy knocks him out he is going to look like a superstar to his fans that travelled from Ft Mac and across Canada to see him fight.

I hope Teddy takes Bobby serious and doesn’t look past him. Bobby will come out fast and will swing hard. I would hate to see Teddy get caught.

All the best kid!!!!

47. Majority Decision says:

This is what it is..

It’s AFC doing what every other promotion at some point is forced to do to fill up a card.

Just please stop with the jibber about being Canada’s #1 fight promotion, it’s starting to sound a little ridiculous

48. The Athlete says:

Rumor has it Westcott is out of an opponent. Is this true?!?!

49. cray says:

pat Reid should be fired for letting bobby fight

50. Matt says:

If that is True “the athlete” then what a shame that Westcotts plan for an easy w to try and boost his stature backfired,,,, should of just accepted a real fight right from the start