Randy Turner Faces UFC Veteran in Flyweight Debut !
(WRECK MMA PRESS RELEASE)
GATINEAU, QC– After announcing that the previous Wreck event was the last, fans, fighters and local businesses almost immediately approached Wreck MMA asking for the event to return. After careful consideration, the Wreck team went back to the drawing board to re-create an event that would be sustainable while giving the local fighters a promotion to call home. With the help of the Hilton Lac Leamy and Giovanni’s Restaurant the new Wreck MMA has returned and the fans of MMA in the region owe these partners a debt of gratitude for Wreck MMA 2.0.
To headline this event, an exhilarating showdown is official as Wreck MMA champion ‘Relentless’ Randy Turner (7-2) of Ottawa faces-off against UFC, WEC and Dream veteran Antonio Banuelos (20-9-0) in a flyweight (125 pounds) bout.
Turner is Wreck’s Bantamweight champion but is dropping to flyweight for this bout. In November at Wreck MMA: Last Stand, Turner defeated The Ultimate Fighter veteran Bruce Ferguson by TKO in the fifth round. Turner trains out of the Ottawa Academy of Martial Arts and is currently on a five-fight win streak with a 70% finishing rate. This fight might be Turner’s ticket into the UFC’s Flyweight Division.
Banuelos trains out of The Pit in San Luis Obisbo, California. The Pit is home to former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck ‘The Iceman’ Liddell and current UFC fighter Court McGee. Banuelos is known for his exciting style and appeared fourteen (14) times in the WEC with a record nine (9) wins in the organization.
A collision course is set at lightweight as UFC Veteran Mark ‘Boots’ Holst (11-5-0) takes of The Ultimate Fighter veteran and Team Quest member Richie ‘Hellboy’ Whitson (11-3-0). Both fighters have fought at the highest levels and love to stand and bang, so this fight has the potential to be the most exciting in Wreck MMA’s history.
In another fight expected to have fireworks is a bantamweight clash between Quebec’s young veteran Dimitri ‘No Stress’ Waardenburg as he takes on up and coming talent Eric Montgomery out of Maximum Training Center in Windsor. Waardenburg has fought a who’s who of talented fighters in his career and expects nothing less than a war against the exciting prospect Montgomery, who has a win against Randy Turner earlier in his career.
In a 115-pound tilt, Randa Markos-Thomas (1-0) of Windsor, Ontario will go to war with Ashley Nichols (0-0) of Cambridge, Ontario. Nichols, 26, is an amateur world champion in Muay Thai and is making her professional MMA debut. While Markos-Thomas, 27, is coming off a submission victory in her pro debut over Allanna Jones last November.
Also scheduled to appear on the card:
- A featherweight scrap between Muay-Thai specialists James Polodna and Tristan Kalijundzic.
- Flyweights collide as Tyler Kirk faces off against Steve Yhap.
- Middleweights are set to meet as Team Bushido’s James Kouame battles Bryan Black.
- In a 175 pound catch weight bout, Wreck veteran Matt Parsons goes head-to-head with Drummondville’s Francis Charbonneau.
- Welterweights are set to square off when Bowmanville’s Vince Reynolds meets Alex Laramee from Team Bergeron.
- A clash of styles at 130 as Ottawa’s Samuel Delbalke takes on Peterborough’s Jordan Preston.
- Tickets for Giovanni’s Restaurant Presents — Wreck MMA 2.0 are on sale now through Capital Tickets, on their website (capitaltickets.ca) or by calling 613-599-FANS (3267). The official hotel of Wreck MMA 2.0 is the luxurious Chateau Cartier in Gatineau, Quebec. Please call (800) 807-1088 to book your room for the event and if you mention Wreck MMA you will get a special rate!
Tickets for Giovanni’s Restaurant Presents — Wreck MMA 2.0 are on sale now through Capital Tickets, on their website (capitaltickets.ca) or by calling 613-599-FANS (3267). The official hotel of Wreck MMA 2.0 is the luxurious Chateau Cartier in Gatineau, Quebec. Please call (800) 807-1088 to book your room for the event and if you mention Wreck MMA you will get a special rate!