Chris Barnett Signs with MFC, Faces Rama For Heavyweight Title at MFC 37

If you’ve never heard of the name Chris Barnett, it’s probably because he hasn’t fought in MMA since April 22nd, 2011. He was sidelined by an unethical promoter: “Every time I had another MMA fight scheduled, this promoter would call the other organizations and harass them and I didn’t have an exclusive contract with him.” Chris kept active by knocking out his opponent in his professional boxing debut, even with all the negativity surrounding him. In case you were wondering if he is a complete fighter, he just won N.A.G.A two weeks ago.

Chris Barnett is currently not a household name, but that’s all about to change. “I’m coming and making the MFC my home, in my opinion it’s the #2 organization in the world right behind the obvious, for the simple fact that all their title holders are world class athletes and when they decide to take that next step in their careers they make history.” Barnett is referring to Ryan Jimmo’s (MFC Light Heavyweight champion/alumni) 7 second knockout record. Barnett trains with Jimmo and the rest of the blackzillians Alistair Overeem, Rumble Johnson, Tyrone Spong and Rashad Evans just to name a few. “Those guys all speak highly of me, I went down there to really find out where I was at and now I know that I am exactly where I need to be, this is my sport and it was a huge confidence boaster training with all those guys.” It’s safe to say that all this high level training really put fuel on his fire.

Barnett also known as “Beast Boy” was originally born in Spain and was raised in multiple cities in Europe. His teenage years were spent travelling the United States living in Colorado, Texas and wrestling in Georgia. He finally made it to Florida playing football for the University of South Florida (USF-NCAA Div 1), that’s where he resides to this day. Now it’s time for the “beast boy” to make it in Canada, signing a 4 fight deal with the Maximum Fighting Championship. “I have never heard one negative thing about the MFC and if they would have me at every show I would get an MFC tattoo… I have never been this excited about anything; my heart is thumping just talking about this opportunity.”

“My biggest fear is not living up to my family’s legacy and disappointing my loved ones. I come from a family where you have to become somebody or be shunned.” On Friday May 10th at MFC 37 True Grit Chris Barnett will have the opportunity to make his family proud and become the MFC world heavyweight champion when he faces undefeated Smealinho “the prince” Rama. The Prince has a flawless record of 6-0 with 6 finishes in the first round and has been perfect with his pre fight predictions. On the other hand Beast Boy has his own prediction “I will finish him with a TKO in the second.”

“If anybody has anything to say on why I am getting this title shot, line them up and I will show them exactly why I am getting a shot at that MFC championship” Barnett is a very dedicated man who has a low tolerance for laziness and pushes himself to the limit in the gym every day. He has been blessed with self motivation and prides himself on the fact that you can’t teach heart. “I don’t ever want to be known as not humble, but what I’m doing and where my spirit’s at right now I feel unstoppable, I feel like I can take 6 bullets and push through it.”

Barnett knows how dangerous Rama is when it comes to the MFC heavyweight division but he has been waiting for this opportunity his whole life and he’s never been more ready. “I want a challenge, I want a young lion. Rama is exactly what I want for my next fight, I mean his boxing is decent but anybody with a 4 ounce glove and some weight behind him can get a knockout, but he’s nothing I haven’t seen before.”

Rama seems to be able to talk his way into his opponent’s heads; considering he did it against Hackert with the first round finish, it seems like it’s been working in his favor. Beast Boy is the opposite “I’m about putting in work, having fun and putting on a show but if he has a big mouth I have a big fist.” This match up seems interesting from all angles, the MFC ring is going to be on fire when heavyweight sensations Rama and Barnett meet for a chance to become the next MFC world heavyweight champion. It is obvious both these fighters are hungry for glory. We will find out who has TRUE GRIT and who will leave MFC 37 the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world live on AXS TV from the Shaw conference center in Edmonton, Canada on May 10th which can’t come fast enough. In closing Chris “Beast Boy” Barnett (7-1) had this to say to the MFC fans “Have you ever seen kung fu panda in real life? he laughed, but in all seriousness you better come watch this fight because it’s time for me to build my legacy and I feel like it’s my job to humble fighters’ with massive ego’s.”

MFC 37: True Grit pre-sale tickets are available now by calling the MFC ticket hotline at 780-504-2024, the event is live FRIDAY MAY 10TH from the Shaw Conference Center in Edmonton,Canada

17 Responses to “ Chris Barnett Signs with MFC, Faces Rama For Heavyweight Title at MFC 37 ”

1. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Whv does Pav…bring guys in from other countries… that havent fought for him and give them title shots….i believe he should build ranks within his organization…but hey thats just me…i hope Rama smashes this yank!

2. Ryan W. says:

Who would you have him bring in? There’s no Canadian HW in Rama’s league. He proved that. It’s time to bring in other top prospects.

MFC doesn’t do enough shows to build divisions. It’s that simple.

3. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

MFC isn’t trying to cater to a Canadian crowd. They are looking at TV exposure and bringing in the best talent they can is what they do.

There are not many good heavyweights in Canada unfortunately.

4. Shane BTP Mountney says:

I agree guys to apoint…but its not just the heavyweights he does this to…i guess…in my mind since MFC is a canadian promotion… Pav…would use his show to propel canadian atheltes…guys…like Josh Hill…Jesse Ronson…to name a few…

5. Shane BTP Mountney says:

The other point i was trying to make is have chris come in and fight to get a shot at title first…not just get the shot…he did give the title fight to Rama vs Hackert…who all ready proved themselves in the MFC ring…why should this guy just come in and get a title shot…why not have him fight Hackert first…and if he wins… give him a title shot…just curious…

6. Shane BTP Mountney says:

That was suppose to read didnt give them the shot…

7. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Belts on any show other than UFC aren’t the most relevent. Soon as a guy wins one, he’s most likely on his way to the UFC. They only do so many shows a year, so hard to keep all the champs active.

I’m sure he’d love to have both Ronson and Hill.

I’d love to see Mukai Muramo vs Jesse Ronson, and Anthony Birchak against Josh Hill.

8. CM says:

It’s not the 1st time that’s happened with the MFC & probably won’t be the last.

Zac Cummings got a title shot against Jimmo in his only MFC fight. Terry Martin’s 1st fight was against Lima for his belt & that was the same card as Jimmo/Cummings too!

9. Ryan W. says:

I just don’t think it matters. It’s about MMA. I want to see canadian fighters fight the best. The MFC is big. So the best guys get there. Just because they’re canadian doesn’t mean they have to cater to us. I like that they don’t.

And the thing is, barnett vs Hackert makes no sense. Barnett is a highly respected prospect, they need someone for Rama to fight. Rama would then have to wait 8 months between fights just to get Barnett to beat some guy. It’s about good fights. Not Canadian fights. I never understood this boxing like nationalism in fighting.

10. Shane BTP Mountney says:

@MAD…tell that to the aspiring amatuers or pros on there local circuits…busting their humps to win there regional titles and hopefully being picked up by the next level and then busting their ass again to win their titles…hoping one day to get the call to the show….every title in every promotion… is relevant to someone…

11. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

That’s why I said they aren’t the most relevent.

Even in your example, it’s about moving up and getting the bigger titles.

I’d never knock a title on any show.

But IMO the only ones that matter are the UFC titles.

Bellator titles have grown to mean more than they did.

I’m all for it, but when the guy is just going to use it to leapfrog up the chain, it makes them less relevent.

Definately not knocking anybody with belts, and goals along the way are good.

12. Don't Call Me Leon says:

“I have never heard one negative thing about the MFC and if they would have me at every show I would get an MFC tattoo…”

This guy have never visited TMN! Now I really want Rama to KO this guy and send him back home to the Blackzillians!

13. Pavelich said on Top MMA Radio that he would love to get Jesse Ronson on his show.

The issue is MFC would like to sign him to multiple fights while Jesse probably wants a one fight deal.

Ronson vs Maromo would be an awesome fight!

I agree that new guy should not get a title shot when Hackert vs Rama was not for a title.

14. Hackert/Rama No.1 vs No.2 should have been a title match, would have made more sense

15. @ClinchCraig says:

Bottom line is who cares if its for a title or not as long as its a good fight. Sometimes people put too much merit in titls. Title fights don’t draw my attention, good match up do and this sounds like a dandy.

16. Rama should fight the war dog, craig hudson for the mfc title belt, Then rematch the thrashing machine, tim hague for hagues kotc championship belt. Btp pull some strings, utilize your powers of influence , make it happen. In my estimation the dog is one or two wins from makeing it onto the number one mma organization in the world!!

17. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Were not living in delusions of granduer anymore….but thanx for the support….we are looking to get Craig a good 3 to hopefully 4 fight win streak this year than talk about certain rematches…if they are available….