The Black Eye: Sorry Boyd

The Black Eye THUMBDear Boyd,

First off, let me congratulate you on your journey in Martial Arts and tell you how excited I am for you that you will soon get to reach your goal of competing in an MMA fight.  Please accept my apology that I am not able to be your partner and opponent in realizing this quest.

I found out this morning that a medical professional will not clear me to fight. Apparently, I have an injury that precludes me from fighting and, at my age, they would prefer that I don’t fight again at all.

I am glad that I got this news with over three weeks left to go before your fight, because both me and my manager Marc-Andre would be very pleased to help find you a suitable opponent so you can complete your quest.  We have already started the search and we will be proud to help Peter, the ECC promoter, in any way we can to find you an appropriate opponent for your MMA debut.

I would also like to tell you how much I respect the work you have done and how much I hope you enjoy your fight.

Oh, one more thing.

In an effort to help sell the fight and promote your TV show, I worked hard to pull my weight and contribute with the hype and get people talking.  I hoped it might enrich your experience as well as help get people interested in the fight and the documentary series.

You know, people were cruel to me when I popped into this great sport and with a TV show about chasing my dream. I thought, if I was unequivocally the bad guy here in your story, that you could be spared some of that venom. I’m used to getting it, but, trust me, it can be painful at times.

I figured if they hated me they might get behind you, so I did the best job I could to be a foil for your story.

When I was asked to be your opponent for this fight, I understood very well that you were accepting a much more experienced opponent than you needed to in hopes that I would be able to contribute to the show and the experience in other ways, like promotion and media and hype.

I respect that greatly.

I sure hope that you know, and knew all along, that any references to ‘wrecking’ you or to me feeling disrespected or any hype of that nature was all part of the game, and I hope you found it entertaining.

I’m sad that I was not able to come through for you my man, and I’m disappointed that we will not get to share such a special competitive experience.

All the best in there Boyd and all the very best with the Cubicle to the Cage project. Greg Hemming and the whole crew look to be doing an incredible job with this show. Please let me if there’s anything I can do to help the project.

You have phenomenal coaching from Peter Martell and Titans so you don’t need advice from me, but I’m going to give you some anyways.

Just have fun when you get in there.

I wish so much I could be in there with you, but the doctor says that’s just not possible.

Fighting is a very special experience and you are lucky to get to have it.

Enjoy it!

Take care Boyd and all the best.

Your friend,
Robin Black

26 Responses to “ The Black Eye: Sorry Boyd ”

1. EPerez says:

Im sure Ty Davis will try to jump on this.

2. Woodrow says:

I have a few 35ers from ontario/michigan would b down.

Get well soon robin, lets chat this week

3. wuzjustsayin says:

What a joke!

You should not be apologizing to Boyd but rather to the rest of us on TMN who have become to respect you.

For you and Marc-Andre to try and pull off this charade is way beyond disrespectful.

If anyone knew there was no hope in hell that this fight could be approved it was you two!

I just hope you guys made some marketing dollars on this.

4. wuzjustjerkingoff says:

This community never ceases to amaze.
    A guy can’t get medically cleared due to a injury and some joke of a basement troll feels he’s hard done by. Robin don’t even read this thread I’m sure its going to get retarded I hope your injuries aren’t serious just keep doing what your doing.

No no, thanks, but I can handle this.

Its so weird that the most inflammatory people, the grump edgy over-the-top posters on a site are the ones that react the strongest to other people who do the same.

I was over-the-top with my heel game with Boyd, but I was honest. I felt like I could do what the tv people hoped, which was hype the fight, and I felt like it was worth doing because I liked the idea of finishing my 10th fight where I started.
    I also thought this was my one chance to experience playing a heel in MMA, and that it would benefit the guy I was playing it with.
    And, as I was honest and open about, I felt like this was a fight I would win and I didn’t see many of those out there.

I was paid nothing for this project because I could not get cleared to fight.

I have never had to cancel a fight before in the 9 times I have accepted fights, and its a drag I have to now.

I feel bad for Boyd, but I’ve found him an opponent I think and I feel good about that.

I can’t apologize to you wuzjustguy. I hope if you take a deep breath and give it a thought you might find that this is really not about you at all. Maybe you’ll even feel bad for a guy who’s fighting his first fight who has to change opponents, an injured guy who doesn’t get to do what he loves, and a tv producer who’s dealing with a curveball at the peak of a project he’s spent 3 years of his life on.

Have a better day.

6. alex says:

7. wuzjustsayin says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 7 Thumb down 20

They did dummy.

I had to pull out when a doctor wouldn’t clear me when I did my med tests.

I have an injury that precludes me from fighting. No sparring for at least 3 months while I get basic treatment. He says at my age competing at low levels for no money with high risks of injury that he would rather I don’t fight again. Probably won’t.

I don’t think I like you today. Not in the mood for this.

9. SJM says:

Very classy post from Robin. Ignore the idiots that can’t recognize that.

Part of the reason its frustrating for fighters and coaches and promoters to come on and comment, despite the fact that they love to because they’re obsessive about the sport, is because they have to have debates with people like you.

You read a post, which is completely explained that my Toronto doctor would not clear me, and somehow you took that to mean the Halifax commission would not accept the fight.

Then you attacked me while I’m sitting here disappointed that I’m not doing anymore what I’ve dedicated the last 5 years to.

11. Joe Doerksen says:

@wuzjustsayin, chill out lil buddy. Or go f*** yourself. Whatever works.

12. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

We didn’t sign our contract until we had commission approval.

Maybe read what has happened before you criticize too much.

13. EPerez says:

Exactly why wouldn’t a commission ok this fight?

14. EPerez says:

Its ridiculous that you even need to apologize and explain why the you can’t fight. You put yourself out there and take way more criticism than deserved.

You should simply say ‘can’t fight, not cleared.’ You were in a no-win situation anyway.

15. booboo says:

16. snyper says:

Head injury?

17. snyper says:

Lol why the vote down? Legit question. Robin has made himself a public figure so he should have no problem answering. If he chooses not to disclose then that is cool as well.

18. Mike kent says:

Sorry to hear about that robin ! Hope everything is ok !

19. Pro Guy says:

Commission prob turned down fight due to the fact old Boyd had no chance at all to win this. Do some digging fellas the truth is out there!

Never have a guy with 9 fights in with a debut fighter, bad match making all the way around.

20. Demitri (trev) says:

Marc Andre is the biggest douch in the Canadian mma circuit.

21. Joe Doerksen says:

Demitri (trev), I most strongly disagree

22. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

I’d rather be the biggest douche in this MMA circuit than be an unknown troll.

23. Josh says:

I’d love to see you keyboard warriors take a fight against medical advice.

Sucks for Robin and Boyd but don’t be disrespectful and question his motives unless you’re willing to step up. And Marc Andre is not the biggest douche in Canadian MMA, just the ugliest.

24. Bradley Joseph Lawrence says:

Dang…I was really looking forward to you (robin)underestimating Boyd,especially after that article last week.Now he is signing off as your friend …What a joke ,Good luck Boyd
    your friend with the granite shins ,BJL
    WAR BOYD!!!!!

25. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Josh, i agree 100%, I definately could be the ugliest!

26. Boyd Sharpe says:

Hey Robin,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you on this. Really sorry things played out like they did. For a guy that I know (for a fact) is an extremely nice guy, you were going a great job of playing the heel. I get the feeling you would have gotten to Chael Sonnen status by March 9th. Haha.

I have a healthy combination of regret and relief that the fight isn’t happening. While I welcomed the opportunity to test myself against you in the cage, I was realistic of my chances of beating you. If I’m totally honest I was probably training to ‘not loose’ rather than training to win. Now I have an opponent who is a novice like myself and I can focus on putting on a great show and hopefully winning.

Thanks for everything.

Keep up the good work and all the best in your future projects.