Battlefield Fight League 21 Weigh-In Results

Battlefield Fight LeagueHere are the weigh-in results for Battlefield Fight League 21,  courtesy of the BFL.

If you are in Penticton, British Columbia, why not pick up a pair of tickets HERE for the February 16th show.  If you are not in the area, you can watch the show for $7 HERE.

Pro Fights
Micah Brakefield (190.8) vs. Darwin Douglas (190.8)
Jake Macdonald (181.6) vs. Jonathan Dubois (184.5)

Amateur Fights
Ryan Allen (189.7) vs. Jared Revel (185.6)
Justin Aujla-Fieldt (159.4) vs. Cleve Bentley (156.8)
Marlan Hall (143.3) vs. Matt Shannon (141)
Alex Zieske (134.1) vs. Philly Joe Rodriguez (130.8)
Rob Bishop (164) vs. Tyson Bevis (did not show)
Kevin Kellerman (139.1) vs. Colin Butts (140.5)

9 Responses to “ Battlefield Fight League 21 Weigh-In Results ”

1. Mma Truth says:

Is this seriously the Fight card!?

Penticton you deserve better!

The Penticton cards are usually a lot stronger than this, injuries really took a toll on this event!

3. Donald Duck says:

Why bother with real weight classes lets just make up whatever we want.

4. Mma Truth says:

I don’t always agree with the Duck, but I would tend to agree with him here.. This is just ridiculous.

Be nice to see the provincial commission in place

5. Penticton fights says:

Duck and Truth

I don’t understand what you’re complaining about.

Weight classes are a range.
    190 is within the Light Heavyweight Range
    181 within Middleweight
    159 within Welterweight
    130 within Bantamweight
    164 within Welterweight
    139 within Featherweight

The Allen/Revel fight was a catchweight fight and the local commission had the lighter fighter sign a consent to fight catchweight. And the lighter fighter won… So I’m not sure what the concern is

6. Donald Duck says:

Dear Fight Person,

Hope this helps.

PS – A 159lbs Welterweight?!? Who the fuck are you kidding. Maybe 10 years ago you could get away with shit like that but a guy who weighs in at 159 for a welterweight fight either didn’t bother cutting, needs to learn how to cut or doesn’t know what the fuck he’s doing. Come fight time a pro could out weigh that guy by 25+ lbs.

7. Penticton fights says:

I still don’t get what you’re saying. The link YOU provided explains that weight classes are a range and I was accurate in the classifications I identified earlier.

Nowhere in the rules does it say that the fighters have to cut to be at the exact same weight. Only that they be in the same weight class or agree in advance to a catch weight.

PS say fuck a few more times… it really makes your point for you

8. Donald Duck says:

Dear Fight Person,

You’ll have to forgive me for the delay in responding as I had to refresh myself on the topic material. I trust this won’t sour our relationship. It struck me as I read and reread my comments to you and reviewed the incident itself that the part you’re struggling with is actually quite telling.

First off, and to the reasoning behind me posting the weight classes, MMA has a structure and a shared set of regulations. These have been put in place to help see to the safety of fighters. While some of these have developed organically through the experience of MMA competition others were brought over from other sports. The weight class is actually something that is very well researched and understood. While seemingly arbitrary the weight classes work to keep athletes comparable and level the playing field from a physical size aspect. While it is true, as you point out, that a fighter who weighs in at 159 is a welterweight his opponent was 0.8lbs over the lightweight mark. I mean we’re either serious about developing a sustaining MMA culture and seeing the sport grow or we’re not.

Further to my last point, you’re entire card appears to be ‘catch-weight’. Since it isn’t mentioned or published anywhere can I ask if all the fighters knew this? Did perhaps Mr. Revel make the defined middleweight weight only to find out his opponent had missed by 3.7lbs? Was this ‘catch-weight’ agreed to scale side? If they knew in advance that the fight would be contested at 188.7lbs (as per your catch-weight agreement) then did Mr. Revel not cut weight?

If we want to see MMA grow we need to set and follow standard rules. Sure we’re enjoying a period of media exposure and some small social acceptability but it is early and we need to be true to the sport to continue to protect and see it thrive. I might not agree with all the rules in the Unified Rules, PRIDE NEVER DIE, but I see them as a means to an end. We need the rules to help develop the athletes who will continue with the sport in the future. Catch-Weights do not help fighters they hinder their development and potentially delay their recognition of what weight class they truly need to be in and focus on.

We don’t change the rules of a Junior Hockey game just because one team showed up with one less player than the rules state. Likewise we shouldn’t be adjusting the rules for MMA.

PS – Sorry your puritan morals were offended by my casual use of the F word. I’ll endeavor to be better spoken and less colloquial in the future.

9. Donald Duck says:

PPS – I voted you up not down by the way.