Canadian Rumour Mill – February 11

Gossip Queen 6Very exciting MMA weekend from coast to coast! We have MFC in Edmonton, BFL in Penticton, and ECC in Halifax, as well as Ryan Jimmo fighting in England! If you’re an MMA fan, this will be one heck of a weekend for you!

• One FC thinking about getting dirty? I’m hearing that the Singapore based MMA organization headed by Edmonton’s Victor Cui has shown interest in picking up Joe “El Dirte” Doerksen with a possible clash with Melvin Manhoef bandied about as part of 6 fight deal!
  • Speaking of Canadians finding success overseas… Ontario businessmen Joel Resnick and Saul Rajsky are RUFF guys in China! They are the founders of the Shanghai based Ranik Ultimate Fighting Federation (RUFF), the only Chinese government sanctioned professional MMA promotion in mainland China. To date RUFF has held 8 successful events throughout mainland China.
  • Sheldon Westcott is taking on Nic “Naptime” Herron-Webb (12-3) at AFC 17 “Anarchy in Edmonton on March 23rd. The Anchorage based Hierron-Web was a member of Roy Nelson’s Team on TUF 16 and this will be the first time he will be fighting outside of the Alaska Fighting Championship.

• Not too sure about Westcott vs Aaron Shmyr on Fivestar Fight League on April 13th in Yellowknife. I’m hearing noise from both sides on whether or not these two boys will go at it.
  • What does Tyson Steele have to do to get on the next World Series of Fighting event? It seems like maybe pounding on a Gracie may not have been enough… sigh!
  • No Rumble in the Cage this month, instead look for RITC to have an amateur show in Saskatachewan in May with their next pro show on September 21st.
  • “The Queen of Canada” Sarah Kaufman will be looking to detonate Leslie “Peacemaker” Smith (5-2) at Invicta FC 5 on April 6th.
  • MMA in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia this coming July??? Last year we thought so and it didn’t happen, this year I’m told it will happen! Free Crab and Lobster dinner for the winning fighters!!!
  • Add Muay Thai fighter Dave Hale to the growing list of Ontario 155ers looking for fights. He’s licensed and ready to throw!
  • MFC Welterweight Champion Nathan Coy defeated Kevin Nowaczyk by Unanimous Decision at Hoosier Fight Club 14 in Indiana.
  • Jake Hirsch has retired from managing fighters after 12 years in the MMA business. We’d like to wish “Big Jake” best of luck on his future endeavours!  Don’t be shy in visiting us at Top MMA News.
  • Last week we talked about Submission Ace in Red Deer, this week I’m going to mention a 32 Man – 16 Man Showdown (Peckerd Promotions) in London, Ontario. Just a few names I’ll mention are Brent Fryia, Jesse Gross, Seiji Sugiman-Marangos, and Misha Curkinov. There will be tons of other cool guys and MMA fighters, check out the whole event HERE
  • Jared Kilkenny, arguably at one time Canada’s #2 HW in MMA, will once again look to demonstrate the sweet science and compete in the boxing ring in Edmonton. J-Rod is matched up with Rob Nichols (5-1) on KO Boxing’s March 2nd show.

__________________
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: gossipqueen@topmmanews.com.

73 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – February 11 ”

1. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

Big Jake, good luck in the next chapter of your life, I’m sure you will succeed in that phase of your life as you have in the previous ones! All the best bro!

2. Shane BTP Mountney says:

I have a 6’8″ 400 lb monster competing in the 32 man showdown….. he took silver in Grapplers Quest North American Championships…in the men’s intermediate NoGi Absolute…in his first ever grappling championship….this should be fun…

3. BodySnatcher says:

i wanna grapple that big man

4. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Gross did at grapplers quests….I can bring him down to ATC.. and you can Jesse….;)….it would be good for him to work with leeroy and bearpaw anyway…:)

5. Cody Moorman says:

Lots of respect for Demarce but if he doesn’t push for the Lorenz fight he’s going against his word of wanting to fight top competition. Not saying anything bad about Houston but he’s just not as big of a fight for Demarce as Lorenz so hopefully he does the right thing and pushes for the Lorenz fight.

Big Jake, thanks for bringing honesty and integrity and class to everything you do.

We’ll miss you in the fight biz but I sure hope we still get to chat with you.

You’re a good man and you do good work and whatever business you’re off to adventure in is sure lucky to have you.

Cheers Big Man. All the very best!

7. Cody Krahn says:

El Dirte vs Manhoef? Yeeeeeeesh!

8. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Wierd, last I heard Gervais and Houston were signed to fight at 155.

WTF is going on here?

Owen should come on here to clear this up.

9. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Jake is going to be missed. He was one of my favs to deal with. You always knew what you were getting, which is rarely the case with managers.

We always had a super honest relationship, and it was refreshing.

Best of luck in your new ventures.

You can’t go wrong trading in stinky fighters for a beautiful girl.

10. Adrian Woolley says:

Randy

Don’t be scared homie!!!

The bully

11. walker says:

No way Randy fights woolley!!!! Pat has been protecting him for years. They ll probably fly him in another bum like they did for his ‘135 pd Title’ lol

12. Capdeville vs Demarce was going to be a #1 FW contender fight. Houston is not a good replacement for that.

Lorenz would be solid replacement for Capdeville.

13. Gnp says:

Love to see turner fight Woolley , also would like to see josh hill back in the cage soon

14. Jerobe says:

My $$$$$$$$$$ is that the Westcott vs Nic “Naptime” Herron-Webb fight does not happen, BUT the Westcott vs Shmyr fight does happen lol lol lol. Geeeeee, I wonder why….. ha ha ha

15. Chad Pearson says:

@Walker – I doubt Wreck would do that on their critical re-birth…’flying’ someone in to fight Turner instead of having Wooley ‘drive’ in would be an expensive way to cheapen the card.

The fans want to see Wooley/Turner so If Randy doesn’t want to fight Wooley then Wreck would be better off not having Randy on the card at all.

16. Dball says:

You`re not very smart.
    Randy sells hundreds of tickets and that cash alone can pay to fly a guy in.
    But I agree they won`t have him fight Woolley. Randy probably would but his coaches are definitely scared.

You spelled Dbag wrong :)

18. Idolmaker says:

One of my proud to be Canadian moments was when Daniel igali won gold in sydney. The IOC is takIng wrestling out. Thoughts on this atrocity???

19. Chad Pearson says:

@Dball – Speaking of intelligence…you missed the point – I’ll repeat it for you another way: Why spend the money flying in a lesser opponent that will cheapen the card when Wooley can drive in and the make it a solid card.

Sure Randy can sell tickets…He’s a great fighter – But a great card sells more.

Stick to your day job bro…I wouldn’t start a business any time soon if I were you.

The IOC taking out wrestling is one of the biggest tragedies in Olympic Games history.

Its an original Olympic sport for cryin out loud.

One of the sports they are considering replacing it with is Wu Shu.

How insane is that?

Brutal brutal brutal.

21. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Where’s Darren Owen to clear up this AFC Winnipeg card?

Nobody here knows what is going on. Fighters have bout agreements and then they hear their opponent is being offered to other people?

This is very strange, especially for the self proclaimed best matchmaker in the country, and the top promotion in the country.

You’d think lining up simple matchups wouldn’t be so hard. But Communication hasn’t been anybody’s strength here.

I’m concerned this card will be cancelled as it’s less than 6 weeks away, been zero advertising in Winnipeg, nobody knows this show is happening, ticket sales are shitty.

Please Darren, fix this up and put a good card on, Winnipeg needs and deserves it.

We expect more from you.

22. Chad Pearson says:

@ Dball – If Randy’s coaches are protecting him against Wooley they are making a terrible career move as they are failing to recognize the speed at which the sport is evolving.

5 years ago you could easily protect your fighter and ‘build’ your W’s but the sport is evolving too fast now…Fighters today MUST TAKE THE TOUGH FIGHTS if they have any hopes of being in the UFC.
    It’s only going to take 6-12 months for the UFC to overstock their inventory of flyweights so it’s do or die time.

If it were me, I’d be taking the toughest 2 fights I could in Canada in the next 6 months.

23. Darren Owen says:

MAD,
    We have 7 fights confirmed by commission as of now and and the final 4 or 5 fights we should be able to announce within a day or 2. Posters was ready on Friday but had 1 fighter get pulled off the card and didn’t want to be on the poster so minor delay there. There is no way in hell this card will be cancelled. Everything will be finalized this week, I’m sure you will be happy with the finished product. Yes Winnipeg does deserve a great event and that’s exactly what we will bring.

24. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Perfect, Winnipeg needs it!

So what’s up with Gervais vs Houston? Is that still a go?

I’m hearing Gervais was offered to others recently, and that Houston is possibly fighting Demarce instead? Is that true?

Looking forward to seeing the finalized card.

Appreciate the response.

25. King Kong says:

Woolley vs Turner would be a great fight, if it happens, but unfortunately there isn’t a 125er in Canada that will fight Adrian Woolley, so don’t expect this.

26. Jake Hirsch says:

Wow, I cannot thank you enough for all the kind words and well wishes. I’m truly overwhelmed and touched. It has been an absolute honor letting me be a part of the MMA world and have the experiences I’ve had over the past 12 years.

I do not leave this sport with any grudges, regrets or ill will. I leave it with the same passion and love I came into it with. The miles in the air and on the road could probably tell a thousand stories. The after parties, the hotel rooms shared the battles and the fans made it all worthwhile. These are experiences I’ll take with me for the rest of my life. I’ve also met some of the most amazing people in MMA and not only them, but their families and kids as well.

Over the years, I’ve seen this sport grow into something I’ve never could of imagined. When I first stepped into it, the only marquee names were guys like Tito Ortiz, Frank Shamrock, Royce Gracie and the legendary ground grinders: Joe Doerksen, Randy Couture, Jeremy Horn and Mark Kerr. I can honestly say I’ve got to meet and hang out with my heroes and that’s not too bad for a guy who’s 38. To see where the sport is today makes me confident that it’s in good hands.

So thank you for letting me be a part of it. For holding pads, wrapping hands, the walk outs, the victories, the defeats and the time spent with all of you. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

The list is long but I’ve never had the opportunity for a “shout out” before. So for one last shout out, here we go:

First and foremost, Dean Panas, thanks for keeping me in the game for as long as you could. Your professionalism and work ethic has been amazing and I couldn’t ask for a better person to leave my guys with. I’ll always be around to advise and help out.

Mark Pavelich, although we may of had a falling out, I do remember the good times we had and how much you taught me about the game. I’m sorry that things ended the way they did but I also got to know you on the personal side and I enjoyed our friendship a lot. So thank you.

Harvey Panesar and Moin Mirza, you two have been with me through thick and thin and have ALWAYS made me feel like family. You picked me up when I was down and treated me like royalty. I won’t ever forget that. You two are the true definition of family.

To my original fighters: Anderson Goncalves, Nathan Gunn, Matt Veal, David Letourneau, Ryan Hunter, Keto Allen, Jason Day, Jay Whitford…you all gave me a chance when I started out and I cannot thank you enough. My love for you guys is endless. Thanks for letting me manage your careers. It was an honor.

To the most honest guys in this game I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with: Marc Andre-Drolet, Robin Black (tequila shots again soon), Keith Grienke, Bobby Karimi-Busheri, Kyle Stoltz, Joe Doerksen, Big Win Don Wilson, Lee Mein, Brad Wall, Steve Fader, Darren Owen and the countless others I’m probably forgetting, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

To the guys who I’ve had the pleasure of managing and am sorry I’m leaving early: Tim Chemelli, Mike Kent, Nick Penner, Owen Carr, Dave Perron, Mitch & Brent Fryia, thank you for your continued loyalty and respect. I’m looking forward to seeing you all under the bright lights.

As many of you know, I now live in Texas and work in some pretty sensitive areas of Law Enforcement that require me to travel a lot. I have been assigned some exciting new challenges and I don’t have as much time as I did before. I’m looking forward to spending time with my family, friends and (yes MAD, you’re right lol) a wonderful new woman in my life. She’s a gorgeous lawyer, so I really can’t afford to screw this up :)

Anyways, to whoever I’ve forgotten my apologies. I will most definitely keep in touch and check in on the site as it’s a daily read for me. Thanks again for everything.

I leave with a heavy heart but sorry guys, I gotta see about a girl.

27. Jamie Locke says:

Congrats Jake, enjoy!

28. smash says:

Dear Mr. Pat Cooligan, Randy Turner, Nick Castiglia and Wreck MMA employees,

Please stop sheltering your your prospect. I am sick of seeing Randy’s face across cars in the Ottawa area and on ads for your gym. Your not the best until you beat the best. WOOLLEY VS TURNER is a fight that will clearly say who is the best at 125, because we all know its not Mike Davis.

29. Josh says:

Be great to see El Dirte fighting regularly ona big show.

30. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

I’m impressed with the Lorenz vs Demarce matchup.

Good job

31. ASSASSIN says:

Marc, go ahead and give me a shout when you get a chance..

You’ve got my number, AND i just left it on your cell.

FADER

32. Joe Blow says:

Wooley would smash Turner…Don’t be scared homie…I love it!..Randy you going to let him talk to you like that….the best at 125 in Canada will get the call but you need to beat the best.

33. Obviously says:

Can Wooley even get licensed I though he is coming off three losses. Why would turner who is coming off big wins fight this guy? Randy has fought bums? Perez, Hill, kingsbury, the TuF vet? You guys seem to have a mouth full of bully testicles but the fact is Randy has continued to show insane improvement every fight and is on the top ten for a reason.

34. Obviously says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 4 Thumb down 15

35. Chad Pearson says:

Wow…are you serious??? By making those statements you just showed how little you know about the sport, the fighters and how to interpret their records.

And by the way…I believe what you meant to say in your slam was “you guys seem to have mouth(s)…” As in ‘plural’.

If you actually knew the sport you would know that the majority of those, with QUALIFIED opinions, have Wooley as the top flyweight in Canada…And I don’t believe any of them have even seen Wooley’s balls.

36. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Steve, sorry missed your call last night.

If I didn’t know better, I’d think you were angry with YOUR tone on my voicemail. Kinda ex wifish.

I’ll go ahead and give you a shout after work sometime.

MAD

37. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

FADER, I listened to the message again and read your post.

Don’t think I appreciate your tone. Maybe leave a more appropriate message and I’ll call you back, or just post your concerns here.

Either way I’m not easily intimidated, so try again.

MAD

38. Just Laughable says:

Sounds like some folks don’t like being asked questions that require answers that have accountability and clarity to them…. props mini MAD for probing rectums for answers

39. smash says:

@Obviously. ok you plead your case, now please take the time to hear my rebuttal.

I said Randy’s last fight was against a bum, this is true. I will explain if you’ll give me the chance.

First off, he fought Josh Hill when he was 1-0 professionally with no amateur experience, and his first fight was a stand up battle. The Oama crew had no idea, as nobody else did at the time, of Josh’s grappling ability. Trust me if they did, they never would’ve taken the fight.

Clint Kingsbury, have you ever seen him fight? He is a great wrestler, I ll leave it at that.

Tuf Veteran? Firstly, this guy fought for the right to be on TUF and lost so never made it in the house. His brother is talented, this guy is not. Believe me when I say that the best fighters who go to the TUF tryouts do not always get to fight for their chance to get on TUF. Its the fighters who would make the best tv, that get the chance to fight on TUF.

Also, does anyone else think Randy lost to that young kid from Niagara Falls, Andrew Cseh or whatever? The fight was on the Score a Cpl weeks ago, I have Cseh winning it.

Fact is WOOLLEY AND TURNER are both old men, with similar records, similar styles, and have the potential to be the best 125 pounder in the country. I would LOVE to see this fight. WRECK MAKE IT HAPPEN.

40. Donald Duck says:

1. Wooley’s two losses were razor thin split decision losses and good fights too boot.

2. Wooley is the best 125er in Canada. Those saying otherwise are just being intentionally nut huggy one way or another.

3. The best ‘best’ 125 in Canada unfortunately never got to fight at 125 in Canada but you can ask Miguel Torres (amoung others) how tough they thought he was.

4. I can’t take Fader and his holster purse seriously.

5. FUCKING ROBIN BLACK!

Donnie

41. Jennifer says:

AFC 15 March 15 Calgary AFC 16 March 23 Winnipeg and AFC 17 Edmonton also on March 23 Sounds like AFC is doing something right! Come check out one of our 3 shows that week! Hard Work Dedication = Success

42. Cody Krahn says:

Holster purse?! That’s gold Donnie, gold!

43. Donald Duck says:

Anyone who’s met Steve knows what I’m talking about.

Donnie

44. truth says:

Adrian Woolley is one of the most ducked fighters in all of Canada. It’s a shame, because he should be in the big show.

45. Duke says:

There should be formal consequences when coaches like Pat shelter their fighters. The fans want Wooley/Turner AND it is clear that Wooley/Turner will decide the top dog at 125!!! This is obviously the best fight for the card…yet a ‘coach’ steps in and stops it without any consequences?????

This is ‘supposed to be a professional sport’ where fighters fight, but its looking more like a circus!!!!!

I submit that coaches like Pat incur suspensions when they interfere with the naturally occurring bracket draw that happens in the sport. Randy is one tough fighter AND a god damn SOLDIER so I don’t believe for one second he would say no to Wooley – this is clearly all Pat’s doing – if you’re listening Pat, smarten up, let them fight and stop ruining the sport.

46. Joe Doerksen says:

Hoping the One FC rumour turns out to be true. I’ve been told to be patient and wait. A decision was supposed to be made by Monday. It is now Wednesday and no answer. Would love to get that contract. Not holding my breath.

47. Chad Pearson says:

@duke – Well said.

48. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Duke, that makes zero sense.

If it were Wreck rankings you could fault the promotion.

But at the end of the day it’s a regional promotion putting on a show, and they can put whoever they want on the card. Nobody can hold them to who they use. That makes no sense.

I’m not saying that would be a cool matchup, but at the end of the day it’s the promotion who pays the bills on the show, and chooses who to use.

49. Jeff Harrison says:

. Love to watch Adrian fight..What a gret athlete. Why does everyone underestimate Randy so much? I think that’s a great fight, and see randy running circles around Wooley with his speed, counter wrestling, and strikes. He out grapples grapplers, out strikes strikers, and still doesn’t get the credit he deserves. Calling Randy scared after the fights he has taken in his young career(Most of them as an underdog)and the things he has done for our country tha would leave most MMA fighters myself included with soiled underwear lacks class. Randy isn’t scared of anything dude and would never speak poorly of an opponent..hope it happens so he can whoop an overdog once again:)

50. Chad Pearson says:

@ Jeff – I think the majority of the people here agree with you that Randy wouldn’t back down from taking the fight with Wooley…as Duke said “he’s a damn soldier”.

The problem here Jeff, is that his coaches aren’t letting him take the fight.

It’s a bad move, unless he’s content with claiming he’s the best in Ottawa, but its his coach’s call.