Wreck MMA 2.0 Planning March Return to Ottawa/Gatineau

wreckmmaRumours had been swirling around for weeks throughout the Canadian MMA scene that the November 9, 2012 Wreck MMA event would possibly be the final show ever for Wreck. Following the conclusion of the show, fittingly titled “Last Stand”, while everyone was celebrating Ottawa’s Randy Turner’s Bantamweight title victory, Wreck promoter Nick Castiglia, was confirming what some had feared and telling everyone that this tenth installment of Wreck was the final event.

Nick Castiglia had done everything to try to make Wreck popular: from running the event, to fighting on a show, from supporting his community with charitable endeavors, to putting on events in Afghanistan for Canadian soldiers. He had put in long hours over four years and was critical of the results, so when his OAMA teammate Randy Turner won the WRECK Bantamweight title on November 9, 2012, it was a great finale for his promotion.

“I was burnt out, I was jaded, and I was fed up,” says Castiglia. “I shut her down, because I had enough of running the show at a loss with a lack of support from the community.”

A funny thing happened as soon as Wreck MMA closed for business, “There were so many offers of help from everywhere. I was cynical at first, but offers of financial and other support kept flooding in so I had to address it. I had to look at running Wreck again just to see if I can make it successful with all this help.”

“I feel I owe it to myself and my organization that I helped to build. I owe it to the fighters, and the city, and the sport that I love with all my heart and the local fans that enjoy coming to all the shows. I can’t have all this support and not put on a show. With all these reasons, I had to look at holding another show.”

Castiglia is relaunching a new version of Wreck at the Casino du Lac-Lemay on March 28, 2013. He is dubbing it Wreck 2.0 although he remains coy on what the changes will be. “You’ll see,” he says.

As for who will appear on the March 28th event, Castiglia challenges his city’s fighters, “I would love to see one fighter minimum from every single gym in the Ottawa area that apparently teaches MMA.

17 Responses to “ Wreck MMA 2.0 Planning March Return to Ottawa/Gatineau ”

huzzah!

2. The Dude says:

That “apparently” teaches MMA

Them fightin words!

3. nick castiglia says:

your right, they are!

4. Gunner says:

Thats awesome news, best of luck getting things back rolling to Nick and all involved! Excellent people and well organized shows before

5. Leslie says:

6. showtying says:

wo hoo maybe me and gunner can fight lol buddy..

7. Leslie says:

This is great because many enjoy these fights and look forward to the events as if it were a concert! Nick spent a lot of time in promoting the project and I’m sure many will love WRECK 2.0 just as much! I hate Rogers sooo much!

8. L.J. says:

Well Nick has apparently shown them! The people want what they want and they’re going to get it! WRECK 2.0 on it’s way and will be here to stay!

9. Jay says:

NO MORE PAUL EBEJER…

…unless its against tj colleti

10. M.F.M. says:

Here s some food for thought… Now that SFS is out of business, the list of ‘hungry’ Ontario MMA fighters has gone through the roof. Imagine the caliber of fighters that could be on this card potentially and since they are all within driving distance travel cost would be minimal.

Josh Hill- vs. ANYBODY!
    Adrian Vilaca- beat Chan at last Wreck on less then 2 weeks notice
    Lyndon Whitlock- vs. Bernadel?
    Adrian Wooley- at 125
    Rory McDonnell- at 45 or 55

These are just the guys in my close circle who would jump at this opportunity.

11. JYD says:

Can’t wait!

12. Just Laughable says:

I am confused by all the thumbs up for Mr Shoetieing, are they to see him fight the buffet again on the same card that Gunn fights on cause we all know he cannot get to Gunns weight class of 170

13. MMAmgmt says:

M.F.M.

Don’t forget Scott Hudson @ 170lbs or Nenad Cvejić @ 145lb!

;)

14. NotOAMA says:

Glad to have you back
    Missed you guys
    for starters: I’d love to see Randy Turner defend his title in a rematch with Josh Hill or fight Adrian Wooley for the WreckMMA 125lbs title and the recognition as the #1 flyweight in Canada. That’s main event worthy

How bout Gunner vs Holst for welterweight title?

Bernadel vs Whitlock sounds like and awesome fight hope Nick gives the fans what they want. Although I’m worried Steph might get knocked out

Here is an ideal match up Pablo Santos vs Rory McDonell. Seeing these two grappling wizards go at it in an all out MMA War would be a real treat. (can Rory make 45?)

That Vilaca’s was tough I remember that fight, Wreck should for sure bring him back. Or how about that scrappy little blonde kid with the foreign name I can’t pronounce? Boyhan? Damn that kid was entertaining hope to see him again on the card.

I would agree that absolutely NO EBEJER! that guys is a clown, unless maybe Robin Black kick his ass for us I’d watch that…speaking of where is Mike Reilly that would be another good rematch for Black…look at me I’m rambling about things that don’t even matter

Just glad to have Rweck back and active in the MMA community looking forward to some great fights and not just easy kills for OAMA students :)

15. joe doe says:

boots @ 155 against a top 10 155er in Canada.
    turner @ 125
    ebejer vs coletti superfight
    book it nickel!

16. AVilac says:

Love an opportunity to come back and fight for Wreck

17. jocey says: