Canadian Rumour Mill – January 28
Well, the slow MMA month of January is almost complete and the sport will kick back into a busy period in less than one short week. I wish the UFC would have scheduled a 3-4 fight fight pre or post Super Bowl show to air live on Fox, I think it would have helped the sport grow. Oh well we get UFC 156 the day before, good enough I guess.
- Some of you boys, and most of you girls will be excited to hear that Robin Black’s next MMA bout will be against Boyd Sharpe in the final of the Cubicle to the Cage show on March 9.
- There were more than a few doubters of my UFC Saskatoon rumours last week. Did you see UFC Canada’s Tom Wright response to Top MMA News asking about a Saskatchewan show on Twitter? Here it is: “
@topmmanews @UFC_CA We’re working on it! i’d love to see it happen!”
- Once hot rising MMA prospect, Jordan McKay (6-1) will look to get back in the mix after a one and a half year break and take on Chase “Red Dawg” Maxwell at Unified on June 21 at the Mirage Banquet Centre.
- Speaking of comebacks, Jarid “Da Tappa” Bussemakers (4-2) will make his return to MMA on the same June Unified show. Bussemakers will have spent over three years outside the cage having last fought in March of 2010, defeating Shannon Ritch.
- Just a fun little stat that might help explain TJ Grant’s impressive Lightweight run.. TJ Grant is landing more than 2.5 times the significant strikes per bout at LW than compared to his time at WW in the UFC.
- Congrats to Jonathan Chaimberg and Krzysztof Soszynski on being named as two of the top strength and conditioning coaches in MMA by UFC magazine.
- Here is a very tentative SFS schedule that I promised: March 29, May 3, June 21, Sept 27, Oct 25, Nov 29. Maybe Mr. Fyfe can enlighten us a little.
- It seems more and more likely that we’ll see Mike Imperato and Tyler Davis collide in the cage. Most likely at the next Pure FC event.
- Hybrid is going pro! Look for a professional Hybrid Combat event in mid-April for the Gatineau/Ottawa region by promoter Yohann Dagenais.
- Look for KB Bhullar’s younger brother Kenny to make his amateur debut shortly for AFC.
- Congratulations to Shane “Shaolin” Campbell who defeated Remy Bonnel via Unanimous Decision in his Muay Thai contest at Lion Fight 8. Shaolin used steady pressure and aggression to defeat the K-1 Max vet (w. Bang Ludwig) and looks to be eying a WMC title shot.
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: email@example.com.