Canadian Rumour Mill – January 28

Gossip Queen AssWell, the slow MMA month of January is almost complete and the sport will kick back into a busy period in less than one short week. I wish the UFC would have scheduled a 3-4 fight fight pre or post Super Bowl show to air live on Fox, I think it would have helped the sport grow. Oh well we get UFC 156 the day before, good enough I guess.

• There were more than a few doubters of my UFC Saskatoon rumours last week.  Did you see UFC Canada’s Tom Wright response to Top MMA News asking about a Saskatchewan show on Twitter?  Here it is: @topmmanews @UFC_CA We’re working on it! i’d love to see it happen!”
  • Once hot rising MMA prospect, Jordan McKay (6-1) will look to get back in the mix after a one and a half year break and take on Chase “Red Dawg” Maxwell at Unified on June 21 at the Mirage Banquet Centre.
  • Speaking of comebacks, Jarid “Da Tappa”  Bussemakers (4-2) will make his return to MMA on the same June Unified show. Bussemakers will have spent over three years outside the cage having last fought in March of 2010, defeating Shannon Ritch.
  • Just a fun little stat that might help explain TJ Grant’s impressive Lightweight run.. TJ Grant is landing more than 2.5 times the significant strikes per bout at LW than compared to his time at WW in the UFC.

• Here is a very tentative SFS schedule that I promised: March 29, May 3, June 21, Sept 27, Oct 25, Nov 29.  Maybe Mr. Fyfe can enlighten us a little.
  • It seems more and more likely that we’ll see Mike Imperato and Tyler Davis collide in the cage. Most likely at the next Pure FC event.
  • Hybrid is going pro! Look for a professional Hybrid Combat event in mid-April for the Gatineau/Ottawa region by promoter Yohann Dagenais.
  • Look for KB Bhullar’s younger brother Kenny to make his amateur debut shortly for AFC.
  • Congratulations to Shane “Shaolin” Campbell who defeated Remy Bonnel via Unanimous Decision in his Muay Thai contest at Lion Fight 8.  Shaolin used steady pressure and aggression to defeat the K-1 Max vet (w. Bang Ludwig) and looks to be eying a WMC title shot.

__________________
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: gossipqueen@topmmanews.com.

8 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – January 28 ”

1. Jerobe says:

I don’t think any of the boys on here (except the Robin Black nuthuggers) are excited that Robin is fighting another guy making his pro debut.

However I am super stoked that Datappa is making his return to the cage!

2. showtying says:

yeh right..

3. Don't Call Me Leon says:

I thought Robin Black was fighting Josh Spong at an AFC event!

yay to pro mma coming back to my neck of the woods. Hybrid is really well run and matched. Hope this carries over….

5. Vet says:

I see Black around the gym all the time he works hard. And he’s just like the nicest guy to evrybody all the time.
    But the guy aint a world beater and hed be the first to tell you that.
    I looked at his Sherdog and he fought mostly guys with more fights than him and only couple with losing records like him.
    I fought 22 times in Thailand and lost 12. My last fight was at 40 and it was against a 35 year old tourist in the ring for the first time. That win was the most precious of all to me because it was my farewell.
    Robin Black is not the first old guy lucky enough to get to finish fighting, which he cleary loves, with a coue soft fights.
    Good for him. I hope he does well.

6. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

There’s been no talk of Robin fighting Josh at AFC. That’s simply not true.

What is true though is that Iran flew a monkey into space.

7. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Jerobe, so you think more people are pumped for Bussemaker to fight again than they are for Robin?

I think more people have an opinion on Robin than Bussemaker. Whether they want to see him do well, or get his ass kicked.

8. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

I must be a Robin F Black nuthugger and one of them boys, cuz I’m pumped that Robin is getting back in there! Good luck to him an I hope he smashes the cubicle nerd hahaha!