Canadian Rumour Mill – January 21
- Rumours are UFC vet, Jason “Dooms” Day is really thinking about making a return to active MMA competition.
- Scott Fraser will challenge Elite 1 Light Heavyweight champ for his belt on the April 20th Elite 1 MMA show.
- Bellator will hold a show at Casino Rama on September 5th.
- Wyatt Lewis’ suspected killer, James Rajbhandari has been caught. Here’s a news clip on the tragic story: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/
- Ringside Bantamweight champion Stephane Pelletier could head to AFC following his ECC Bantamweight title fight in mid February. With Brent Fryia, Louis Fisette, Diego Wilson, Mike Adams, and Curtis Brigham, amongst others already with AFC, there would be no shortage of opponents for Pelletier.
- So last year there was talk of the Score Fighting Series holding more events in 2013. That was prior to Rogers buying The Score. Well, SFS still has six tentatively scheduled dates booked for 2013. Sounds like Rogers could rebrand the series as well.
- MFC has started stocking its own Bantamweight division with the signing of the 9-1 Anthony Birchak. Birchak will compete on MFC’s May show.
- Clay Davidson will replace Luke Harris who’s been forced to pull out of his MFC 36 fight. Davidson will now face Jason Zentgraf.
- Two more AFC 15 fights have been added: Aaron Armstrong vs Matt Krayco at a 160 lb catch and Jesse Arnett vs Dia Grant at 155 lbs.
- The expectation is that Ryan Ford will put on the gloves in Edmonton cage for his next bout.
- Nick Penner could return to MMA on the AFC Winnipeg card in March.
- Freedom Fight is working on having a show in Barrie, Ontario this year.
- It looks like the AFC Winnipeg show may be moved from March 22nd to the 23rd to avoid conflicting with the Winnipeg Jets game on that Friday.
- Also I’m happy to hear that the return of Curtis Demarce may happen on this show and his opponent is possibly Bruno Capdeville. This will be Demarce’s first fight since suffering serious injuries in a car accident.
- Initially Saskatchewan was looking at having Municipal MMA commissions to regulate the sport, like in Alberta. Well now I’m hearing that the UFC is looking at coming to Saskatoon and due to this the province is looking at creating a Provincial commission to handle the sport. Saskatoon sounds like it’s at the top of the UFC’s list for Saskatachewan.
- More AFC Winnipeg news and more veterans returning to the cage. Lindsey Hawkes will be “un-retiring” to compete in front of his hometown fans.
- Honor Fight will have its second show on March 23rd at the Odeon Events Centre in Saskatoon. “Second Battle” will follow up on the success that was the inaugural event and have amateur MMA and Muay Thai on this show. The show will be sanctioned by SMAA.
- The UFC’s TJ Grant and Bellator Lightweight tourney fighter Guillaume De Lorenzi both have big fight coming up in January. So what do smart Canadian boys do? They hook up and train together at FitPlus in Halifax. NS
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: email@example.com.