Best of Canada 2012: Knockout of the Year
Two fighters stand in the cage. One throws a kick, a punch, a flying knee and the other drops unconscious. To the loser, it is the most brutal aspect of MMA and to the winnner, it could be the highlight of their career. There were many knockout highlights in 2012. Here are Top MMA News‘ picks for the top knockouts in Canada for 2012.
Top MMA News Top 3 Knockouts in 2012
1. Ryan Jimmo KOs Anthony Perosh via Punch at UFC 149
The shortest debut by a Canadian fighter in UFC history may also be the best debut by a Canadian fighter in UFC history. Seven seconds into his fight with Anthony Perosh, Ryan Jimmo blew up the Saddledome with a big right hand to the jaw of his opponent. Perosh slumped to the floor, Jimmo scored the fastest KO in UFC history, won $65,000 for Knockout of the Night, and the Calgary crowd roared in appreciation for the fighter who now calls Alberta home. Easy pick for the Knockout of the Year by a Canadian in 2012!
2. Nick Denis KOs Joseph Sandoval via Standing Elbows at UFC on FX
Another 2012 UFC event and another flawless performance debut by a Canadian fighter. Nick Denis came into the UFC on the heels of a highlight KO of the Year in 2011 when he slammed Nick Mamalis unconscious. The Ninja of Love did not disappoint in his rookie UFC fight when he knocked Sandoval out with standing elbows and went home with a $45,000 Knockout of the Night bonus. It was to be Denis’ final victory and last KO highlight as, later in 2011, one of Canada’s KO kings, announced his retirement.
3. Mukai Maromo KOs Adam Lynn via Knee at MFC 34
After winning a controversial decision in their first fight, Mukai Maromo ended his rematch against Adam Lynn with an exclamation point! That exclamation point was a huge knee that sent Lynn crashing face down to the canvas. The win should have given Maromo the MFC Lightweight title. He was robbed of the title because Lynn missed weight. However, it did not rob him of the third best Knockout of the Year.
- Marcus Aurelio KOs Matt Dwyer via Slam at BFL 15 Marcus Aurelio is a KO machine – scoring Capoeira KOs and Flying Switch Kick KOs in the past. In 2012, he faced upcoming prospect Matt Dwyer and handed him his first loss by picking him up and slamming him. Watch it HERE.
- Dana Dickeson KOs Chris Johnson via Punch at Elite 1 Dana Dickeson returned to MMA after three years off and scored the biggest KO in the Maritimes in 2012. In only 17 seconds, Dickeson landed a punch that had Chris Johnson knocked out for minutes.
- Louis Fisette KOs Diego Wilson via Punch at AFC 13 Former top 10 ranked Bantamweight Wilson was supposed to rekindle his career with a win over upstart prospect Louis Fisette at AFC 13: Natural Selection. But just :37 into round 1, a big right hand from Fisette dashed Wilson’s hopes at returning to the Top 10. Who knew the kid had that kind of power? We all do now!
- Lyndon Whitlock KOs Corey Houston via Punch at SFS 4 Houston looked sharp with his stand up early in his fight with Whitlock and seemed to have the advantage standing. Momentum changed in a split second as Lyndon Whitlock landed a big hook that gave him the Knockout of the Night at SFS 4.
- Zach Blaber KOs Andrew Buckland via Punch at AFC 9 Zach Blaber showed that he was not just a journeyman fighter when he ended Andrew Buckland’s night in 10 seconds in June 2012. The win was Blaber’s sixth in a row and opened up a lot of eyes around the country.
- Sheila Bird KOs Christina Barry via Strikes at AFC 12 Sheila Bird is going to submit Christina Barry was everyone’s prediction for this tilt. No one, except her Champion’s Creed teammates, saw the world champion grappler smashing Barry to the canvas with a pair of straight rights and then KOing her on the ground. Watch it HERE.