Best of Canada 2012: Submission of the Year
2012 was a tremendous year for submissions by Canadians! The country’s MMA fighters pulled off heel hooks, club sandwiches, and flying inverse triangles. Number one and number two were rather easy to determine but it was tough to wade through all the submissions to get a number three, but we managed to do it. Here the Top MMA News Best Submissions of 2012.
Top MMA News Top 3 Submission for 2012
1. Wolfgang Janssen Flying Reverse Triangle on Aaron Armstrong at Havoc FC 1
Wolfgang Janssen was down on the cards after the first round. In the second, Aaron Armstrong goes for a takedown on Wolfgang Janssen and the result is AirWolf jumping in the air and locking on a Triangle that forces Armstrong to tap out. This highly creative submission was the unanimous choice for the Submission of the Year! You can check it out HERE.
2. Rory McDonell Gogoplata Arm Bar on Desmond Green at Score Fighting Series 7
McDonell takes us all to school with this incredibly technical submission of Desmond Green at SFS 7. Sherdog called it a Gogoplata Arm Bar, Robin Black called it a Club Sandwich, while Top MMA News simply prefers to call it the McDonell Bar. Watch it for yourself HERE and you will see it is part Gogo, part Shin Choke, and part Arm Bar and the result was a broken arm for Green. Regardless what you want to call this submission, it was a thing of beauty by Professor McDonell.
3. Bibiano Fernandes Triangle on Yoshiro Maeda at DREAM 18
Bibiano waited until the end of 2012 to get consideration for Submission of the Year. At Dream 18, Fernandes aggressively attacked Yoshiro Maeda with subs and, ultimately, puts a very tough opponent to sleep with a Triangle Choke. Check it out HERE!
- Advin Omic Arm Bar on Marcus Vinicios at AFC 8. Omic pretzels up Vinicios and ends up with an arm to take home. Check it out below.
- Ivan Menjivar had a pair of great submissions. A rear naked choke over John Albert on UFC on Fuel and a belly down arm bar on Azamat Gashimov on UFC 154. Both were very good submissions on the biggest show in the world.
- Ryan McGillivray Arm Bar on Diego Bautista at MFC 32. McGillivray was getting badly beaten by Diego Bautista when he pulled off an arm bar for a come from behind win.
- Matt Bagshaw Heel Hook on Greg Welsh at Aggression MMA 9. Bagshaw heads south and ends up with a top Featherweight’s leg for the upset win. Check it out below:
- Michel Gagnon Rear Naked Choke on Walel Watson at UFC 152. Not wanting to go 0-2 in the UFC, Gagnon quickly applies the RNC for his first win in the UFC.
Think we missed a top submission by a Canadian? Let us know by leaving a comment!