Canadian Rumour Mill – December 10

Great UFC on the weekend.  Start to finish that one was great.  Some good fights in Red Deer as well, where Clay Davidson showed he was a Middleweight to be reckoned with!

Here’s the rumours:

• The LONG awaited and much hyped grudge match rematch between Steven Rogers and Ricky Goodall is in negotiations. It looks like the fight may happen in the first quarter of 2013 and if it takes place will most likely be at 155 lbs. Along with bragging rights and a possible belt, the winner gets a bucket of lobsters!
  • We mentioned that the UFC would not go to BC due to the commission wanting a cut of the UFC’s PPV revenues, however, Rory Mac called out Carlos Condit to fight in his home grounds next March. Could this mean that the UFC has decided to return to British Columbia?
  • AFC returns to Calgary on March 15th.
  • Good news for the mainly inactive Canadian LHW division. Steve Bossé who was last seen knocking UFC vet Houston Alexander out cold in the cage in October of 2011 is all healed up from his arm injury. With Instinct MMA on the shelf, his manager Gary Chartrand may be looking to give promoting another go next May in order to get his fighter back in action.
  • Bosse’s contract with Instinct expires next February/March. He has no fight offer currently on the table from Instinct. With Aggression going national, they should really look at him to pump up their growing LHW division and as a possible challenger to Chemelli/Al Hassan.
  • While there is no sign of Instinct MMA at all, but Stephane Patry has become a columnist on RDS – the French language TSN.
  • Could Hybrid Combat step up to fill the hole that WRECK MMA left in the pro MMA scene in Ottawa/Gatineau?
  • Jason Saggo must hate the Canadian winters! He’s heading to Vietnam for December and Thailand Jan-March.
  • MMA ref Brian Beauchamp officiated Super Fight League 5 and 11. He will be returning to India in January as Beauchamp has a six month contract with SFL.
  • Ryan Chiappe (9-8) has pulled out of his MMA fight in Lebanon due to injury. He’s now scheduled to fight Mark Dobie (4-3) at BFL.
  • Did anyone see referee Todd Anderson stop a charging Rhino on November 30?  Anderson, who is quickly becoming one of the more sought after Canadian refs, stepped in front of a Doug Marshall punch so that the knocked out Kala Hose would not have more damage inflicted upon him.  Courageous stoppage!
  • Edmonton Boxing Results of MMA fighters:
    • After being knocked to the canvas three times, Jared Kilkenny rebouded to knockout Nick Dragich at 1:22 of the 3rd round.
    • Matt Jelly had a rough boxing debut losing to Max Gagne by Unanimous Decision (40-35, 39-36×2)
    • Layne MacTaggert’s fight didn’t go through as MacTaggert’s medicals were not in order.
  • After Kilkenny’s win,  Jared was challenged in the ring by Tim Hague, who holds two MMA wins over Kilkenny.  Kilkenny called out Rob Nichols, who is 5-1 and Canadian top 10 boxer.
  • Congrats to Jeff Joslin who was promoted to a 2nd stripe Black Belt this weekend by Romero “Jacare” Cavalcanti.
  • As well, congratulations to UFC fighter Claude Patrick who was promoted to a BJJ Black Belt this weekend. When will “The Prince” have his next MMA fight, his last one was way back at UFC 140?
  • Speaking of Black Belts… Look for Mike Yackulic to face off against Josh Russell at Submission Ace Championship in a BJJ Super Fight in Red Deer on February 2nd

29 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – December 10 ”

1. PUCK says:

Good job Tim, Chalange a dude you have beat before….twice? Stay retired hommie no one cares anymore.

According to Boxrec, Nichols is the #6 Heavyweight in Canada and Kilkenny is #11… looks like an awesome matchup to me!

3. K.Rasmus says:

Rob Nichols is a very good boxer !

I’d LOVE to see Hague vs Kilkenny in the boxing ring.

PUCK has no clue what he’s talking about. Go sit in the corner, put on the Dunce cap and learn some Canadian MMA history. Clown!

Tim and J-Rod have great history!

The first time they met in ’06 was a FUCKIN CRAZY fight!
    Both were Big Bad Ass up and coming wrecking balls. J-Rod was the favorite he was more developed and Tim was raw.

1st fight had a controversial “Mouthguard Incident” and was a major catalyst tin there being being a second fight.

J-Rod was getting the better of Tim. Tim was rocked and had his mouth piece come out, there was a bit of confusion and it took a bit longer to put in then normal. Those extra few secs is all that Tim needed to recover and TKO J-Rod standing. J-Rod was rocked against the cage and basically leaning there taking big shots and while leaning against the cage. Standing TKO. Was kinda a Baroni/Menne moment. It was nuts, I remember there was blood everywhere and the fans were going crazy!

On the same card Jason Day blitzed through a still good and relevant Ricardeau Francois. Doomsday made him tap once, and stopped fighting but the ref didn’t see it and Francois all the sudden decided to pretend that he didn’t tap. So the fight went on and Jason snatched on the guillotine again and fuck it looked tight and this time there was no question or denying that Francois tapped. That fight was right around where Jason Day was starting to hit his stride.

2nd fight was super hyped, Tim had become the Top HW in Canada and was the KOTC Canada HW Champ and J-Rod in my opinion had tested himself against better competition (with some positive results) and was the clear HW title challenger (His LHW fight with Valimaki at MFC was absolutely outta control. One of the all time great Edmonton MMA moments)
    Tim had just faced his first setback in a loss to Miodrag Petkovic and J-Rod had just avenged his coach Lee Mein’s loss to Chris Peak in devastating and was full of confidence.
    It was clear these two had to meet one more time. I remember the local MMA hype was huge. MEGA REMATCH!
    Tim wanting to cement his spot as the King of Canadian HWs and J-Rod as the Usurper looking to claim a crown he felt he was somewhat robbed of in their first meeting.
    And WOW, bell rings and Tim threw what would from then on become his patented fake straight followed by a hook combo and absolutely flattened J-Rod. The crowd reaction was one of the loudest moments I’ve heard in Edmonton MMA.
    And well that was that. Tim went on to be the best Canadian HW in history and J-Rod kinda struggled after that.

Awesome rivalry!

PUCK, Tim’s not your “hommie” cool guy. Take your Diaz brothers ghetto talk and ignorant comment and like you suggested maybe it’s you who should stay retired from the keyboard.

And again do I wanna see them go at it again? Fuck yea and I know a ton of others who’d wanna see it as well!

Hahaha… Gotta love having BKB around, the man is a walking MMA encyclopedia! If there’s ever an MMA Hall of Fame I nominate Bobby in the builders category!

6. Chris Ladouceur says:

IMO Kilkenny should not even walk on the same street as Rob Nichols. JRod has good power but 0% in the skills department. A boxing match between Tim and Jrod is intriguing. Confidence for Jrod is beaming right now being undefeated and knocking out a few guys in the process. Tim must feel confident in what would happen between him and Jrod.
    How the fight goes ? anybody guess.

7. yuuuuup says:

rory was talking about montreal

8. cj says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 18 Thumb down 36

9. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

Lol, that may be true. I have been called that by many different people many different times. :)

10. Eric says:

I like Bobby, he’s my kind of retard. :) U know i got mad love for u Bobby! So I too believe Ro Mac was talking about Montreal. He’s really embraced the city, and vice versa. With a best friend like Mike Ricci, it didn’t take long for Rory to fit in. Last I heard about Desilets is he was cutting wood for a living. Claveau told me recently that Martin might be back in the gym soon, but that has yet to materialize. Brian Rogers from Bellator is back in the mix at Tristar, a great sparring partner for Carmont.

That’s Eric, I appreciate it man!

Awesome to see someone like your self post on the site now.

12. Chris Ladouceur says:

BKB awesome dood!! straight up and down like 6 o’clock they don’t come much better. Drop me a message some day soon my friend.

13. Mike Davis says:

Submission Ace Cup in Actually Feb.2nd

14. Tim Hague says:

Thats basically the only reason I offered J-rod the fight. Fans love a good story line, and watching my buddy, Nick, get koed was hard.

I congratulated J-rod on a nice KO, said there was no ill will, but if he wanted a shot at redemption from our MMA encounters, I’d give him his shot in the boxing ring. I’m sure, however, that I’d have to let me MFC contract run out first.

15. Tim Hague says:

And Bobby pretty much nailed it in his posts. Very well written.

Bobby is the greatest.

Love ya man.

I’ve fixed the date for the Submission Ace Championship

18. Chris Ladouceur says:

Actually I would not think a Dragich – Kilkenny 2 is not out of the question. Especially since Tim is awaiting for the MFC contract to expire. How long is that I wonder?

19. Cameron McQueen says:

I believe Mark Hominick just retired. Sad day for Canadian mma.

20. t.r.o.n says:

Nichols vs Killkenny is redonkulous! Ladoucer is right, Killkenny can’t even lace his boots

21. Tim Hague says:

I sparred Rob Nichols one time, maybe 4 years ago. I didn’t have much skill back then but he knocked me around pretty good. His hands were heavy as hell. I’d have to look at my MFC contract, I can remember how long it was for, or when it expires. 12 months, 18 months, not sure exactly.

22. Chris Ladouceur says:

I do think Dragich-Kilkenny 2 makes sense. Maybe Nick can learn a few things from this and get Jrod which could set up a rubber macth. Both Nick and Jrod need some WORK in the technical department. In turn if Tims contract expires around July/August all that could happen and give Tim tike to have a match or 2 then tack on Jrod or Dragich if he comes out on top.

23. MBK says:

Nicely done Bobby. Still my favourite terrorist.

24. LBoutin says:

I’d much ether see Hague vs Kilkenny in the MFC then boxing. It would pretty much be the same fight but with smaller gloves :). Their first fight was great, second was super too quick, but equally exciting.

I’d like to see a third even though Hague won the first two. This way they wouldn’t have to wait for Hague’s MFC contract to run out.

25. LBoutin says:

Should say “much rather” and “super quick”. lol I suck at iPhones and the Internet in general.

Thanks for the support guys HAHAHA!

Anyways let’s go to more exciting topics other than the Bobby love in! :) LOL!

I’m pretty pumped about the Submission Ace Championship. I’ll definitely be attending this event.
    I’m pulling for Mike Yackulic. He’s not only a real good BJJ and MMA guy but also a solid dude!

27. Mma Truth says:

Tims irrelevant and retired.

Hopefully stays that way

28. Joe Doerksen says:

@ mmatruth. If Tim was irrelevant, you wouldn’t have posted about him.

29. Keelan Smyth says:

Did that local mma company ERA shut down, they used to sponsor some pretty big names like Douglas Lima & Donald Cerrone for one of his WEC fights