Fivestar Card in WayWay Cancelled

The Fivestar Fight League 3 card scheduled for December 8 in WayWayseecappo, Manitoba has been cancelled.   The card had fighters such as Mariusz Ksiazkiewicz, Martin Trendota, and Aaron Shmyr on the card.

Top MMA News contacted Fivestar promoter Orest Zmyndak, who confirmed the news citing many issues that led up to the cancellation.  Zmyndak issued the following statement,

Unfortunately being several provinces away, we couldn’t keep on top of every situation and relied on a number of certain local people to carry out necessary duties. Many of these were left unattended and did not come to our attention until recently. We were initially promised the ice arena and then a few days ago were told that they had no coverings for the surface and had to move to the adjacent bingo hall. Very few posters were put up and tickets were not delivered to outlets. Radio advertising was to commence this Wednesday but promo tickets and posters were not delivered to the station. We truly believe the locals had the best intentions of bringing a show to their community but failed to follow through due to lack of commitment.  Without this commitment, an event in such an isolated area, which alone has several unusual challenges, could not be completed successfully. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused fighters and trainers and we will endeavour to put the fighters that stayed with us through this ordeal on future shows.

46 Responses to “ Fivestar Card in WayWay Cancelled ”

1. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Brutal

What a waste of time. I feel sorry for the fighters who were training and preparing for this opportunity.

You’d think this was the first time these guys promoted?

Relying on locals you’ve never met? Way to throw them under the bus.

Stick to the sticks in Alberta and BC and stay out of manitoba. We need more real promoters who actually care about the sport, not just looking to make a quick buck.

In hind site might it have made sense to at least come to manitoba once?

I like the lack of a accountability on the promotions part.

Stellar work guys ;)

So and so didn’t do their job, and this guy never put up posters, and the arena never did stuff, and other people didn’t do stuff……

The lame for the above always goes to the top.

Everything stated is just a textbook example of poor subordinate selection, poor task delegation and poor people management.

I other words, being unequipped with the skills to run a show.

I like Orest and my dealings with him have always been excellent.

But this statement above may have well have said “we discovered we were woefully unequipped for this venture and have discovered we need massive improvements in the areas of subordinate selection, task delegation and people management, among others.”

It would be better received if it was.

3. Idolmaker says:

Litany of excuses, zero accountability.

4. STUBBS says:

Brutal is right

5. TCloud says:

I know I am probably going to get a lot of thumbs down for this post but I think I owe an apology and an explanation for the cancelled Wayway show.

First of all I would like to apologize to the fighters who have sacrificed their time and efforts to get ready for this show. I’m sorry.

I got into this with the best of intentions but the truth is I just couldn’t secure enough corporate sponsors to make this show happen.

I don’t want people to think that I was deliberately wasting everyone’s time. I tried hard to make this show possible. Unfortunately that’s not the way things turned out.

I fought for Fivestar once before and I have nothing but good things to say about Orest and their organization.

I would also like to apologize to all the people that were involved with promoting and licensing the show. I just hope this does not reflect too badly on me or my community.

6. AMLEHTC says:

Can you change your forum name to TPain?

7. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Travis, you weren’t the promoter so you have nothing to worry about.

You were taken advantage of and until it no longer benefitted them, they pulled the plug.

They have been promoting enough years to know how it works and its brutal they were only going to run a show if you could get the money for it.

The reasoning for the cancellation just proved how serious te promotion was about this show. In my opinion that reason should be justification on why they shouldn’t be promoters.

8. BANE says:

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

9. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Who’s the devil?

10. AMLEHTC says:

Someone doesn’t like rap music

11. BANE says:

No one cared who I was, until I put on the mask

12. EPerez says:

NEED

13. BANE says:

Bows not the time for fear, that comes later.

14. AMLEHTC says:

Didn’t Warren Phillips do the same thing as Bane is doing except he would do comic book quotes from Wolverine or Weapon X or whatever?

15. BANE aka Idolmaker says:

Idk… I was watching the dark knight rises… I like Bane.

16. Darrell marsh says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 10 Thumb down 20

I would love to call and chat. I have a genuine interest in the health and well being of the business in Canada, and an honest interest in this business and its challenges.

Please send me your info to robinfblack@hotmail.com I’d love to chat about it.

Thanks Darrell look forward to talkin.

18. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Who couldn’t do a better job than announcing a show. Doing minimal work on it, then pulling the plug with 10 days to go.

I do think I could do better than that.

Please enlighten us with what happened since you claim we don’t know shit.

LOL @ real mans chat. It’s called accountability. Google it.

19. BANE aka Idolmaker says:

I have a strong feeling, that extends beyond my gut, that both Robin and MAD, could definitely run a show successfully.

20. NOT Ill Say It says:

Wait a second..
    Wasnt Marc-Andre Drolet the guy who booked a card in Yellowknife a while back and relied on the locals to promote it and then pulled the card 2 weeks out??
    Hmmmm

The Kettle

21. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

I wasn’t the promoter for that event. I was hired as th matchmaker. I put a card together, had about 90% o the Medicals completed, a signed contract from all fighters and the local promoter pulled the plug.

It was very unfortunate but was completely out of my hands.

The promoter for the Yellowknife show hired me to do certain tasks and I handled everything in my control. It was sad that he decided to pull the plug and go awol.

This would be applicable if the local guys were the promoters and cancelled the show when money was an issue.

22. Ill Say It says:

Say whatever you like to save face Marc, the people involved know the truth.

Accountability*

23. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Everybody involved knows exactly what happened.

All involved had accountability except the promoter.

Try all you’d like to make up some phantom truth.

If you know otherwise just say it. I’m curious what you mean.

24. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

I have no need to save face. I don’t work for anybody and am just a fan of the sport with an opinion.

For over 10 years I’ve always been vocal when I thought people were doing the sport harm.

25. Big Hank says:

The above statement from Orest is a little vague, Ive heard a lot of other things were factored in with the cancellation of the event, hopefully they give a more detailed statement soon.

Ive worked with Orest on a few other shows and hes always been a standup guy, perhaps if you guys have such an issue with him, you should pick up the phone and give him a call.. Im sure you have his number.

At least people didnt end up paying for a ticket to see 5 fights like AFC or KOTC

EXAMPLE #1: Five Star Fight League Show

Promoter: Five Star Fight League

Hired: Locals with no relevant business experience and inexplicably expected them to take care of venue, marketing, etc etc despite the fact that that would be ill-advised by even a rudimentary business analysis.

Outcome: When, predictably, there was no sign of a show coming together, show was canceled 10 days out. Fighters training hard are left in the cold.
    Promoter publicly throws inexperienced locals under the bus.

EXAMPLE 2: Yellowknife Rumble Show

Promoter: Yellowknife local promoter

Hired: 2 or 3 Canadian MMA experts including experienced matchmaker and coordinator Marc-Andre Drolet. By all accounts, the employee Drolet matched a quality card, made travel arrangements, coordinated transport of cage, and had the tasks he was hired for completed.

Outcome: Inexplicably, 2 weeks out from the show, local Yellowknife promoter disappears. Dead by gangsters? Ran away with whatever money there was? Scared? Moved? No one knows.
    Commission and employees, after searching for promoter for days, pull the plug.
    Employees are not paid, full card of fighters are canceled.
    Promoter still unheard from.

If “I’ll See It” and “Big Hank” are through taking shots at AFC and KOTC and MAD, they’ll probably see the massive difference here.

Or maybe not.

All the best.

27. Darren Owen says:

Big Hank do you know how to count? There has only ever been 1 AFC event that has had 7 fights. Doctor pulled one an hour before and 3 injuries in 4 days prevented an other. We gave more fighters fights in 2012 than any other promotion in Canada.

28. Darren Owen says:

And I guarantee MAD and Robin would be able to put in a hell of a show!

I am not crazy enough to promote lol.

Hard thankless business and the media and analysts are assholes lol.

30. NOT Ill Say It says:

Well if the watchful eye of Robin Black from the other side of the country says it on a comment feed, it must be true..
    You have all the answers.
    Perhaps you were the promotor! LOL!

Us closer to the event know the actual details.
    Thanks

PS- Darren,

Your show sucks

Shut up

31. Louis Fisette says:

So your defenition of sucks, what does that consist of… putting on great events? signing 2 ex UFC fighters to have fight on their shows? travelling across western Canada to put solid shows on?? OHHH wait probably them sucking consists of them putting on 2 shows in 2 night in different provinces… Now i see how AFC sucks!

32. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

“Us closer to the event know the actual details.
    Thanks”

Why continue to threaten that you have some info we don’t.

Just share what it is or stop bringing it up.

“Us closer to the event know the actual details.”

Only going with the information intentionally released in the statement.

Also, tell us who you are or we’ll assume you know nothing. I can tell you I’m close to Mitt Romney behind a screen name, assume its not true.

I’m cutting weight for weigh ins tomorrow (yes this is how I pass time when I want to be distracted from something and anyone who’s cut weight knows sometimes a distraction is what you need) so patience kinda goes out the window today.

Whatever, they made mistakes either in their approach or their statement or both live and learn.

34. BooHoo says:

All of this is funny ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It seems its been a setback month for most canadain promotions, AFC, KOTC & Fivestar

It seems Promoting isnt as easy as everyone seems to think. Hope they all learn and come back stronger.

35. I'll Say It says:

Hey Robin the above I’ll sAy it is not me looks like you are talking with somebody who is not intelligent enough to make their own screen name

36. I'll Say It says:

Just want to make sure you all know I do not put down Robin, MAD or Darren. And I see this person is
    Ill Say it and I am I’ll say it lol

37. @I’ll Say It… I confirmed Ill Say It is not I’ll Say It so I made it NOT Ill Say It.

38. I'll Say It says:

Thank you Keith I just seen that and the one up above that is not me either thank you, I get enough thumbs down lol

39. Sean Quinn says:

I’m very confused.

40. AMLEHTC says:

TPain ,please clarify

41. MMAPolice says:

AFC does suck and people are pissed in Edmonton and bad.

42. AMLEHTC says:

shut up Scott Zerr

43. Chief says:

I guess all canadain promotions suck according to this site and everyone on it! Lets just stop MMA in Canada I guess!

Fights fall off, Cards get canceled, even the UFC couldnt do it right in Calgary and canceled a card lately.
    Get Real people, things dont always go as planned!

44. @Chief…

If people really believe that Top MMA News thinks all Canadian promotions suck, we will shut the site down. My whole vision for the site is to cover every MMA fight in Canada because we LOVE Canadian MMA. We believe there are places for low, medium, and high level shows in Canada and we try to cover them all. If that love for Canadian MMA is not coming across, we are doing an extremely poor job.

I would say the same goes for all of our lovely Top MMA News commenters. If they are on this site, they LOVE Canadian MMA and will always give their opinions on who is hurting it, who is helping it, and how we all can improve it.

45. AMLEHTC says:

Why would people thumbs down that post^

46. bodybuildingboxing says:

I am getting sick of people posting and hating on events and even throwing hits at topmmanews. Lets change the subject already! Who is the best lightweight and best welterweight in Manitoba?