UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche – February 23

Date: February 23, 2013
Venue: Honda Center in Anaheim, California
TV: Pay-Per-View, FX and Facebook
Tickets:

Fight Card: (PPV – 10pm et)
135lbs- Ronda Rousey (6-0) vs. Liz Carmouche (7-2)
***Women’s Bantamweight Title Fight

205lbs- Dan Henderson (29-8) vs. Lyoto Machida (18-3)
135lbs- Ivan Menjivar (25-9) vs. Urijah Faber (26-6)
185lbs- Court McGee (13-3) vs. Josh Neer (33-12-1)
170lbs- Josh Koscheck (17-6) vs. Robbie Lawler (19-9)

Preliminary Card: (Sportsnet/FX – 8pm et)
265lbs- Lavar Johnson (17-6) vs. Brendan Schaub (8-3)
155lbs- Mike Chiesa (8-0) vs. Anton Kuivanen (17-5)
145lbs- Matt Grice (15-4) vs. Dennis Bermudez (9-3)
155lbs- Sam Stout (18-8-1) vs. Caros Fodor (7-2)

Preliminary Card: (Facebook – 6:30pm et)
170lbs- Brock Jardine (9-2) vs. Kenny Robertson (11-2)
170lbs- Neil Magney (7-1) vs. Jon Manley (7-1)
170lbs- Nah-Shon Burrell (8-2) vs. Yuri Villefort (6-1)

27 Responses to “ UFC 157: Rousey vs. Carmouche – February 23 ”

UPDATE: Added Ivan Menjivar vs. Urijah Faber

UPDATE: Added Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche

3. Rickybobby says:

First openly gay fighter to headline a UFC card

UPDATE: Added Neil Magny vs. Jon Manley

UPDATE: Added Lavar Johnson vs. Brendan Schaub

UPDATE: Added Court McGee vs. Josh Neer

7. Jamie Locke says:

I got the Dentist all day in that one!

UPDATE: Added Mike Chiesa vs. Anton Kuivanen

UPDATE: Added Josh Koscheck vs. Robbie Lawler

UPDATE: Added Chad Mendes vs. Manny Gamburyan and Matt Grice vs. Dennis Bermudez

11. Added Stout vs Fodor.

12. Marv says:

Anybody else as pumped for this card as I am?? As long as everyone stays healthy

13. I wish i was as pumped for this card as everybody, but i guess thats why my girlfreind calls me her two pump chump.

UPDATE: Manny Gamburyan out due to injury, Chad Mendes removed after no suitable replacement found.

15. Slim says:

Marv! You jinxed it!

16. King Kong says:

Weak card. Comparable to the Calgary UFC

17. Donald Duck says:

I thought the UFC swaped the Hendo/Drago fight in for the main event?

Anywho…

135lbs- Ronda Rousey (6-0) vs. Liz Carmouche (7-2)

– I’ve seen Ronda fight live and said at the time that she was going to be dominant but that she’s also a one trick pony… that trick being world class judo. The problem is I can’t forget the last world class Judoka who showed up on the scene and ran everyone over until he got figured out. Where is Sudoku now?

Liz might be the person to stuff Ronda’s throw, Meisha came close and Liz has a better transitional game IMO.

Carmouche via decision.

205lbs- Dan Henderson (29-8) vs. Lyoto Machida (18-3)

– Machida folded up Dan’s buddy like a lawn chair and has shown that he isn’t afraid of or bothered by wrestlers. Couple that with the ability to sit inside the pocket and do damage. He’s younger and full of piss and… well piss.

Hendo won’t get KO’d by the Dragon but two of Machida’s Blackhouse brothers have subbed Hollywood.

Machida via sub – round 2.

135lbs- Ivan Menjivar (25-9) vs. Urijah Faber (26-6)

– This fight would have been awesome 6 years ago…. as a rematch to their first fight.

Ivan was getting outworked but was keeping it competitive in their first match prior to getting DQ’d for an illegal kick. Menji hits hard and grapples well but it will be in the transitions where this fight is won or lost.

Faber at 135 is very scray and his pace will match up nicely with Ivan.

Gonna have to pull out my commemorative Tito “Cracked Skull” Ortiz coin and flip it and…

I have spicy cesars and FOTN.

170lbs- Josh Koscheck (17-6) vs. Robbie Lawler (19-9)

Lawler’s biggest problem is people who insist on not standing in front of him and waiting for him to uncork his right hand. Don’t get me wrong I’ve always enjoyed a Lawler fight but he seems like the kind of guy who’d stand outside a bar and scream “HIT ME!” to a parking meter.

Koscheck has not seemed himself since GSP caved in his eye socket however he did manage to convince Hendricks to not punch him and make it a grappling match which was a neat trick and applicable to this fight.

Koscheck by submission – round 2

265lbs- Lavar Johnson (17-6) vs. Brendan Schaub (8-3)

I’ll sum this fight up quickly. Schaub is too damn small for 265 and too damn big for 205. He’s another argument for a 225 weight class (cruiser weight or something) because he’d be a destroyer at that weight. Unfortunately for him his ability to get KO’d links up nicely with Lavar’s ability to KO people.

Johnson via TKO – round 2

155lbs- Mike Chiesa (8-0) vs. Anton Kuivanen (17-5)

Alpha Male vs ATT. I wonder if Urijah has a clause in his contract that requires at least one other team mate to be on the card with him. Chiesa is a durable fighter with a solid pace in the ring. Anton should be able to match that (see his fight with Mitch for proof of that) and it is with that fight alone that I see Anton having the skills to win.

Anton via Decision

185lbs- Court McGee (13-3) vs. Josh Neer (33-12-1)

Every time I’ve seen Court he looks like he just got bad news. Josh on the other hand always seems to be smiling. I’m not sure which is a better life approach but what I do know is that Court is a natural middleweight while Neer is a decent sized welterweight. I applaud Josh for taking this fight but…

McGee by TKO – round 1

155lbs- Sam Stout (18-8-1) vs. Caros Fodor (7-2)

Hands of Stone, a Thompson (RIP) product versus Fodor who is a Hume student in what could best be called a “welcome to the big leagues” fight. Hume is easily one of the best MMA generals and his guys always game plan very well for their fights and he’s going to need it because if he isn’t perfect he’s going to get run over. Stout doesn’t make too many mistakes and has a grinding style that few but the best emerge on top of. Fodor got subbed by Ryan Ford’s favorite 155er and that doesn’t bode well for him.

Donnie

Stout by TKO – round 2

UPDATE: Added Nah-Shon Burrell vs. Yuri Villefort, Court McGee vs. Josh Neer promoted to main card replacing Mendes vs. Gamburyan

19. Donald Duck says:

Two days…

20. Carmouche fighting off the judo throws and arm bars for five rounds Donnie? I’ll take the easy pick: Rousey in 2.5 minutes or less.

21. Showtying's Former Ghost Writer now Auditioning for Robin's Ghey Azz Writer says:

If Rousey takes this in under 2.5 min I’ll email everyone the naked photos of Robin that I accidentally downloaded the other day…

22. Donald Duck says:

Crap… now everyone knows I was Showtying’s ghost writer.

Donnie

23. Let’s hope I am wrong then.

24. Donald Duck says:

Looks like I’m not posting nudes…

The Rousey puzzle is almost solved though.

Sarah showed you can stuff the Judo throw and Liz used the throw to take her back.

Not sure there is another fighter kicking around that can use this information but as the devision deepens Ronda will have to expand her game or she’s going to get beaten quickly.

Donnie

PS – If Cecil Peoples says you won a fight doesn’t that mean you lost? He scored the Ronda/Liz fight 68 to Pineapple for Rogan.

25. Mike kent says:

I don’t know what u show people by losing in a minute like Sarah , I though Rhonda was done for sure when Liz had her back though . Crazy she didn’t tap .

26. Donald Duck says:

Are you serious Mike?

Sarah was the first person in 7 fights to stuff the entry Judo throw Ronda uses to set up her armbar. Ronda had to go into her bag of tricks to finish the throw.

Liz used that bit to not only stuff the throw but attack and take the back.

Donnie

27. I would love to see Sheila Bird fight Rousey. That won’t be happening any time soon though.