Spencer and Maromo to Meet in MFC Lightweight Title Fight
(MFC PRESS RELEASE)
The Maximum Fighting Championship’s top-ranked lightweight, Mukai Maromo, has signed a new multi-fight deal and a championship bout agreement for MFC 36: Reality Check.
Maromo (8-2), the MFC’s No. 1 contender in the 155-pound division, will meet former foe Graham Spencer (9-1, 1 no contest) for the MFC lightweight crown in the co-main event of MFC 36 on Friday, Feb. 15 at the Shaw Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, and live on AXS TV Fights.
“All along my plan has been to become the MFC lightweight champ,” said Maromo. “I want to become the first Canadian-based fighter to win that belt. I want to make that mark, and then I want to defend the title successfully. After that I’ll see where my journey takes me next.”
Maromo previously dropped a decision to Spencer and ‘The Afrikan Assassin’ is desperately seeking a substantial measure of revenge. Nothing would erase the bitterness of that earlier defeat more than a victory in a championship bout.
“That loss has stuck with me, and I need to get it back,” added Maromo, who also hinted that if he does land the MFC’s lightweight belt, he may also go after the title in the MFC’s newly instituted featherweight division.
MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich was not only delighted to sign Maromo to the title fight, but equally ecstatic to have one of the most electrifying fighters in the organization on board with a long-term agreement.
“Many fans and mixed martial arts insiders already view Mukai as the uncrowned champion. Well, what a better way to prove that you truly are the champion than by getting a measure of revenge against the last guy to beat you,” said Pavelich.
“Mukai and Graham are elite-level fighters –two of the very best in the entire MFC – and they should fight for the title.”
Maromo (Twitter: @afrikanassassin) has been on a tear of late, winning five straight in impressive style. Originally from Zimbabwe and now living in Edmonton, Alberta, Maromo is coming off back-to-back wins over hard-nosed U.S. Marine Adam Lynn at MFCs 33 and 34. Their rematch came to an epic conclusion with Maromo demonstrating his vast striking arsenal en route to a stirring second-round TKO finish that earned him a second career Knockout of the Night honor.
Prior to those two bouts, Maromo rattled off a Knockout of the Night victory over Scott Cleve at MFC 30, and then bested Sabah Fadai at MFC 31 in a matchup that earned the pair the MFC’s Fight of the Year for 2011. Maromo boasts four knockout wins and three victories via submission on his resume.
Spencer (Twitter: @gspence145), who hails from Nanaimo, British Columbia, made his first foray into the Maximum Fighting Championship at MFC 35 and had no trouble cruising to a tidy decision win over Shane Nelson.
A holder of four victories via submission, Spencer will ride a four-fight winning streak into the title fight.
The lone previous lightweight champion in MFC history is Antonio McKee, who defeated Derrick Noble for the belt at MFC 20, and successfully defended it at MFC 26 against Luciano Azevedo.
Tickets for MFC 36: Reality Check are on sale now and available via the MFC Ticket Hotline by calling (780) 504-2024.